Anchor

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Goose, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Goose

Goose Member

A nice feature I would like to see added to the game is for the comm to have the ability to anchor himself. When he is in anchor mode, he is unable to move or be moved by enemy fire or mines. Anchoring should take 20-30 seconds so in case the base is raided and the comm is anchored, he must be quick to move. Times can change, but I thought this would cut down on griefing, maybe even implement it as a server option.

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Perhaps a mode which entrenches the CV? It can be taken off in about 10 seconds, but would cut the damage by 50% and make it totally immobile.

It would be good against arty and ninjas, but a couple of heavy tanks would blow the crap out of it if they got in.

You could do it just by spawning a sandbag prop to surrout the CV or something when the mode is active.

Or maybe it adds another bunch of armor plates? And makes all the armor tougher? Like reactive or something. That way it would still need repairs.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

god I love this idea... I can't believe how many times a map is won but rushing with a apc and pushing com into water or over a cliff.

Perhaps when he is in the so called entrenched or anchored mode some mini walls pop up out of the ground that angle towards the com slowly pushing together to form a sorta half pyramid halfway up the com. Thus things can't get under the com and the com can't be flipped or pushed. Sounds kinda weird actually.. but I think it would be cool. It would defiantly give an indication to the enemy that the com is in said mode so they can change tactics to "Rush the com with tanks cuz he can't run!"

4. davee magee

davee magee Member

This is actually a good idea, maybe a researchable upgrade, kinda like the RPG one we have now.

it would probably be better to make it a hard choice tho,
    Two different upgrades, speed or armour?

so conclusion:
    armour upgrade
    bonuses like: better armour (much less effected by explosive effects (not the dmg, the force behind them)), mounted mg turret?
    negatives like: slow movement, or non at all.

speed upgrade
    bonuses like: faster movement, mounted ml turret?
    negatives like: less armour

i only added turrets to the list because for the sake of it, to give the upgrades more weight, and because this has to be researched theres no chance of it being exploited to rush & kill ref's at the start

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  5. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Griefing really isn't a problem. If it happens then report it, but we havn't had a single comm flipping griefer in weeks, out of hundreds of games.

most sensible comms WONT want this, because if enemies get to the CV and you can't get away (even one LT), then it could mean death. Which means that if people arn't using it, it's not going to project against griefers.

Ninjas are a big bonus to gameplay AND easy to protect against.

6. Sewage

Sewage Member

I don't have anything profound to add, but I like this idea as well.

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Hence why I suggest adding a defence bonus to offset the immobility.

8. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Place a camera beside your comm vehicle please!

9. DeadlyDad

DeadlyDad Member

The solution is absurdly simple: COM as engineer, and build your own walls around the CV. They can be recycled instantly for a quick getaway, while preventing enemies from gaining physical access to the CV and protecting it from direct fire. C'est facile, n'est pas?

10. Mutant Freak

Mutant Freak Member

I like the idea in theory, but I have to agree with Private Sandbag. Griefing really isn't that much of a problem any more. Most servers by now have decently populated ban lists, and there's an increasing number of admins on most of the servers that people play on.

While it used to just be Mitties and Ven0m who were admins on his server, now there's upwards of 10 admins if I'm not mistaken. Previously an entire day or more could go by without an admin being on, yet last night, we had 3 admins on simultaneously.

As for ninjas, (I can't believe there's now ninjas in a game like Empires, pretty soon there will be Pirates :-P) they are a strategic part of the game play, and as such, in my opinion, should not be eliminated as a tactic from the game. It's easy to defend against people ninja'ing the comm, and if your team fails to get up 1-2 mg turrets in base and you get ninja'd.. then.. well your team kinda deserves to lose. It's part of the game. :-)

I know I just kinda bashed this to pieces, but there's another part of me that says it is still a really cool idea that could add new strategic options to the game play. If it is implemented though, there definitely should be some sort of visual indication to the enemy that the comm is 'anchored' so that they can form appropriate strategies to attack.

11. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Com up on cynder blocks.

12. Reef

Reef Member

Sandbag is right, it would not prevent griefing and noone would research it as it's a useless thing UNLESS You expect... a last stand... Wait... More epic last stands! This could be cool, CV could turn into fortress that moves very slow but multiple players can sit on the turrets like in "Xwing vs Tie-Fighter destroyers" and like the big flying ship thing in Matrix 3. The whole enemy team would have to harrass the CV in the last, epic stand of the last chance to defend the commander. But turret/armour upgrade is not enough and will not increase epicness.

13. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

So com vehical Upgrades to com tank... A single line of reasearch...The only super weapon.. Make your king a qween that could still fall to checkmate.. Dude this is cool!Develope it more then make a thread.

Edit: ok I cant stop thinking about it. players can spawn out side it, has 6 first lvl cannon turrets. 8 seats 6 gunners 1 driver and command... dude epic last stand!

14. Reef

Reef Member

You totally missed what I meant. No spawning can take place in the upgraded CV and it wouldn't be a super-weapon (super weapon is something that will give You significant advantage over the other team and upgrading the CV will do the opposite).
    After the upgrade, CV would move as slow as a prone soldier or maby it wouldn't move at all. It would be armoured as hell, but it would have 8 slots, one for commanding and driving and the other 7 for using the built-in turrets. No auto turrets on it! Never! Looking how auto-turrets defend Your CV is not fun.
    The research would be pretty cheap (so loosing team can afford it), but it would be one-way. The only way You could use it, would be a last stand. Currently it usually ends to players being dead, barracks being destroyed, everyone but the commander himself switching to spectator so they at least can watch. CV is running, everyone is chasing it to the death. Especially this is annoying on mvalley where You can run for a few minutes if the enemy uses coolant or bio (if they got 3phase, CV is screwed).
    The alternative is to upgrade the comm vehicle and call players to get into for last base defence. Everyone knows that they will die, but they won't give their heads for free. If the enemy wants to kill the comm, they will have to pay the high price for it. You will die with honour! You'll stay with the commander to the end, defending him with Your chest to death!
    This is epic, like defending the base with RPGs and a few tanks on cyclopean (but should be shorter, armour is limited, if the team has more than 8 players - then the rest of them shouldn't wait too long for the next round).

Is the idea accepted in above meaning and I should create a new topic? Or do we hijack this topic, cuz one idea evolved from another?

EDIT: Vessboy created a new topic about the idea

15. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

too late... i sorta made it...

16. Sewage

Sewage Member

Comm upgrade to a true boomtank!