Advertisement

Discussion in 'General' started by butter jam, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

Epic.
    <filler>

2. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

You mean the "angry german kid" vid?
    lol, maybe

3. Skyrage

Skyrage Member

Yeah, that one :p

4. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

For sure. But you gotta remember that the situation on the ground is a lot more confusing than it seems from com view, and the server was full of disorientated noobs who don't know the map or the game. Yelling at them just doesn't help, and it is frustrating for people (like me) are trying to make a contribution to the team.

5. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

But it helps removing the frustration ..

6. FN198

FN198 Member

i usually try to employ communism's method of commanding.

say nothing over mic
    type nothing no one will listen to you anyways

it works until the squad leaders stop caring about the team and you have to remind them what they're supposed to be doing.

i wouldnt say i yell often, but since 2.0 came out i've been getting many sore throats from this game. i'm a tad elitist in the way i play empires. whenever i go infantry i always make myself a locked squad and only invite vets or people with cool names/respectable attitudes. when i command i only count on, respect and privilege people that i know. i yell at everyone else who could be much more helpful in other ways.

one of the things that might capture the essence of empires would be a push through s bend on slaughtered on napalms. infantry buliding walls, turrets, cameras, yelling (not out of anger, but out of necessity to hear over the gunfire and explosions. also the acoustics of the s bend make this seem exaggerated), palpable intensity and teamwork, all of the classes working together displaying their unique advantages (enhanced senses, armor detection, wallbuilding and reviving, firepower).

7. Skyrage

Skyrage Member

On those extremely rare occasions when I com, I tend to be rather laid back and sound somewhat careless. I only tend to get annoyed at my team when I'm a grunt and the team is mostly noobs that just don't seem to listen :(

Oh yeah, and people who end up killing me over and over tend to annoy me as well :P

8. Alceister

Alceister Member

I've only commanded twice and never tried again.

9. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Whatever happened to my method of commanding? It's simple, since people don't seem to listen to me most of the time I tend to get down to the personal level with each soldier, making them feel "responsible" so if they do fuck up they feel awful, and I also address people by their names instead of "Someone" so people tend to do the things I tell 'em to do.

10. communism

communism poof

Dunno I clicked a thread about advertisment and the whole page is about commanding lol

Im gonna go read the last page

11. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Oh yeah! I find if you use a players name and ask nicely, they respond much better. It's not hard:
    '<name of noob>, can you build this refinery for me? Thanks'.
    It's pretty obvious psychology, but it's easy to forget.

12. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i do it too, but i do not radiate enough authority to actually make people do something that is boring but important :(

13. Silk

Silk Mapper

Not many people do

Not with lazy bastards like us
    I don't even listen to myself, or i'd be masturbating all day

14. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

You don't even know frustration.

I've commanded literally over 1000 games. I only remember 3 or 4 specifically for being great.

On contrast, I remember a bulk of them being the most annoying moments of my life. Do you know how many times I've had to tell someone to do something over and over? Have you ever commanded several hundred games where you know exactly what needs to be done, but the people on the ground can't coordinate for shit, even though a simple "Go here, stay here, defend here" goes ignored?

You are a grunt. You do not get to make calls on frustration.

lol

15. Apogee

Apogee Member

HSM, i'm up there in the number of games commanded, so I know the feeling. I've learned to command with the attitude that most people won't give two shits over what I'm telling them to do, or what our strategy is - they jsut want to know when they can get moar moar boom tanks. Generally, there's a couple guys on the team who will actually follow orders, and can be relied upon to go and "build that ref" or take our the rax" or what have you.

So, personally, I've learned not to be too stressed out over commanding. This isn't Starcraft - the troops will not obey your every order. Commanders who join the game and expect obedience will be very disappointed... but honestly, I think the "leader" position as opposed to "god" position of the commander is what makes Empires so great. It's not micro-madness, its charisma and guile that win the day.

16. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

HSM has some charisma actually, it's just pretty hard to tell when he's yelling at you and calling you shite.

HSM one thing I would say is that you don't have to command y'know? Almost everytime you're on the server you want to command...in fact, i've only really seen you as a footsoldier twice.

The most frustrating thing for me isn't where my team are a bunch of plonkers really, because I already know they've lost - I ain't that great a comm that I can make miracles happen (like some people ;) ), but it's when my team are doing everything right but just aren't winning. That really fecks me up tbh...