Aircraft

Discussion in 'Coding' started by Lightning, Jul 28, 2016.

1. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

skip this - many maps are just not made for aircraft! - for some special maps that is a thing but not for the whole game! ;-)

2. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I remember the BE dropship having a skybox scale model. Maybe scale them all down and turn them into drones? Would be kind of hilarious seeing fighter jets and dropships flying around looking that small.

3. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

drones need A.I. scripting - and a more advanced than just walking bots that can use map defined waypoints! ;-)
    so maybe an idea for the far future

4. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I was actually thinking of player controlled drones, but AI drones could work too.

5. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

oh... - yea player controled might be possible - but doesn't really fit in the gameplay - remember, you need to hide somewhere while controlling the drone ;-)
    (on some maps you can be happy if you have at least some cover!)

and bombing small dropships could be a bit op^^

6. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I remember when it was being discussed people said floating drones would be easier because they can hover over walls and turrets which would help avoid a lot of path finding ai. That's the problem with just map waypoints, buildings change the layout of maps all the time so bots can't quite just go from point a to b.

7. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

but drones need to allocate targets and also be balanced in scripting to prevent "wallhack" drones... it's much more work to do than just stupid "hello world" bots!^^
    (drones may have easyer pathfinding because they can nearly ignore terrain and just fly over obstacles - but the code for all of this is still larger than for bots!^^)