An Experiment!

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by VulcanStorm, Sep 29, 2016.

?

Experiment?

1. Yes!

100.0%
  2. No!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

Time for an experiment?

So @Tama 's thread about symmetrical balance got me thinking...
    https://forums.empiresmod.com/index...-vehicle-combat-bringing-back-counters.20365/

With the latest addition of a bio cannon, why not experiment with a plasma missile?

Now hear me out before you shoot me down...

The intention of the symmetrical balance was to open up more strategic possiblities for each team.
    I like the current setup, where NF have an extra missile, and BE have an extra cannon... However, not all damage types are equally available for dual weapons. See below.

[Damage Class] : [Teams]
    Explosive : BE (hecn) & NF (nuke)
    Non-Explosive : BE (ranged cn) & NF (uml)
    Bio : BE (bio cn) & NF (bio ml)
    Plasma : BE (plasma cn)
    (Note: I know dual bio is a stupid idea, but its the fact that the option is there that is important)

So it appears to me that plasma is only possible to be dual wielded on BE... This does infact limit the strategies NF able to use, since they cannot dual wield any plasma based weapon.

This does cause some research to be "worse" depending on the team.
    - Plasma research is less useful as NF (can't dual wield)
    - Bio engine is less useful for BE (don't overheat as much)

Hence i propose an experiment:
    Add a plasma missile to allow NF tanks to dual wield plasma based weapons.

Perhaps test it for 1 patch? And if we don't like it, we can always remove it. :)

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

So yeah, that's not a great comparison at all. Nukes are twice the weight of any 2 slot weapons, which is why it's a terrible idea to use 2 of them on a nf heavy. Which is why nukes are a super useful and viable option for both teams.

Spartacus did add 1 slot plasma weapons for a bit(there might have been 2 slots but can't remember)but that was right near the end of him doing scripts, so it had a run time of like 2 weeks. It does make sense for there to be a plasma missile, but plasma is still an awful mechanic so I rather there wasn't more options for a bad idea. Like plasma has been fixed up bit but it still uses a rather unfun mechanic to fight against, a realllllllllly unfun mechanic.

As a random aside I really think some people should try running heavies like a med but with more armor, variety of weapons is a good idea.

3. VulcanStorm

Its the fact that you "can"... Whether you "should" or not is a different matter entirely...I also couldn't find a missile that explodes that's worth taking dual of (so maybe that needs a different experiment... hmm...)

That's another idea i've had... But that deserves it's own thread.

4. Lazybum

"Can" is not an argument at all. You do not use those weapons in the same way at all, bio ml has more in common with he cannon then nukes.

5. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I might add Plasma ML at some point anyway.

Just for the sake of diversity.

6. VulcanStorm

Actually now that I think about it, that's a valid point. Nukes aren't used in the same way as he cannon.
    So perhaps adding an explosive missile too? And see how that goes...

7. Silk

Silk Mapper

I'm all for experimenting.
    That said i wasn't against the symmetrical setup either. I'm a cannon person, which does force me to pick BE if i want to enjoy mid and late game. But more choice in NF weaponry could perhaps minimalize the problem. Although i would prefer improvements to the missile system. Lock on being less twitchy, guided missiles stackable (firing a new missile while still guiding the previous one to target), ..

I'm all for testing HE missile though. NF lacks anti-infantry weaponry a bit, at least for people like me who don't use bio often. And nukes are indeed a different story.

8. Lazybum

I'm not to sure what you mean here, guided missiles just follow your cursor til they reach the max distance they can be guided for, meaning you are always guiding all missiles you fire even if you shoot a new one.

Makes me wonder if guided ml would be more fun to use if it was like a charge weapon, as in hold the fire button you add a missile to the volley til you release the button which fires all the missiles at once. Kinda like how some shotgun type weaponry in other games work.

Btw lock on can be less twitchy, the cone to lock on can be bigger as well as distance, but if it's too easy to use nf has a rather easy time melting tanks. Unless you meant it keeps changing targets, usually to the one you don't want to shoot at, that one is rather annoying.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

doesnt guilded follow whatever your cursor is pointing at? as in its range aware?

10. Lazybum

Actually yeah, if you crank up the speed at which it turns it's possible to curve it back to hit yourself. It's incredibly fun to play with, especially if the speed it moves is increased as well.