Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Thor, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Thor

Thor Member

Going to go see it tonight in full surround sound and in full quality with a ton of friends. It's going to be so sick. I'll post my review on it later, but I wanted to know who all is going to go see it.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/300/

Trailer for the uneducated. Pick any of them.

Thor

2. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

I would go see it but all my friends are too preoccupied with work/getting into college/girlfriends/World of Warcraft to go see it with me... and going to the theaters by yourself is no fun.

3. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Looks interesting at least but I get the feeling it's going to be one of those films where they show all the bets bits in the trailer =o

4. Thor

Thor Member

From what I've heard from people who have seen it, it's AMAZING.

5. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Damn I want to see this bad.

6. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

My friends are going to the I-Max to see it. Damn them and thier college days.

7. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

oh snap, that looks bloody good.

I absolutely loved sin city, and it's inspired by the same author as that... awesome.

8. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Ive been tracking this movie for a while, and I can't wait to see it; it looks too good...

9. Thor

Thor Member

By far, the BEST movie I have EVER seen. It was so amazing. The fight scenes, music, blood, sex scenes, EVERYTHING! Was so damn perfect. I don't want to give any spoilers away so I'll leave it at that. Lots of blood and gore. Bring someone over 21 as it took me 4 attempts to get in as I'm not 18 years old. Even then you have to be 21 or older to buy multiple tickets.

Thor

10. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

I have heard rave reviews from others, too. Hope to see it soon.

11. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

Ok; time to be the devil's advocate/total buzzkill (JUST to be a pain in the ass :P) Keep in mind I have ONLY seen the preview, and all criticism is probably short sighted and limited in it's scope. I object to the fact that they made things all magical and awesome and awe inspiring against the Greeks, what with ogre type creatures in the Persian forces and magic and crap. (Is there magic? Who knows? I assume there is.) This just diminishes the true awesomeness of the actual battle. Let's look at the stats: (via Wikipedia) 7000 or 1400 Greeks vs. 200,000 or 2,000,000 troops: 300:1 or 30:1 or 150:1 is pretty damn intimidating, as it is. Then, let's look at the casualties: 1400 greeks, 20,000 Persians. 15:1 kpd ratio is pretty damn l33t in my book. No reason to make the Persians all magical to make that accomplishment intimidating.

Also, the movie has the Greeks pretty much naked and the Persians pimped out with all this scary armor. When in reality, the situation is the exact OPPOSITE: The Spartans (and to a lesser extent the rest of the Greeks) had state of the art technology (full bronze armor, shields, and big-ass weapons, essentially) versus Persians with what amounted to tiny swords and WICKER (as in layers of STICKS) shields. It was the Greeks who should have been scary as hell.

And... well, that's pretty much all I could deduce from the trailer.

But if you dismiss the artistic licence and all, it looks like a bitching cool movie. Not NEARLY as cool as Spiderman 3, but if it's anything like Sin City, it will be tight as hell.

12. ^Dee^

300 is based on the comic which took certain liberties in telling the story :)

13. ooger

ooger Member

that was a pretty good movie.

14. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

I'm not going to read your post since that will probably ruin the movie for me (not story wise), but what i can deduce from the first sentence tells me that your looking waaaaay too much into. Its a fighting movie based on a comic book. Enjoy it.

15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

that's what i think. i just had to listen to a guy bitch about the film for 15 minutes on the way back from paintballing, and all i wanted to say was "it's a film about cutting people up and shagging some tarts. just sit back and enjoy."

16. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Thor you're a nub, I just went into a theatre across from the one I wanted (one where they WEREN'T carding for ID's) and went across the upper level into the 7:00 showing.... and I also had a friend's mom buy us all tickets lmao.

As for the movie;
    Those who say the magic and shizzle is too over the top, it's portraying history like the greeks did, think of it as a greek tradgety. They always told their stories with over-the-top fighting and magical beings... besides, there isn't THAT much magical stuff.

My complaints: (( Possible Spoilers ))
    Blood was CG. If you watched carefully, none of the blood got on a spartan until the end of the day, and all of the sudden they were smeared with stuff.

The writing for the king (Telisius? Was that his name?) was pretty shabby; either that or his acting sucked. No one in those times said "uh, it seems that YOU are the one that's gonna die today" (That's not an exact quote obviously, but that's what it felt like he used to verbally assault the persians).

Also, so much was slow motion I wouldn't doubt the actual footage time was 1/3 of the total movie time.
    Still was cool; afterwards I ran around the mall for an hour yelling "THIS IS.... SPARTA!" And anyone that said anything was a persian spy sent to assasinate me, and my friends were my spartan comrades. Of course, if my friends said anything I called them a heretic.

Then I went to a lanparty, played WoW, played Wii (Zelda and Wiiplay), and finished with Borat.

/blog

17. The Buttery Lobster

For the record I'M the only one who complained about the movie, and that's only what I learned from the preview, and THAT was only to be a dick. ;)

It looks like a fun movie!

18. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

19. ^Dee^

the film is portraying the comic book of the same name >.>

20. The Buttery Lobster

I will say this, however. For chris-sake, put some damn pants on!