2.8.X changelog - read this while testing

Discussion in 'Testing Discussion' started by Tama, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

2. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Really? So you get the squad point bonus even if you're not in the aura zone? That's cool.

I was literally going to ask how you did it tbh xD I guess we all deal with it in a different way. To be honest, the games I've played recently (which have been few, but still some) have been more fun and less caustic than they used to be. It's just all that history rearing its head like psychological damage, really.

I just want to clarify, I usually pick my squad after my first death, because then I've gotten into a position and will be able to pick a squad that's actually near me. But none of those things you've highlighted are things I find useful. I mark most targets normally and I don't need to prove I'm not a noob. I honestly don't think being a squad leader proves anything at all, especially if you're in a squad solo. Usually proves the opposite.

To be totally honest, I'm just stating something that irks me particularly. No one has to agree with it or change anything. Though the more I talk about this the more I feel squads have become more of a greedy façade than anything else. Why is there a popup that directs me to join something that I should decide to join for myself? There's no freebie first skill from squads any more, so it's not mandatory, and in most pub games (that aren't infantry maps) I would guess that squads go underutilised as a whole. Empires has some great things that force you to work with your team. Squads aren't really one of them, and shouldn't be treated as such.

With the exception of infantry maps, squads generally aren't that necessary. And you can tell this because most of the time they're in two pieces across a battlefield.

I'm not arguing against squads, but when someone pretty much keeps whacking me over the head with them I get irritated. Also, above, if it actually is true that you get squad point bonuses while not being near your squad, that defeats the entire purpose of squads (imo). While nice, it's just an extra bonus for the sake of bonuses. I think we probably do have the ability to make squads better, and it's about time they are.

tl;dr I like squads, but they're not something that needs to be forced on people. Except maybe on infantry maps.

3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

When he said targets he means how targets from comm works, squad leads can do the same thing. Giving yourself wall hax without a camera is pretty nifty, though I never use it because I have to spam the target button 5 times before it registers I want to mark something.:(

About squad points for being in a squad too, as said it only gives if squad actually generates squad power points, so squads that actually stick together don't just generate 100 squad points for powers they also give their members their 3rd skill by like 10 minutes into the match. It's bonuses on top of bonuses, though I misread and that's exactly what you said. Derp.

Mr. x, when I mentioned the map I wasn't talking about the minimap at all, I don't think doodles should show up on there just as you mentioned, it's too much stuff. When you expand it though there's definitely room. I do think doodles are a good idea too, move orders leave room for people to do dumb things, especially if you want players to go a certain way to avoid detection, or draw it but lead it in a different direction. Things I have definitely seen some commanders, or at least squad leads, struggle with.

Half the reason I suggest attaching squads to the map is so when you highlight a player in a squad, that player gets highlighted on the map. So you know exactly who and where everyone is. That's why it would be good.

4. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

As far as I know the minimap and the "full map" are one and the same. aren't they?

5. Awpolt

Awpolt Member

Awesome changelog, thank you!

If I may suggest a small change.

When players click on the "Auto Assign" option on the team selection menu, it sends "Player <name> joins team <team name>" to the chat log, just as if they had selected a specific team.

It would be a bit more helpful if it were changed to (like in TF2) "Player <name> was automatically assigned to team <team name>" so that we know that the player was automatically assigned and did not select a specific team per say.

Example:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers.

flasche likes this.
  6. Lazybum

I'm just running off assumptions, but I would assume when commander draws on map they are really just drawing on a transparent overlay and this would only show up when a player hits the map button, that would be the easy way to take it on and off, and wouldn't have to actually touch the minimap code. The bad thing of course is that this would kinda block any buildings or whatnot because it's being drawn on top of it, so it would kinda have to be wedged between the map and icons and I have no idea how empires does the minimap, but I've heard nothing but bad things. So yes, assumptions, the main one being "it's not that hard" when it most certainly is and I'm just doing a bit of wishful thinking.

Still though, that thing about squad members being highlighted on the map if you hover or simply click their name would be super nice.

7. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Well I'm all for being able to draw on the minimap, as it's usually what's being done before you play summers league and stuff like that. Just as long as it's done right.

8. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

inb4 the contest for the bestest dickbutt strategy :D

but yes, drawing on the map would be incredibly nice. but i only heard horror stories about the minimap so far. like looking at directory alone gives you goosebumps.

9. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

although... since the commander is only elected at the end of the vote time how would you decide who gets to draw on the map and who doesn't? Because once the round begins the commander won't have time to draw anything.

10. flasche

good point. but i think it would still be helpful to communicate plans, even if its ad hoc. so i guess whoever sits in the boom tank gets to draw penises ...

... maybe you also could draw on a "personal canvas" during vote time and once you got elected it gets syncronized with everyones minimap. and the plans of those not voted in simply get discarded.

if you take it very far, you could even have an option to save plans to disk (or even draw them outside in paint/gimp/ps/whatever..., if theyre just vtfs that should be easy) so you could have all sorts of plans available - maybe even provide default plans to pick from, there are quite a few well established strategies for the official maps.

you could even show small plan preview icons next to comm names during vote (and have them show a preview if you click them), to pick one with a plan you like.

but minimap code. though maybe tama is insanity resistant and finds a way? :fingerscrossed:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  11. Lazybum

I remember beerdude talking about adding in a planning phase of like a minute or something after comm vote time if he got to adding in the drawing phase, I remember screen shots of him drawing something, probably dicks, on it. If commander vote time was reduced by like 30 seconds or something I think it would be a nice addition...

12. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Okay, I'm convinced, do it now! :p
    However for the noob games nowadays you can just remove the planning phase entirely as I haven't seen any plans being made in years. Which is sad.

13. Lazybum

I blame spec not joining games til the match has actually started. No one can come up with plans when your team size suddenly doubles one match and the next no one plays and everyone is sitting in spec.

14. flasche

yeah thats a really shit habit. join the round right away or stay in spec. worst are those players who wait until a team archieved something just to ruin it by joining with all the knowledge you have as spec.

15. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Yeaah I know. I don't particularly like that though. I would rather have a long-lasting fading mark effect than the red diamond..because it is hacky, totally. I think comms should have a different tool now, though. Since they still need a replacement for mass targets. A ping marker painting everyone in a camera effect would be pretty fire and forget, and if it lasted a couple minutes it would be pretty useful.

16. Lazybum

Personally thought wall hax was always annoying, I'd much prefer a more... ambiguous thing? Like against buildings it should be that diamond, but against infantry I thought it would be nice to just have some little pop up, off to the side so you don't get too distracted, that just gives a rundown of who's there. Like commander clicks a spot and boots on the ground get a couple of messages along the lines of"2 grens, 1 engy, light tank present". Something that said yes there's enemies around but not enough info for you to simply aim at the guy before you ever see him. Cameras are fine though, especially if that jammer idea ever came into play, mostly because it's fragile, range isn't huge, and needs engy to build which takes time.

Mostly say this because I am super tired of everyone wanting targets every 2 seconds. It's not fun to hand out, I've seen people look at the wrong guy and die because the attack targets box decides to select the rifle out there and not the gren rounding the corner, don't say how many people are there so people again assume it might be safe when it isn't, don't work on the thing I most want to give targets against(GODDAMN SCOUTS IN MAH BASE), and some other reason that I can't remember right now.

Ikalx likes this.
  17. complete_

complete_ lamer

18. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

Why is there no comment on that yet? I don't want my crotch to shoot my NFHR less accurately.

19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

I like how empiresmod scripts are cyclical in nature

every so often we come back to how they started.