Aircraft handling

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Coffeeburrito, Feb 5, 2009.

?

Which do you prefer? (details in first post)

1. A - C&C Renegade

40 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. B - Battlefield 2

38 vote(s)
    35.2%
  3. C - Metal Smith

8 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. D - Tovarich Cookie (GTA?)

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. E - UT2k4

20 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

Not sure. I always had fun with renegade's controls (easypeasy with mouse/keyboard), but what always got me the most fun was BF1942 helicopters once I set up my joystick correctly.

Hell, the flight system on emp42 jets was more than adequate for what it's supposed to do.

My preferred setup:

Space: Increase Thrust (vertical)
    Ctrl: Decrease thrust (vertical)
    W: Increase speed (horizonal)
    S: Decrease speed (horizontal)/hover
    A: Roll left
    D: Roll right
    Y -/+ Axis (joy): Pitch control (tilt forward backward)
    X -/+ Axis (joy): Turn left/right

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  2. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

I fully agree with this setup. Asumeing that the "(joy)" is the mouse then this is the EXACT setup i have used for years. :D

3. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

It's interchangeable yes. I prefer my joystick though.

4. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

vtol mode and flight mode. you can only use weapons in flight mode. solved!

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

How hard would it be to test all of these different setups?

6. Theoriginalbman

Theoriginalbman Member

If you ever played star wars battlefront the flying controls were easy and effective. I would like something like that.

7. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

thanx ^_^

To clarify, when I say "power" I mean, you need x amount of power to stay up. Then you need y amount of power to move forwards.

Say full power at a 45 degree tilt (as 50% power would be needed to hover in place, 50% power then goes to forward movement) is max speed. if you lose power, either you have to reduce your tilt or you don't have enough power to stay at 45 degree tilt.

so I guess tilt from horizontal would = speed, and power would need to be adjusted manually, giving the ability to perform advanced maneuvers like a forward dive (think of leaving the base corner in cyclopean, and wanting to dive + move forwards into the center).

8. teh_ham

teh_ham Member

C&C renegade.

9. Tovarich Cookie

Tovarich Cookie Member

cnc renegade would encourage the HAHAHA IMMA HOVERING AND BLOWING THE CRAP OUTTAYOU ROFLCOPTER GUNSHIP style of playing because it is just TOO FREAKING EASY.

A commonly used tactic in Battlefield 2142 is called the ROFLCOPTER: a transport ship (essentially a helicopter) hovers at a distance, and two people in the gunner seats (there are 2 mg seats) just shoot everything as the pilot gives them a stable firing platform.

That is called teamwork, but the renegade controls means you can essentially do that by yourself. Which would be VERY lame.

10. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

agreed BF2

11. [SG]GummiBear

[SG]GummiBear Member

ehmm so far I know we are talking about the CONTROLS not the actual setup of the vehicles, if you want you can still make gunner and driver different person's while still using renegade controls...

12. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

I remember the engine restricted having tank guns for anyone other than the guy in seat 1 back in 2.12. I don't know about OB though.

13. [SG]GummiBear

[SG]GummiBear Member

ahh well I don't know much about the engine empires uses, all I was just saying is that who controls what has nothing to do with the way the controls are set up

14. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

C&C Renegade, definitely. The game benefits from having all the vehicles as similar in controls as possible, I think -- no reason to make the learning curve any more difficult than necessary. If a player can hop from a tank to a VTOL with minimal confusion, that's good.

And basically I hate the idea of 'balancing' things by making the controls as difficult as possible. That's no fun. It means that half the time I'll be on a team with people who can't fly, and half the time I'll be playing against people who can't fly. Both are unsatisfying. I'd rather that it be incredibly easy to manage at least a basic measure of competence; that leads to more satisfying gameplay in a team game. There will still be differences in skill, but it's no fun playing against / alongside players who constantly bump into walls thanks to the controls.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  15. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

But I having mouse controlled helicopters are fun :o
    If only there were some way we could have both :/

16. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

If I had to choose 1 out those, I'd probably pick the UT2k4 ones as they're all VTOL aswell, so It would work perfectly. BF2 ones take forever to learn, but any noob can jump in and fly in ut2k4, it couldn't be more newb-proof.

17. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

dunno. Depends on the level of complexity of the physics sim. Currently, there is a fixed wing flight model coded, with VTOL functionality. Stripping the fixed wing part would take a lot of effort.

a Renegade style flight model would require a recode, as it's more arcady then realistic. However, it wouldn't be that hard, because it you could strip down some of the complexity and save some CPU cycles as well.

All in all, either way is a lot of effort. doing them all at the same time would require alot of code work, and, still speaking hypothetically, if we were to commit to aircraft, we would want to know the preferred flight model going into it, that way we can use our time efficiently.

18. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

Actually, that is from a game.
    Commanche 4.

Those controls are preety good though, but commanche 4 had auto targeting, and it was a helicopter. The same controls could work in hover-air-craft, but in planes, it would be silly.

I still like them though.

19. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I've always preferred the aircraft handling from the battlefield series.

20. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

we have the opportunity with the source engine to make some really awesome and origional aircraft and flight mechanics. long term readers of the forum will know my *awesome* idea for how getting shot down would work.

why would we want to limit ourselves to the shoddy and boring "hover and spray" "tanks in the sky" renegade type of combat?