A plan - Symmetrical vehicle combat -> Bringing back counters

Discussion in 'General' started by Tama, Jul 26, 2016.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

paradoxs "explanation" is neither how car racing, nor metaphors work.
    also the "make them stop at a red light" part is probably the worst design choice in gaming, artifical barriers are not cool.
    but i know that its just gibberish to mock me, no need to explain.

edit: hmm alegory would probably have been the better word

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  2. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

Something in between? Add research cost to some of the advanced items at the end of research branches?

I came along shortly before research cost was removed so 99% of my play time has been free research. I don't have an opinion between the two.
    I would like to see test scrims or test servers that would allow us to experiment with cost research though.

Without writing a page long reply of my own, I generally agree with Donald. I like the asymetrical play and the different skills/ tactics it takes to play each side.
    Like others, I would like to see the end of stacked games with ranks. It's one of things I see frustrate and run off new players.
    I know TheCreeper has been working on ranks, so maybe something we'll see soon.

3. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

I'm glad research costs are gone, sure having cost forced you to save money and lock the vf and be strategic and shit.

But from a gameplay perspective it meant that people were camping the vf and pleading for you to unlock it or waiting for res.
    + It made me hate jeeps even more.

4. Caelo

Caelo Member

There used to be a server that kept all kinds of statistics. It was pretty easy to see how stacked it was with that plugin. I wonder if it can be brought back in an official form, with some easy indicators in game. Stacking and the abusive (in-game) community has always been a problem in Empires..

5. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Research costs made the game not so heavy sided as I have stated many times. It also made it strategic for the com and a little more teamwork from the entire team.

Yea, it may have "improved" the gameplay if what you were going for was tanks on tanks with no combined arms.

6. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I wasn't around when wages and research became free came around, but I did play before that. I certainly remember people waiting in vf's for sure, but I think it's a bit foolish to say research costs are what made it less about heavy tanks all the time. I could be wrong but I feel like tanks were way more expensive back then, with heavies costing close to 2k res and that's without wages so it was a serious investment. With research being more counter like back then too it was easy for a team to lose before heavies even became relevant.

Facts are there was simply less resources back then, no wages/research cost money/more expensive tanks(jeeps were like 75 res or something, ouch) and even some buildings cost more all meant it wasn't quite possible for it to become a heavy slugfest. You can delay heavys with chassis research costing money which we did have for a bit but it was removed for something along the lines of "it prevents comebacks" which always sounded to me like the losing side was simply losing. If you want more combined arms or whatever you could also get it by simply reducing resources in a game, nerf wages or nerf res output, something. The last idea that's been talked about is making heavy tanks a super unit that's super expensive, but it's pretty much required for commanders to restrict access to chassis types that's been wanted for ages now.

If you wanted to keep it fair there's also an idea from titan fall and other games, where getting a super unit is based simply on a timer. Might be better to tie it to a building or something, but it would allow all players to have a chance with the super unit in a way that no one can complain about. Considering it could remove heavies as a resource expenditure res would have to be lowered in one of the ways I previously mentioned. Could also take from res pool but I feel like that somehow negates the purpose of a timer beyond making people not able to spam and lose tank after tank.

Anyway's about the thread's main topic, I think I have some time so I'm gonna redo something that's been sitting on my hard drive for over a year now. It'll add variety in research paths and tactics employed without going into a counter system, but it'll feel a little incomplete and lacking in some ways but there's no real good way around it. At least the idea will be there.

7. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Research cost reduces resources available, and I agree we should increase the cost of heavies to make it a feared tank once again.