About radar stealth

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Zygoth, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Zygoth

Zygoth Member

I have the feeling that in its current state this skill is absolutely useless except on a few rare occasions.

This is mostly the case due to radar stealth only working when you are in vehicle and thus the moment you step out you are immediatly spotted; thus negating the possibility to sneak into an enemy base without being spotted.

My proposal is to make it so that radar stealth works even when you are not in a vehicle, meaning it can actualy be useful to sneak into enemy bases.

Currently this is only possible by using hide, which just promotes overal uselessness as it takes aeons to get to the enemy base(most of the time) if you are trying to be hidden all the time, and that is not even when we concider the many times you are spotted and that most of the times sneaking into an enemy base is just a minor distraction at most in the grand scheme of things.

Another addition that may prove to be useful is if radar stealth would cut engine noise.

Discuss.

2. Apex

Apex Member

Either camp in the vehicle and keep it stealthed in an unseen location(APC) or jump out of the vehicle and hide until it's killed and the enemies moved on(Jeep). These work for me just fine.

3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

its a nieche thing, you only take it in those very very rare cases you want to endue lulz on the enemy com

but i agree with your point, personally i would want hide to work as the thing you described and be less extreme on the actual visual hiding... as to tie those 2 together and make the individual player also a bit harder to spot but not near-invisible

4. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

radar stealth isn't that bad; at least it reduces the likeliness of you getting caught. if you're a scout driving a vehicle, you're either nadeboating and sapping, or just exploiting the glitch on nf anyways

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Zygoth, this is actually already on the scout redesign document. Effectively, it's merged with the Weapon silencer skill, with a new skill kow created to stop turrets targeting you. Hide is more like the tf2 spy, although it hasn't been decided yet whether MG turrets could target you whilst you're hidden.

6. Zygoth

Zygoth Member

I don't believe merging radar stealth and weapon silencer would make much sense.

Instead, the problem I have(and what I think others) is that weapon silencer is a skill that doesn't offer something particulary useful.

Even though it decreases weapon noise by 50% and hides kill and death messages, in close quarters I don't find it useful; mostly because you are still informed if someone dies near you due to kill sound.

I would find it much more useful if weapon silencer would not just only prevent kill and death messages but also prevent the kill sound(screams). It might also be useful to make it so that the hitting someone with melee while having weapon silencer is silent.

Hence, you could even drop such an idea and instead give a melee weapon for the scout so you could switch between either a pistol or a knife(which could provide silent kills and hits like the spy in TF2).

And I for one do welcome a change in the way hide works. Having hide changed to having a rechargeble hide-bar that can be activated would be very useful(and would at the same time prevent camping while also allowing scouts to much more mobile instead of the constant bellycrawling).

I like the way how hide prevents you from being targetted by turrets, and with the ability to hide while running this would increase the usefulness of scouts; it feels overpowered to have radar stealth deal with this, and thus allowing full protection from turrets regardless of whether you are hidden or not(while also requiring no recharging).

Also, altough I play with lasermod, you could make it so that chasers do not appear or fade faster and/or are more transparant.

7. OuNin

OuNin Member

make radar stealth radius based so that it applies to all vehicles within a certain area

8. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Hide: Hide would be completely changed from the current system. Instead of the surface-based transparency hide, we would change to a perspective & time based refraction hide. Firstly, rather than transparency, a refraction shader (I think that’s the correct term) would be used. This means a sort of digital-liquid-mirror type effect for hide. It is quite possible that it would need to have different levels of “obviousness”, and I’m not entirely sure how that would work. The closer that a person was looking at you (if they’re an enemy), the more obvious you should be. This means that in their peripheral vision, you are more invisible (as in, you being less obvious in their peripherals should actually be part of it, with you fading more into view the closer you are to their crosshairs). The higher your rank, the smaller the distance you need to be to their crosshair to show up. It should also be charge/time based, rather than permanently on (which encourages camping). Instead, it should last maybe upto 30 seconds, regardless of your stance, with the last 5 seconds or so having you fade back into view, rather than instantly appearing. Whilst using hide, we should allow weapons to be drawn, otherwise, if it was a separate gadget, this would seem odd when squads use squad hide. People using hide should still be targetable by turrets. Or, instead, possibly have it so the same “close the crosshair” effect counts for turrets, so if they run close enough to the direction which the turret is facing, the turret targets them.

Anti-Radar: This would simply prevent Machine gun and Missile launcher turrets from targeting you at any time. It would also lower the range of enemy homing weapons on their vehicles to 50% or something.

Stealth: This would make sure you were removed from the enemy minimap unless spotted via a scout or a regular player, and even then the spot on you would expire 75% faster. It would also make your weapons much quieter (quieter than weapon silencer now), as well as your vehicle sounds (engine and MAYBE weapons). It could also maybe make your tracers less obvious, but this could be adding too much. You will also no longer show up on enemy hit indicators.

Nothing in here is final btw. Just figured I'd throw it up so you see what I'm talking about. This is not an invitation to start giving feedback or suggesting improvements, that will come closer to the time we can actually look into implementing any of this, which isn't happening atm.

9. complete_

complete_ lamer

sounds too weird to have 2 skills come together to make a new skill. especially when its the only one in the game. and am i the only one who thinks refractions are very obvious?

just change hide to turret invisibility, and keep squad hide.

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

refractions are only obvious if you move, its quite good when you stand still - its already hard to see imobile things due to how our brains compute visual input.