Artillery "Buttsecks" Rush

Discussion in 'Support' started by BitterJesus, Jan 10, 2009.

1. RKB53

RKB53 Member

wut? i killed the arty and a apc shooting got the other 2 apcs

2. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

fixed now?

3. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Not as much a problem as some people think. I think the easiest fix is to increase the weight of the small arty cannon and decrease the total weight for arty to be able to do a 20 engine, 1/1/2/2 reactive, and a small cannon at it's new weight.

arty is kinda rediculous at it's current weight limits, as you can't even max it out with 2 smalls and full reactive.

4. OuNin

OuNin Member

If you let an artillery tank _of all tanks_ break your lines, you have it coming.

5. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

With reactive and 3phase its just as easy as a med and with more health.

6. OuNin

OuNin Member

A tank in your territory as an inherent disadvantage. :u

7. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

I agree with Metal Smith. Another problem is that the small arty-cannons don't produce enough heat if you have anything better than standard/bio-engine.

8. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

I hate it when people say this. This is clearly coming from somebody who does not command often. First, if I have good players on my team, they will probably warn me and I can move. However, if my team sucks, it doesn't matter how many turrets I set up (I'll explain later), the artillery will still be able to rush through and rape me within 2 seconds.

Assuming I have lvl 1 turrets (not rushing electric because I'm not BE COM) I'm going to place about 8-10 of them around the base so no matter where the enemy is, the turrets will always be hitting him. Even if all those are ml turrets, only about 4 of them will be able to hit the enemy at the same time, 4 hits from ML to artillery with reactive is nothing. I'll be red and smoking before I'm able to do anything.

9. OuNin

OuNin Member

Whenever I do use artillery, I feel guilty because I can fully plate myself with a good engine and cannon.

The weight should be nerfed.

10. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Maybe restrict arty to having only 1-2 plates per side? Any arty who wanders onto the front line should be instakillable.

11. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

just make it so the self-damage aspect of artillery (or all tanks for that matter) do more damge at close range to them selves, hence making it moot as you would kill your tank first.

no one EVER has close tank combat like they do in empires and its frankly stupid. Yes its fun to ram the shit out of ppl but to be able to recklessly fire while doing it ? i think not.

12. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

If not mentioned, BE arty can do the same to NF meds and heavys.

13. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

As long as we are on the subject of tanksecks, light tanks can pin BE medium tanks by ramming into their sides, making it impossible for them to fire back or escape. Since the turret is so long, you can do nothing but shoot on the other side of the light tank, and try fruitlessly to get away. This may or may not have changed since the last time I've seen this happen.

14. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

This is a feature.

The artillery buttsecks should not be. If Emp devs actually intended it to be that way then they must be insane thinking it would be balanced.

15. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

@Jcw87: In that case, maybe the BE med's barrel should be made slightly shorter. Just slightly.
    @arty "feature" topic: I think artillery tanks should have the turret always pointing around 45 degrees into the air or higher, and the heat of the explosive taken out of all artys, incase anyone actually nails the enemy CV with an arty.

16. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

it's a feature that the NF light tanks can be completely invulnerable to any tank they ram into?

umm, no.

17. Drag

Drag Member

Hmm. Medium tank still have a problem against light tanks glueing to their side. My answer: Keep distance or have a buddy cover you (he can rape the non moving LT easily)

Or even use homing missiles, they win.

About the topic of this thread:

Note that in next version the CV will actually take a lot more heat from everything than before. This is intended. Yes, this might rape some commanders. Good riddance. Anyhow, this 2x small arty problem will be a lot worse due to that I reckon. So...

I just talked to dizzy about it and he is now going to set the weapon limit of the artillery to 1. This should prevent 2x small arty spam against CV's but makes small arty a bit pointless in my opinion.

Arty heat to target will not be removed, its useful if you use the arty as a means for tank supression.

18. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

From "Damage To Heat Absorbed" "0.12" to "Damage To Heat Absorbed" "0.012".

To move it to the same scale area as other armors are.

19. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Easier way; instead of changing the weapon limit, make it a 2 slot cannon. It will make far more sense when customizing a vehicle to those trying to fit 2 small. Limiting it to 1 small when you can fit 2 will seem like a bug to many.

20. Omneh

Omneh Member

Make it two slot and call it "Cluster Artillery Cannon"

:D

AND FIX THE BUG THAT DOESN'T LET YOU PUT TWO CANNONS ON BE HEAVIES D: D: D: D: