Aircraft handling

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Coffeeburrito, Feb 5, 2009.

?

Which do you prefer? (details in first post)

1. A - C&C Renegade

40 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. B - Battlefield 2

38 vote(s)
    35.2%
  3. C - Metal Smith

8 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. D - Tovarich Cookie (GTA?)

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. E - UT2k4

20 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

perhaps two modes of flight, basic controlls IE C&C that allow for basic manouvers and easy handling and ADVANCED CONTROLLS ie twitch to battlefield controlls for advanced handling

2. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

But I think mouse controlled might be hard at first, but it'll fell a lot better once they get used to it because it is more natural than buttons.
    Theres always tanks if you cant keep planes up

3. [SG]GummiBear

[SG]GummiBear Member

Yes Renegades controls are really easy to use, probably the easiest I know of

to encourage new players to use aircraft, and just because they are simple to control doesn't mean they are simple to master, ppl new to the flight system will no matter what be easy to shoot down still, but the easyness of the system will make them want to continue to try flying and evt. be good at it

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

acceptable, preferable for slow aircraft since the accuracy of the arrows is by far to low to use as side controllers unless the plane flies like a helicopter (every one of them should fly as a helicopter, but the fighter, he should fly much faster

i don't like the locking of weapons, additionally this requires you to have 3 hands (1 for mouses 1 for arrows, and 1 for zqsd controller (for azerty keybords, dont remember what it is for qzerty)

his would only be usable to its fullest if the person was really experienced with it or if the plane flies really really slow and stays in the air by itself (or if the person is a vortigaunt with 3 hands)

i see people using airplanes as quick rides to the battlefield by just flying over and crashing them somewhere while jumping out because its to hard to actually use them here

looks decent, i like it and it additionally looks easy to use
    also ++++ for not being a copy from a game and being good at the same time

weapons locked forward is bad in my view, the rest is okay only i would not see why people would use the yaw and the roll at the same time? since both can be uses separately to the same goal

never liked that movement, it feels cheap and noclippy as you said
    this is the worst in my opinion

my favorite

by far Option C - Metal Smith's Suggestion

easy to use but not too easy, keeps turret guns in mind, should look like a VTOL airplane and not a no clipping mode, applicable to fast and slow airplanes while the most others are not good for fast aircraft, and the battlefield one is not good for slow aircraft (and makes it far too hard to use)

not a single other gets close, + its original

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  5. GoodGame

GoodGame Member

The thing is, you can use BF2 controls, but just change the flight model and responsiveness of controls so it isn't as difficult as BF2. BF2 is hard mainly because the flight models try to be realistic, not because of its particular choice of inputs.

No doubt the devs will make the flight model pretty simple.

6. GoodGame

GoodGame Member

The thing is, you can use BF2 controls, but just change the flight model and responsiveness of controls so it isn't as difficult as BF2. BF2 is hard mainly because the flight models try to be realistic, not because of its particular choice of inputs.

No doubt the devs will make the flight model pretty simple.

That said, making the main controls mouse-driven will make flying more intuitive, while making it mainly keyboard-driven will make it maneuver more like a brick.

7. [SG]GummiBear

[SG]GummiBear Member

lol not really... I geuss you never played Renegade or any of its mods, i wouldn't say they move like a brick there and there you only use the mouse to aim the weapons

there is several standalone (read: free to play) total conversion mods for renegade in case you want to try those out, I can recommend www.apathbeyond.com (RA1 universe on renegade engine)

8. GoodGame

GoodGame Member

I haven't played Renegade, but I have played Joint Operations a lot.
    All of the helicopters fly like bricks with just WASD keys.

It's just:
    Accelerate/Decelerate W/S Increased/Decrease Altitude Q/E

Mouse Up/Down just for helmet looking and Mouse or keys left/right for yaw.

It feels totally artificial, like a flying tank.

9. [SG]GummiBear

[SG]GummiBear Member

dunno about joint operations, never played that but in renegade, the nose indeed tip downwards when you accelerate and upwards when you move backwards and so on, so not really a brick

10. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

Do you see the contradiction here? You're defending BF2 controls because of game issues, while saying WSAD controls means flying bricks (but NOT because of the game). If anything flies like a brick, it's probably a game issue. How about approaching the issue with an open mind, and give different controls a chance?

11. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

If anything flies like a brick, it's his brain :p

12. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

All of you who wanted C & C, please get some skill. Battlefield controls are the hardest to learn, but I think that they should be the one implemented. Planes or helis should be something that can only be flown by experienced players, the newbies should just stick to vehicles. Only those who take the time to learn get the right to master the sky, others, either try harder, or never take off.

13. Arcadia

Arcadia Member

Don't take this personally, but how many times have you seen newbies in Battlefield 2 crash the only plane available to the team?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  14. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Using keyboard to move the tank would just be hovertanks instead of planes. Using mouse will feel natural and more like an airplane.

It is TRUE!

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

It is in my beliefs that this mindset simply does not work

elithism is not the way to go

16. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

Difficult controls will not stop people buying planes, they will just mean that the planes that are bought are much less effective. I mean we have a large enough problem with skill stacking already, why would you want to make it worse. Getting you base destroyed from the air because noone in your team is willing to try to fly a plane is not very fun, also difficult to fly planes will mean a lot of 2k res craters surrounding the AF. This will ruin a team's chance to win as a 2k res plane can be flown into the ground in seconds while an equivilent heavy tank will atleast do some damage before it goes boom.

17. Great Grizzly

Great Grizzly Member

Use Renagade's controls.

Battlefield controls is an exponential curve, it allows excellent players to totally dominated all other players which is no fun. If you have played any 24x7 aircraft map, you know that the flyboys are untouchable. The only way to take them down is another good pilot, but any good pilot keeps the other teams pilots out of the air because they keep destroying the other teams planes. The game's flight controls allows them to avoid all fire while hitting you with pinpoint accuracy.

Flyboys are why I dont play BF2.

Renegade controls are easy for the noobs (thus reducing crashes which also waste money) and doesnt make the good players flying invincible death machines. Yet good players can still do well.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  18. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I voted c&c I dont want half my team crash one minute
    after they bought a plane. Making it so its only reasonable
    to research planes if enough skilled players are on you team
    is not very entertaining.

Ive played all my early flight sims (around 1993) with wasd
    and it doesnt fly like a brick...

19. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Voted Renegade because I like its simpleness but Battlefield way is good too but a bit harder to learn and you have much smaller amount of time to hit vehicles with locked guns because you have to get way back, get your line correct, fire as long as you can and then turn your nose.

IF we don't have locked guns you can just turn, fly over, under, from side, where-ever you wish and you can aim with your mouse to your target and increase the time how long you shoot at the target.

So I voted for Renegade choice. It is easy to learn and fun. But BF2 choice comes in if aircrafts are too powerful and the maps are enough large for them to turn and align with their targets.

20. [SG]GummiBear

[SG]GummiBear Member

more like 5 seconds :/