2.5 Test #1 - BUGTEST REPORT THREAD

Discussion in 'Testing Discussion' started by Trickster, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

We'll keep this post updated with the buglist. No reports about the shotgun please, that's unimportant for the time being.

General

Player positions not reported. Fixed
    Kill messages not displayed. Fixed
    Some weird crash in which several people instantly got dumped to desktop. No crashdumps. Potentially related to vehicle recycling.

Map Specific

Broken skybox on Crossroads This is definitely due to HDR, we'll do a full recompile on it at some point.
    Very high HDR on Crossroads. Maybe set mat_bloomscale_factor to 0.5 by default in the client cfg for the entire game.
    Weird shadow across the whole of Canyon appearing sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2014
  2. Silk

Silk Mapper

- Had a crash to desktop when shot by BE infantry while building my ML turret. Didn't crash when I reproduced, and I can't find a crashdump anywhere so not very usefull.
    - Entered BE apc as passenger, switched some positions, when going back to seat #2 to use my gun the smg had no sound while firing, yet the reload sound was still there. After exiting the vehicle the sound worked again Fixed, fucking finally
    - In vehicle customization menu, you can't replace something with something else. You have to remove the currently installed item before placing the one you want in return. To be honest I can't remember if this is how it always worked, but it's strange if you don't know it This is in normal Empires, but considering that even vets forget they can't just swap out weapons, I'll make a post in suggestions for future reference.

3. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Plasma particles not working.
    I crashed once when recycling a nf apc but couldnt reproduce.
    Default kill bind doesnt work (ill change it)
    Bio ML is even more annoying as infantry

4. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Silk's #3 has always been like that

5. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

There is no smoke from scout sab. Can't reproduce; it's known that particle effects are sometimes broken on the current version.

When you zoom in with binoculars and then switch a weapon you stayed zoomed in. Though apparently that was from old empires too.

Edit: on money you can see this weird grid thing near the middle on be's side. It goes from the ceiling to the ground, so you can't really miss it. Fixed by including lostcoast materials

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2014
  6. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

If you quickly fire and then melee, the HUD removes a bullet for firing then puts it back when you melee then removes it again. Tested with NF pistol1 and BE pistol1.

Scout spawns with binocs out, might be normal. Can't reliably reproduce, sometimes happen in 2007pires, doesn't affect gameplay

Crashed immediately after finishing building a rax. can't repro

7. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

• Clicking fire button too fast stops weapon fire animation from working.
    • Switching to binoculars then zooming to the first zoom level and switch weapons causes it to stay zoomed in. This seems to be caused by it just going to next zoom level then switching weapons as zooming in twice with the binoculars then switching weapons works fine.
    • No kill messages. Fixed
    • When building a new vehicle with a HIT missile the HIT missle can't fire for a few seconds. (feature or bug?)
    • STD ML Explosion looks weird. (screenshot) This is in default Empires, though it does look weird anyway.
    • Player positions not updating. Fixed
    • Mouse cursor not drawing with chat box open unless the cursor is directly over the chatbox. Just move the mouse cursor outside of the chat box and it disappears, can make it difficult to get the mouse cursor over the chat box in the first place.
    • Auto spawn point selection not working? (someone else confirm this please). This got removed a while a go due to complaints and issues
    • Messed up skybox on crossroads with hdr enabled. (screenshot)
    • Text clipping for 'secondary' on vehicle weapon assignment GUI. (screenshot)
    • Help text at the bottom of vehicle weapon assignment GUI is incorrect You can't assign vehicle weapons to passengers right?. (screenshot)

I had hdr enabled through out the whole test if that's any help.
    Also about the vehicle weapon help text being wrong, someone should go through all help texts like this and update them.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2014
  8. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I'm going to go through posts and just strike out things and put notes after them as I fix them to make it easier to skim through everything for me. For reference, any notes I add will be in italics. Also, I've already fixed the problems with slaughtered and money; I had forgotten to include the lostcoast materials in the gameinfo.txt, but it should be good now.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  9. D.D.D. Destroyer

Afaik auto spawn selection is not included anymore

10. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

If you are prone and hit crouch and forward at the same time you'll fall through the floor. Not always consistent, but it does frequently. Fixed

11. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

This has been the same for a while...

12. Candles

With player positions not updating, I'm actually wondering if it might be related to how sometimes once in a while in Steampires, you can spectate someone in third-person and they'd be doing the same thing where their position isn't updating but all their animations are still being transmitted, and if you watch them in third person, the POV doesn't change by you can still watch all their actions as they see them.

I'm also wondering if it's related to external sounds not playing when in a vehicle's passenger seat. I noticed that you can spec a player in a vehicle just fine, just not one on the ground. Similarly but in reverse, you can hear sounds when not in a vehicle's passenger seat, but you can only hear sounds generated by yourself when in a passenger seat.

This makes me want to go a step further and say that the server isn't transmitting the player positions because it thinks the player is somewhere else and not visible. Likewise, it doesn't transmit the sounds because it thinks the player is further away than the maximum fade distance. This would then further tie it into the previous bugs where fade distance was being calculated from the center of the world to the player instead of from the center of the model to the player. From my perspective, at least, they seem very similar.

13. D.D.D. Destroyer

Not everyone played since that change :p

14. HaschteWas

HaschteWas Member

Every time when I get stuck (below the ground) I am teleported to the map origin to be instantly killed there, because this is on most maps somewhere below/outside the map. On the new canyon map I dont get killed but just getting stuck near the middle ref point on the south side.
    So the server seems to never pick up your actual spawn location...
    Fixed

15. Candles

That first one is a known bug in Steampires; it's most visible with BEP2.

The second one is also a known bug that someone should fix eventually.

I don't know if the third one is a feature or a bug. It's the same with every weapon, actually. Once you make a vehicle, you have to wait one full cycle time to fire the weapon. It's only noticeable on nukes, but if you make a tank with Nukes, BioML and Plasma cannon, then instantly hold the fire button, you'll notice that the delay syncs up perfectly with the cycle time of each.

16. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Another minor bug I would like to add is that flying around in spectator is juddery and not smooth, but I am not sure what to make of that at this stage.

17. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

It'd be interesting to see if the bug that cyberkiller mentioned will be fixed when the player positions are updated on the server

18. Candles

I considered it being related when I wrote my post, but I'd have to first look into how the server deals with spectators as opposed to other players in terms of prediction, and then that brings up the question of why is it equally as bad on a local game as it is on the dedicated server.

19. Candles

I've managed to narrow it down to either being a problem in the data tables or a problem involving the client-side rendering. The server has no problems keeping track of everything, plus if I force the game to transmit every entity all the time, the problem doesn't get any better, so it's either a problem with how the client receives/processes the data, or it's a problem with how the server's sending it. Data tables were giving me hell with some confusing as all fuck bugs during the initial bug fixing, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're to blame.

20. Silk

Silk Mapper

Glad this wasn't just me :)