Another Game-Type Idea

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Broccoli, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Here's another idea I had about a new game-type, I have nowhere near enough time to work on it myself, so I thought I'd throw it out there and see if any of you guys were interested.

Basically, it's hide and seek. It'd take place in a run-down urban environment, with narrow streets but open roads. The objective is to destroy the enemy's CV, as always, only on this map the CV is totally useless. It can't build anything, making it a total liberty.

The success of a map like this would be linked to:
    • The number of available hiding places
    • The visibility distance (so that you can't spot the CV from the other side of the map)
    • Permanent spawn points littered all across the map, for both teams
    • Randomised starting positions
    • The imbalance between the size of the 2 CV's
    I picture a total mine-fest out in the streets, while infantry on foot try to hunt down the enemy CV in garages, parking lots and alleyways. Basically, if you are found, you'd better move quickly. I don't see the game ending too quickly though, because both teams are limited to infantry. The mortar is their most powerful weapon, and it takes a fair amount of time to take down a CV with that (unless you can 9-mine it, in which case you deserve to win).

A ninjas heaven, but also open to more sneaky tactics. For example, place the majority of your defensive force in one area of the map, whilst hiding the CV in some other location with only a couple of well-hidden guards. Where do you think the enemy is going to push for in this situation?

It doesn't even matter if you only meet other soldiers occasionally, it's tension that this game-type is all about. Running through a destroyed city should be fun enough.

Feel free to call me an idiot, but I'd like to play this ^^

2. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

I can see this taking ages to end :p Should be interesting nonetheless though :)

3. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Reminds me of Myth 2 where you had one guy to protect and lost when he died.

4. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

my immediate knee-jerk reaction is to salivate all over my keyboard at the very IDEA of this map. It would be an SMG scout's wet dream, even without sabotage to use on buildings. I guess there are complications and other people would probably hate it, but I would never get tired of this concept.

The only issue I have is how you're going to manouver your CV to a hidden location on a tight and close-quarters map. That might be difficult and make the CV's location easy to determine.

This is how I imagine a map like district should be, very few large open streets dominated by lots of alleyways, nooks, crannies, and alternative passages.

5. picard131

picard131 Member

I love it! And if you wanted to spice it up, perhaps add in a few buildables that block some of the larger passageways or sabotagables that make things a bit harder for the other team.

6. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

I think someone could put this together quickly if they used the District buildings and art.

7. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

this reminds me of when ns was first released, I was playing a 2v2 on ns caged where we rines had jetpacks, and I kept hiding the command console in the weirdest places, on top of their hive, in vents, in lower areas, corners etc. That game mustve took for ages, we had cc's and ips everywhere and everytime they found one we were already building another somewhere else xD.

If anyone remembers the first version of ns_caged you can imagine how many places there are in that map to hide a cc and get to with a jetpack without the aliens noticing :D

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  8. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I can just picture it, your whole team moving down a long narrow alley way, you get to half way, when suddenly the enemy CV appears at the end. "SHIT!" cries one guy, spraying his clip into the approaching vehicle. everyone else turned and ran, but it was too late, the thing ran down man after man after man, it's wheels so stained with human fluids that when it finally breaked at the end of the alley, it skidded in blood to a bone curdling stop...

9. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

you could make it an apc for each side - possibly with no guns? that way you'd spawn in it, lose when it died as you cant respawn and wouldnt have to try and disable the comm bit (which may be easy). They'd be similar sizes but you'd have the imbalance instead fromone having a hatch where someone can sit with infinite ammo.

10. KILLX

KILLX Banned

the HMG can fire faster than you get ammos

11. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

APC instead would be great...

12. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

13. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Love that comic; but he doesn't update often >.<

14. Razorbud

Razorbud Coder

Great idea, maybe should block spectators aswell on hide-and-seek maps

15. supaste

supaste Member

counter strike protect the VIP...

16. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Yes, if the VIP is a tank/apc, both teams have one, and there is no goal zone.

17. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

I thought of that myself, but what if one team had it, and the other had a time limit.