A touch of Fallout 3 to Empires

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Slithzerikai, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

I'm suddenly wondering if seperate models of the Vault 101 dweller's character model wearing Brotherhood of Steel and Enclave power armor could be imported to the G.E.C.K., changed to be applicable and introduced into Empires as a third party thing. :P

2. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

It's probably possible, there was a plugin that let you export Morrowind models into 3dsmax. Fallout uses the same format (.nif). And once you get them into max, you can do whatever you want with them.

However it would be illegal.

3. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

Not for personal use.

4. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

Wrong. It has to be for non-commercial use AND "solely in connection with the applicable Product [that means Fallout 3], subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement." to quote the G.E.C.K. EULA

5. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

ooowwwwnneeeddd

6. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

Fun fact: I quoted that from memory.
    JK, JK.

Back on topic: nothing stops you from making a custom skin that, for example, just HAPPENS to look like a Vault overall and just HAPPENS to have a big yellow 101 on the back.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  7. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

you can model/skin your own

8. Ircov Stega

Ircov Stega Member

I would prefer to mod some of the empire guns into fallout 3, like the Brenodi
    NX-9 Carbine and such. make it use .44 ammo etc,

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  9. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Go ahead.

10. Ircov Stega

Ircov Stega Member

unfortunately I don't know how to convert the meshes to a usable type for blender to export into an .nif file, or for the textures to export into a bmp or png so they can become a .dds file.

sounds just need to be a .wav

dunno about the reloading/firing animations and bullets

if I can figure out all that I can have Empires guns in Fallout 3 XD

11. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

and on top of that, the Empires guns would actually kill people!

OH YEAH

unless you took them from a recent version, then you might as well use the bb gun

12. Ircov Stega

Ircov Stega Member

lol well, I can always adjust the damage and accuracy of all the weapons, thanks to the G.E.C.K. so I can turn even the most uselessly inaccurate weapon in empires into a veritable machine gun sniper rifle that kills in one or two hits, :D after all, real life assault rifles are accurate, and quite deadly, up to 100-300m but most video games have guns being very short ranged, so short in fact that melee is a viable option! :confused:

still, anyone going to help me get usable files for this purpose? or am I going to have to ask in another thread or PM someone to get their attention?

13. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

do it yourself

it builds character

14. Ircov Stega

Ircov Stega Member

unfortunetly I can't make heads or tails out of how to work the damn SDK for source, or get the files into the right format (I'm not even 100% sure what i 'm looking for) I've already racked my brain trying to figure out how to mod Fallout 3, I'd rather not have to go through all that (and more) for source.

at the very least I would like to know what files to look for, or point towards some tutorials/tools for the job that still work, most of the tutorial sites I've been to are horridly out of date. after extracting the .MDL files It looks like all I got are files for animations, which I'm more concerned with the files for the model, texture and sound as of now (thankfully the sounds are already in .Wav format, which is good)

I can always use some of the fallout animations for certain things (though the reloading animations would almost certainly have to be taken from Empires, though the Gauss rifle reloading animation could work as a placeholder) until I figure out how to put those in as well.

the largest file which I presume to be the actual model, is a .VVD file, an extension that I have no clue how to work with and Google searches have come up rather short on clarity. I'm guessing .vtx is a texture file,

also what are the V and W folders for exactly?

15. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

IIRC, V is for the model you see when you are holding the weapon, and W is the model that you see other players hold, or laying on the ground (if empires weapons could be dropped that is.)

I haven't decompiled a Source model before, but if it's anything like goldsource, you will get several SMD files. One of the SMD files is the mesh data, and all the others are animations.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  16. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Ahem, I know how to convert .nif into .mdl for source, infact I could also rig it and export it into any source game as a playermodel, but damnit I don't feel like pulling up my GECK and 3DSMAX, and XSI!

17. Ircov Stega

Ircov Stega Member

what about vice versa? I'd love to have the BE Carbine in Fallout 3 XD

18. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Well, I'd do it if the FO3 mod community actually helped me out.

19. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

You could probably figure out a way, but NIF exporters are notoriously hard to come by, unless it's for 3DSMax. There was an open source project to make an exporter for Blender a while back, no idea how far they got. Decompiling MDL files is possible, so is, technically, reading SMD files into XSI. Unfortunately my XSI always crashes when I try to import an Empires SMD. But I have succeeded in importing Empires SMDs into Milkshape.

So, my guess is:
    MDLDecompiler -> SMD -> Into Milkshape -> Export to whatever format your Max or Blender reads (there's quite a few) -> Fix whatever is broken (everything usually) -> Export to NIF -> Voila Fallout

Oh yeah, and did I mention that Empires models are technically Krenzo's intellectual property and you would have to ask him if you can use the models in another game? And that the models might have been done in XSI ModTool in the first place, which means that they may only be used legally for Source mods, no matter what the IP owner says? And that a non-pirated copy of 3DSMax costs thousands of dollars? And that I just googled Blender NIF exporter and everything I find is just people complaining how buggy it is?

20. Ircov Stega

Ircov Stega Member

I'm fully aware of that, aside from using milkshape in the process, i've had few problems using .NIF exporting in blender, maybe i'm just lucky.

since this is for personal use I don't think there's any problem with that, I would most CERTAINLY ask permission and clarification on the old XSI mod tool thing if I were planning on distributing such a mod.

I have a cousin who should still have a legal (albeit old) copy of 3dsmax if Blender decides to be screwy.