Add a local voice channel

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Meliarion, Jan 10, 2009.

?

Do you like the general idea

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

For larger games, especially larger games where many people have microphones people speaking over each other can make it hard to communicate effectively. Therefore I am suggesting adding a local voice channel which would only be heard by people within 1-1.5 map squares distance from you. This would allow people in the same area to coordinate with each other without disturbing people on the other side of the map.
    The advantage of an area based limiter as opposed to a squad based limiter is that it allows squads working in the same area to coordinate with each other and squads which stay together will notice not much difference to a squad based system.
    Global voice chat would remain as it is and would interrupt local voice chat, and should only be used for things that a large proportion of the team should know.
    Pros:
    • Allows players to use voice chat to coordinate on many different fronts
    • Helps alleviate too many people talking at once
    • Not dependant on squads, encourages teamwork between larger groups
    Cons:
    • One more thing for new players to learn
    • Depending on the range could be unreliable
    Alternatives:
    • Let the commanders voice chat supersede everyone else's
    • Squad channels
    If you fell I have forgotten any PROS/CONS or have an alternative I will add it to the post.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  2. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Alternative: Add squad comm channels. This is even awesomer and needed moar :D

3. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

So if HSM was comming, don't join a squad?

4. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

yes squad voice, or give comm ability to mute

5. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Comm shouldn't have the ability to mute. There are so many ass hole comms that would mute people simply because they don't like someone.

6. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Just use the scoreboard. Muting is easy.

7. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

Squad Channels Please

8. Fricken Hamster

There would be the problem when the base in getting raped and you need support from all your players. Sometimes the com doesn't pay attention and other players are telling everyone to spawn at main, but you can't hear it because you are on the other side of the map

9. KILLX

KILLX Banned

There's global chat and squad chat. If the commander broadcasts on anything but global, why did you let him into the CV?

10. Fricken Hamster

sorry, wrong topic

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  11. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

The reason the I am not fond of the idea of squad channels is that:
    1. Squads don't always stick together, it might not be what you wanted but it happens all the time.
    2. On large servers in choke point maps you often have 2 squads working together, i.e. on canyon Alpha and Bravo go north, Charlie and Delta west.
    3. If the squad is not with anyone else but is grouped together, it acts like a squad only voice channel.
    4. There are rarely any times when you just want to inform your squad of something, but there are plenty of times when you want to inform everyone in the area.

12. Spooky

Spooky Member

well if its possible, couldn't we just implement a local and a global voice system?

although that would get a bit confusing at times with global, local and most of the time ventrillo/TS.

Make everyone sound like LordDz?

/offtopic
    whatever happened to empty?

13. Theowningone

Theowningone Noone likes me :'(

I tryed doing alot of this in nachos. We managed to get text chat done and working but i was having troubles with voice. Shortly after it was abandoned. I'll take a look at it later, and see if i can do it.

14. Mageknight

Mageknight Member

I really like this. There are times when I just want to tell everyone within ten feet of me to get down and not have to spam the global channel. And then there are times as a comm where I'm trying to give global orders and a squad leader is trying to coordinate his squad at the same time.

But I've never seen this done in a Source game. Is it possible?

15. GoodGame

GoodGame Member

QFT. A local voice channel would just create spam locally if two squad operate adjacent.

Ideally voice would have: a separate channel for each squad, squad leader+com channel (for discussing strategy/orders), and a whole team channel.

16. Theowningone

Theowningone Noone likes me :'(

It must be. I can do it in sourcemod with alot of coding, basically, you create a new command, when that command is triggered, Get Player Position, Scan all entities for players, and then check to see if those players are within a set distance, change voice flags accordingly, and then lastly start recording. When the key isnt held down, reverse flags and stop recording.

17. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Then your doing it wrong. An actual squad should call out targets to each other and do the types of things the army does. Actual squadwork that keeps people alive. Which requires communication.

18. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

What targets would just your squad target and not the guys standing right next to you? If you need healing or ammo why can't any engineer do it? If you need some covering fire does it matter who gives it?

I'm sorry but I cannot see a situation where just the squad need to communicate frequently regardless of map position.

19. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Sometimes, its only your squad in an area. Sometimes, 2 squads are working together to hit an enemy. Its rare, I know, but some players, like me, do their best to encourage true squadwork when playing. It doesn't always work, but on the occasions it has, we outright raped.