80GB Zune 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by rampantandroid, Nov 23, 2007.

1. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Anyone have one (or an old Zune 30GB)?

I want to be rid of my shitty ass 30 GB iPod video (5.5G)...I'm tired of it locking up...I'm tired of using iTunes...winamp sucks with the ipod, and while I can use WMP with my iPod...its annoying. Did I mention the click wheel is my arch nemesis? I can never select the song I want, I always overshoot.

I've been eyeing the Zune 80GB...but its battery only seems to be around 23 HRs with wifi off...anyone have any info on whether the newest zune is worth it?

Thanks!

2. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

Does it still show boxes instead of unicode like the last version? I would've bought the zune if it had unicode support

like instead of: 藍華柳~Aikaryu~, it'll show ￿￿￿~Aikaryu~.

3. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

Not sure if it's worth it, but my friend has the old 30 gig model. He's on his second Zune right now, the screen magically broke on his first Zune but it actually still works you just need to replace the screen. As for overshooting, don't worry, it kinda works like a a menu in a Japanese RPG game :p .

I would also suggest the PSP, to be honest I've seen more people using the the PSP as a media player rather than a gaming device (Actually I prefer the PSP over the ipod). The only downside is the memory stick thing.

4. KILLX

KILLX Banned

and if you use it at school you get yelled at by a teacher that thinks your gaming.

5. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

unless the PSP can beat 80 GB...well, not for me. I want to be rid of my ipod, yes...but I also want more HD space since I've filled my 30 GB ipod up.

I will give the zune this - the old zunes can update to the new zune software...which means you can get new features...that's more support than Apple gives the iPod.

6. arklansman

arklansman Member

My sister has an original 40GB Zune. (which means that she doesn't use it, so I use it all the time.) The only real problems with it is the software, which is basically WMP11 with a different skin and uses twice the memory. But other than that it's a pretty good player. Looks like the newer model with twice the HD space for even less dough is a great deal. :)

7. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

Oh well in that case just go for the Zune :p Just watch out for that screen, buy a case or something to protect it.

8. Chahk

Chahk Member

Zune = iPod, only with a different monopoly behind it. I'm sick and tired of hardware manufacturers telling me what software I must use, where I must buy my music, and in general treating me like a criminal with their copy protection scams.

I'm waiting for Cowon's A3 and Q5 players soon to hit the market. No DRM crap, much better codec support, overall better hardware. In the meantime I'll stick with my Creative ZEN Vision:M (30GB).

9. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

You don't have to buy music from iTunes to use an iPod. Same for the Zune...buy it wherever you like. Zune marketplace's subscription is DRM heavy since you don't BUY the music. You get unlimited music at a time...and load it up. You get to keep that music, as long as you keep your subscription. To compare those two systems doesn't make sense - one is where you buy the music...one is where you "rent" it.

I'll sooner take MSFT over Apple...Apple does BS like trying to get you to engrave your ipod, so you can no longer return it.

And think Creative is any better? Try to find a support number for them...you won't...not after...60 days? Then its only email support where they tell you to do simple things...over and over. How many ways can you state "Reinstall your driver"? I think creative has a record there.

Gigabeat? Great little thing...but its battery is shit; 6 hours or so.

Edit: Keep in mind, Microsoft is allowing Zune 1 models to upgrade to new software - which is pretty nice. I don't get to upgrade my 5.5G iPods software/firmware to get new features...only way I can get that is getting a third party OS for my iPod.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  10. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

Welcome to the past. I use a Panasonic portable CD player, had it for 6 years now, I simply burn CDs on it, it also has 1GB storage aside of that... no problem, ever, works on batteries and will remain up and running for about 18 hours non-stop on Duracels.

11. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

but I like being lazy and putting all my music on my MP3 player at once. My 30 GB ipod is full...

12. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

My 80GB is half way full :D

Though I think there's a limit on how many mp3s I can put on it (9999)

13. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

I doubt that I'll hit 10,000 - I hit 30 GB because I keep my MP3s at 256KB/s or higher. I should convert my library over to WMA - or at least run tests on a zune 2 (I will be getting a zune soon...whenever stores get them in stock again) and see how WMA battery life is vs MP3 batt life....I suspect, WMA will do better.