Arty Sex Nerf

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Sneaky, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

BE Arties seem to really like the NF cv, and i mean REALLY like the NF cv, quite often you'll see an arty doing its business in the endgame screen, with the cannon thrusting into the CV repeatedly.

So maybe turn arties from close combat deathsprayers to ranged support by delaying the explosion until the shell is descending. I know realism means dick all in Empires, but artillery NEVER EVER fires at something from below EVER in reality, and if they did the blast radius would make it the last shot that arty ever fired.

2. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

This has to been done just because of balancing.
    I also saw some games, where a lonely BE arty tank drives a successfully ninja attack.
    And both suggestions (delay the explosions, damage to arty) are good.

3. Jayson

Jayson Member

Artys should also not be able to fire when moving make it like the mortar they can only fire when stopped this will stop people using artys like tanks

-Jason

4. Bass

Bass Member

Or we could always move arties back to the advanced chassis tree so I don't have to deal with an arty war every map...

5. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

arties should be able to damage themselves more than other tanks - doing this would rip apart such a small tank, so why does it only remove 1.5 plates of armour?

6. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

EXCELLENT IDEA.

I've done the NF comm quite a few times, and I've commed quite a few times.
    I agree BE arty is overpowered with destroying the comm.
    I agree whoever gets arty first wins.

7. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Only if our com doesn't get destroyed by light tanks first.

anyways, arty should be moved back up, why did they move it down anyways?

8. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Making tanks/vehicles in general able to injure themselves due to blast radius would be pretty awesome.

Or just make it so arties can't hit anyone up close. Change hitboxes so it can't get under them and enforce a larger minimum firing angle (relative to horizon, not tank).

9. arklansman

arklansman Member

Maybe that should be put into the very first Empires release.

10. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

Because it barely ever got used before.

11. Sherbie

Sherbie Member

Yes, but dont you see? Someone has to go to the past and tell this the devs or they would never have implemented it! And the universe as we know it will collapse into a singularity! :U

12. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

I disagree whoever gets arty first wins.

When 2.2 first came out I was always the crazy guy going "dude comm, get arty we'll f-kin win instantly". For a while it worked because no one knew what to do against them. Now its more common to see the arty-rushing team lose because the enemy knows how to stop them from going rambo. The arties sit behind things and shoot blindly, eventually getting flanked, costing the team thousands in res, losing the game.

Anyway the thread is only about the BE arty + NF comm + explosive ejaculation = abortion of game. Yeah something should be done, so what do you recommend Mr. OP? The least invasive surgery I think is to shrink the NF CV, but that might look silly with the current model, and new models are a no-no. Other than that we have -Self destruction of arties, -CV doesnt receive heat from arty -CV doesnt receive damage from arty -push arties back to where they were, rusting from disuse -ask sirsnipes for one of his awesome models -get used to the idea that the NF CV will be oddly small looking.

Or you could just place turrets and walls and research decent tanks.

13. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

Shrink, in fact, shrink all of NF's stuff please (not including their light tanks). or make their walls to scale with everything else. between those two things, I think its pretty clear.

14. spellman23

spellman23 Member

My apologies. I was implying more damage than they get now.

Could also help against the ramming enemy tank and unloading issue.

15. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

Mr. OP had a simple solution right after the problem:

Along with no more dual arty, moving the arty back to advanced chassis and thier high price this will sufficiently reduce their impact on the game I think.

16. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

I thought you just said to increase the damage an arty does to itself, so that NF comm sex wont work anymore. I don't think making the shell wait to descend first will be necessary.

But moving it back up the tree is stupid cause it never got used there. Dual arties shouldnt have happened, I don't know exactly what the testers tested. But if those are removed entirely, all arty cannons will be slow and medium-to-long range. Then they can't participate in tank fighting and can't go rambo by charging a base.

The role of arty should be like taking a tank, removing all of its fighting capabilities, and maxing out its damage to buildings and nearby unlucky tanks. Right now its a little too strong on both, and removing the dual smalls ought to do the trick. I would personally like to keep the strategy of getting meds & arties instead of heavies, where the meds support the arties, so it shouldn't be cubbyholed again in the research tree.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  17. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

That isn't my idea, it's what I heard is going to happen anyway and I think arties weren't used much in 2.12 because nukes did the same job but better. Unless arty damage was changed in 2.2 somehow.

18. Kai

Kai Member

I want the same thing to be done to mortars.