2.8.X changelog - read this while testing

Discussion in 'Testing Discussion' started by Tama, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

Empires 2.8.1 "Asymptote"
    April 6, 2016

* Bugfixes:
    Crash when spawning an APC, if you fire the MG immediately after constructing it
    Comm crash fix
    Commander can once again place buildings near enemy walls, engineer cameras & radars, and unbuilt buildings
    Reverted unintentional change, so that vehicle weapons aim towards the crosshair again, rather than parallel to your aiming direction (dual cannons still work)
    Fixed exploit building through the walls of emp_canyon, by reinstating a check from 2.6.9 that was missing
    Reverted unintentional change; you can now build through ammo crates again (and multiplayer physics props)
    The squad popup back in your face every round, because we just can't trust you to remember
    Fixed building underwater and through world, found in 2.8.0 beta
    Fix vehicles not being forced out of vehicle factory on creation.
    Removed emp_gauntlet descriptions since that map is gone
    Map description file for emp_noreturn

* Balancing changes for "Asymptote"
    For years, there have been only 1~2 usable armors. We would like each armor to have its own special trait that makes it a decent option to research under different circumstances; to that end, we've modified capacitive, absorbant and reflective, as well as bio MG and plasma MG, to better suit the strategic commander. We've also buffed railguns and nerfed walls to make for a faster endgame. Artillery is back, baby! The new 180mm Artillery Cannon packs a much better punch than before. See the full changelog below.

* Other code fixes:
    8 traces in cilinder to establish evenness of terrain; draw traces that fail
    No more building placement on top of buildings/players/vehicles.
    Added con command to give a team resources, only usable by server admins; "emp_give_resources"
    Added cl_mute_all_comms to mute chat as well as voice.
    Don't count player dropped buildings towards the max turret limit.
    Disabled stripping symbols for server for better sourcemod support
    Rename Assault class to Scout.
    DefaultLightmapScale is now 64; this is a setting for new brushes created in hammer, and was requested by DocRabbit; it does not change how existing maps will compile
    A player's ticket usage is also incremented for first spawn, as they use a ticket anyway.
    Save player stats when they spawn and are killed.
    Re-added building hints, reimplemented much simpler than the old ones, and properly scaling to screen size
    Updated the Source SDK with the latest code from the TF and HL2 branches. (now on 0d8dceea431 in the Source SDK, latest commit)

* Non-code fixes:
    New models for Brenodi engineer camera and radar, courtesy of Smithy.
    emp_streetsoffire: Fixed misaligned overlay outside BE main. Change contributed by D.D.D. Destroyer.
    emp_district402: Fixes flag model for be 3rd flag using the wrong emp_cap_point
    Add a template map for new mappers: SteamApps\common\Empires\empires\mapsrc\emp_template.vmf
    Change starting armor in emp_glycencity to absorbant instead of budget.
    Replaced the broken "test microphone" textures.

* Semantic versioning:
    We're now using semantic versioning as described on http://semver.org/
    The major version number is 2, and is bumped whenever we change so much that the game is fundamentally different.
    The minor version number is 8, and is bumped for any change that requires both server and client to update
    The patch version number is 0, and is bumped for any change that does not require an update to remain compatible - so, only crash fixes.

See the forums for more discussion on our versioning system.

In addition to semantic versioning, which is useful for server owners and devs mostly, each future version will maintain a name for the current balancing (or "scripts"), with an optional suffix to indicate small tweaks or (potentially major) bugfixes. This also helps for beta testers to know what balancing they are testing.

* More detailed balancing changelog:
    HEMG Damage 11 -> 10.5
    Reflective->Deflective (thanks Mr.X), also corrected a typo (absorbant).
    Bio MG rework, more single shot dmg, longer cycle time, much shorter bio dmg interval.
    Plasma MG rework, lower heat gen & heat to enemy, longer cycle time, higher damage.
    Angle modifier 1->0.95 & 10% shell/missile/MG resist for Deflective, 15% MG resist for Absorbant.
    HML dmg 45->52 clipsize 6->7 reload time 6->5 SHML lock time1.5->1.2 total clip 6->7
    5% shell/missile resist for Deflective, 15% vehicle MG resist for Absorbant.
    Capacitive cost 15->20
    Capacitive rework, more hp, no degen, negative angle modifer, increased bio dmg.
    Absorbant health 60->66
    Explosion force 100000 -> 70000, less flipping.
    Artillery cannon rework, higher "alpha" damage, lower DPM. Higher radius except for ranged. (2.8.1 buffed the range for the small and medium arty)
    wall resist against kinetic/missile 0.95->0.925, everything else 0.97->0.94 (mortar and seismics unchanged); NB; effective strength against tanks halved
    Always spawn with max ammo for BEHR.
    Reactive weight 20->18
    HMG Stamina drain decreased significantly, slight damage buff.
    Abs bio damage modifier 0->0.3
    DUMG/DUHMG spread 0.04->0.03
    Regen health 60->70 Regen 0.067->0.07
    Composite cost 15->20, reason same as Deflective.
    Deflective cost 15->20, this is to make cheaper armor stands out.
    NFHR rework, damage buff, slightly increased cycle time, better standing acc, lower crotch/prone acc.
    BEAR rework, damage & accuracy buff, slightly longer cycle time.
    NF&BE ref now have same resists.
    Budget armor removal.
    Rail gun damage 45->50
    Absorbant cost 12->4
    DUMG damage 4->5 DUHMG damage 6->8
    Coolant engine buff; +10% heat dissipation, -25% heat output at max

Neoony likes this.
  2. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Just something I forgot to mention from the first test, this is not visible enough (it's a small red line for the one(s) that fail). It needs to be more visible, like a big red sphere or a thicker line.
    Also it still draws the big red square around buildings until you put it too close to something. Might want to remove that.
    Also Also, "CYlinder".

And a question: if we go this route instead of a big box, can we maybe make specific traces for each buildings? maybe some buildings would need more or less than 8 traces, but it'd allow more realistic placement (you could include the boxes from BE buildings).

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i think the best solution for building placement would be to get all the triangles intersecting the AABB of the building (anything more precise would probably be too expensive) and compair their (face)normals to up.
    now i dont know how to do that in source sadly (in detail, i only know the data is there in form of a bsp tree), ive tried it in unity though and it works nice as it allows for less even terrain than the old empires building placement did, while also removing the edge cases where a peak can leak into the building (as its normals wouldnt comply)

4. Neoony

Neoony Member

Pretty nice changelog :P

5. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Just an idea: could we get this message to pop-up only when the commander is trying to actually trying to place a refinery so it doesn't spam the screen, moreover if we can do that can we add a message that tells people when the commander is trying to place a building where they are.

Oh and maybe add a bit of transparency to those tips? and center the title?

6. flasche

i thought first spawn does not cost a ticket anymore? dunno which version, if id have to guess id say somewhere in the 2.4 range.

7. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

It does nowadays but doesn't show it in the scoreboard. But you're right at one point it didn't use a ticket for the first spawn, and I think it's the way it should be.
    Tickets are RE-spawn not spawn.

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

You know, when I see that slew of popups hit me when I join the game, the only thing I think is get out of my fricken face, as I keep pressing escape. It's just too much, and I don't care to deal with it before I do my own class loadout, tbh. Is there any way we can get a hint instead? That'll flash up for a few seconds after you spawn and just be a simple "you are not in a squad, press <#key> to find one" ?

Also, regarding the ticket use from spawn...I didn't know it was brought back, but I thought the reason that was removed before was so that new players could join on 0 tickets, and so that player count didn't affect the beginning of a game so much. I guess those might not be issues now?

9. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Maybe just add an option to disable the squad popup for those who don't like it. I personally find it useful as I tend to forget to join a squad, but then again if there hadn't always been a popup maybe I'd remember it by now.

10. flasche

man ik this is whining on a high level, its a menu you close (right after you joined a squad hopefully) once in the very begining of a round. just remember how it was before it showed by itself, people were typing "press c to join a squad, you get free points" constantly for the first minute or so. last time i played there only were a few unassigned, and most in squads - at that without anyone asking for it.

its deffinately better to show it right away. also you would need to open it up again anyway, so in the end you actually save a keypress ... if we start to consider pressing a key as something exhausting and therefor start counting keypresses, you are better of this way. my flawless is logic! :P

^^

11. Ranger

Ranger Member

So, after paper armour, I guess here comes the rubber armour yay!

12. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Abs got some other buffs, like 10% more hp. It'll actually be nice on maps like canyon or wherever you feel horribly poor.

Speaking of armors, it's been something bothering me for awhile now but I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but I finally figured it out. We keep buffing armors, they get stronger and stronger. It might not seem like much, and especially after certain weapons got good damage boosts, but the point is that this keeps nerfing infantry against tanks. Not just grens but turrets too. I have never felt so ineffective against tanks, and with more higher pop games happening this means more tanks in general, so there's even less infantry can do. Just saying increasing infantry damage somehow against tanks wouldn't be amiss. It's not hard to do at all either...

I thought the reason you used a ticket on first spawn was because vets would abuse it and keep spawning in after 0 tickets if it didn't?

Neoony likes this.
  13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Tbh, I very much dislike it. And I never join a squad from it.

I get why it's useful, it just bugs me to swearing levels because it's just one thing after another after another. I realised that's part of the reason I'm always annoyed at the beginning now, just because I'm being inundated with popups. I want an adblock for Empires :p

I keep writing a rant, over and over again, and...idk. I just don't like it because each popup is to me another question of "do you really want to play this? y/n" in my face. And I don't need those kinds of questions because if I think about it, I won't. But this is problem specific to me rather than anyone else, so I'm sure it's fine.

I dunno, I also want to say squads are kinda pointless for me because I put out fires, so I'm very rarely near my squad leader. Even if I am it doesn't really help me much. I guess this makes sense why my progression has been kinda slow in the last bunch of games I've played though.

@Lazy I dunno. I mean how much spawning could vets do at 0 tickets? You mean specs joining or people rejoining the server? I thought rejoining now kept your stats, right? So you'd use a ticket on rejoin anyway...

14. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

I don't think Artillery was ever 'here' to qualify as coming back. I'll reserve judgment until we see what if anything comes out of it, but imo artillery is something that has never quite fit in this game.

You monster.

I mean... it's what, 4 popups? First the choose faction, then the choose class, then join squad, and finally select spawn? And you'll only see 3 of those again if you choose to later down the line.

Good stuff Tama and other nameless denizens of the deep. Also Smithy for the new models.

Actually looks like things are going well development-wise... GUI update when?

Oh, and can you turn off the building tips etc. in options?

15. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I'm talking about way back when, I don't know what version added the whole ticket thing on spawn but I would assume vets would simply quit and rejoin, or go spec and rejoin team, if it didn't cost them a ticket to spawn. That way they could bypass the system and keep playing.

I wonder if the squad thing would work better if it was attached to the map, so you could see where all the squads are at and what they are doing and make a better decision on which squad to join. It would tie nicely if commander or whoever could draw on map so when it's decided that alpha is going south for whatever reason the player could see that and join that squad.

Last thought is maybe people should be just forced into whatever squad at the beginning of the match? The people who wanted friends in their squad would either just make a new one or simply boot someone if they have lead.

Oh and ikalx, even if you aren't always near your squad when squad generates points you too get points to get those skills faster, so it's always better to be in a squad.

16. complete_

complete_ lamer

Originally, the first spawn was supposed to be free and not cost a ticket. People (me) would quit and rejoin and would end up not using any tickets. However, that was fixed and then there wasn't any problems with first spawns being free. But somewhere along the way, first spawns started being counted AND tickets weren't being counted as used.
    I see Tama's solution is to just make it count as a ticket used for the player, but I would've liked to see it go back to the first spawn being free.
    But you can turn it off. People will turn it off after they play for a week.

Code changes look great. I'm especially happy about emp_give_resources. Script changes? yeaaaaaa......

17. flasche

no ... no not at all. but for me its not the buttons i have press or windows to close, its knowing that the round probably wont be enjoyable again because its either stacked from the begining or 2/3rd lurk in spec till they can throw around the game completely making any archievement for one team void, and so on ...

18. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

You mean like the letters that show up under players? You know you can already tell which squad is where, right? which often leads me to shout at them for not being in the right place. What you can't tell is which member of the squad it is.

as I said previously the map already has too much stuff on it, drawing would just make it even more difficult to see. That and the fact that commander would only have time to draw at the beginning of the round so for very basic things like giving squads direction, which you can already do with right click (move here).
    No what's missing in the ability to select each squad as commander.

If random people were forced into my squad at the beginning of the game I'd just have to kick them and they would end up with no squad and no pop-up menu to tell them until they notice.

Even if you're alone in a squad you can give yourself targets, that's a good enough reason to join a squad.
    And the commander can then identify where you are quickly, know that you're less likely to be a noob, and give you proper orders.

19. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I kind of agree with Lamer here, we had the better version. (Free first spawn & rejoining doesn't work)

You do know that I am doing for the script changes, right?

Anyway this goes to all of you, if you have problems with scripts, come to me.

20. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

I know you are doing the script changes, and I just checked the feedback thread which I apparently did not reply to. I thought I had already posted the same comment in that thread.

Flips 4 lyfe. /s