5-15 fps on coast

Discussion in 'Support' started by Roflcopter Rego, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

I have no idea what causes this, but coast is killing FPS like Youzy kills pubbers. I get my 40-80 FPS on maps like duststorm, cyclo, maybe 10 lower on some maps. Even on Omni's maps I can usually keep above 20, but when playing coast getting up to 15 is a rare occurrence - it seems to average as less than 10. Even before the game starts, I can get 10 FPS looking in some directions, and no matter what direction I look it doesn't get higher than 25 before the game even starts. Comms can crash pretty rapidly once tanks start rolling - the optimisation of this map must be really, really horrendous.

2. Tysn

Tysn Mapper

Hello, I am the creator of emp_coast. I'm not really sure what to tell you as this map spent a long time in beta and was optimized throughout, and there weren't ever really any complaints about it's performance from people on public servers, especially in the later betas. Just to double check I opened up coast and compared it to other maps like arid and cyclopean and the performance wasn't any worse than those for me. It certainly uses all of the necessary optimization elements needed for large outdoor empires maps (proper hint brushing, occluders, prop fading, etc.)

You could open up coast and enable "sv_cheats 1" in the console, and then enter "+showbudget". This will pop-up a render budget graph that shows exactly what is causing the slowdown. Coast uses some elements that aren't as common in other maps (road overlays, reflective ocean water, dynamic tree shadows) so it may be one of these that is affecting you more than it would normally affect others.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Would you be up for improving coast a bit? I.e. making the water actually let you drive in. That's really annoying that you can't.

And I noticed a significant FPS drop after beta3.

4. Tysn

Tysn Mapper

Beta 3 was were most people reported improved fps, as that's when I added the hint brushes. Although in the later betas I did add things like cabin and tower, though nobody mentioned anything performance-wise coming from them.

Also the reason you can't drive into the water is to prevent griefing comm's from suiciding the commander vehicle.

5. communism

communism poof

I like not being able to drive in water, just keep your cv driving along side the clip and watch light tanks and mediums sink

6. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

you would commy...

7. Silk

Silk Mapper

I have a question about the map myself.

Why do i suck in it ?

I can have a series of games with an average k/d ratio of 2, but then in coast i never even have half as much kills as i have deaths :(
    And for some reason i give this infection to everyone in my team. Out of at least 7 matches on coast, the best one was were at some point we had more than half the map. After which we lost of course.

Why ?

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ?? *sniff*

8. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

because be tends to camp in the cabin

9. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Answers for most problems in Empires:
    Get a tank.

If this doesn't help:
    Get a better tank.

10. Silk

Silk Mapper

That might be it, cause i don't use tanks.

11. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

There are admins and !ungrief for that. Ramming people into the water is a perfectly legit strat, and doing what commie said is a bit...gay.

12. o_O

o_O Member

Every map needs some failwater. Even duststorm has a little circle just big enough to drown a tank.