[2.26]Test for Sunday, July 25, 2010 at 20:00:00 GMT

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Mashav, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Mashav

Mashav Member

This test will be a balance test.
    Several games will be played to judge how these changes effect normal normal gameplay.
    At least 20 testers will be required.
    The test will last as long as there are testers.

Please, do not use this thread for feedback, and hold feedback until after you have attended a test.
    Use the Tester Build Feedback section with the correct header of "[2.26]" for feedback threads.

Test was scheduled on this

See this thread for a changelog up to 261.

Relevant changes since 261:

-Empty's particle patch 1 now in the svn.
    -empties request: changed sml particle into actual sml particles, and made HEMG into armor piercing for some reason

2. Mashav

Mashav Member

Test failed due to lack of testers.

3. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

Community seems fairly uninterested in testing :(

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

We gave feedback at the last test. No update since. What's the point of testing if everyone gets ignored?

5. Mashav

Mashav Member

I cant speak for any other devs, but I'm pretty much ignoring any test with less then 15-20 people(all of them since 2.25). And anyways trickster, you joined for half a map then ragequit, you barely tested.

At this point its just looking like im going to need to be available for the few days after the next version release to hotfix any script issues, because they're not getting any decent tests beforehand.

6. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I also got you every tester there by committing about 5 minutes work by simply asking people to join, which was more than you've managed to do in the past 2 months. The forums, and in the test, we all said the e-build problem is an issue. Where are the proposed changes? Oh wait, there are none, because with the current attitude, testers are pointless. If we had script manifest, you could get your balance changes (for the most part, e-build change not withstanding) done in 2.25. If you can't get it done in 2.25? Whatever the balance change is, move it to the scripts so you can get it tested.

Public testing on a public server with public players is always going to be more valuable than a bunch of testers which you just ignore anyway.

7. Mashav

Mashav Member

You got me 150% more people then id had(4-10), yes, and I thank you for that. However, I still don't consider 10 adequate for balance testing.

From my understanding, the ebuild changes were put in as an experiment to test how it would work in a decent test. There have been no tests that I can call decent since before 2.25.

You have been calling out against ebuild when its barely been tested, and have only shown up for 1/2 of 1 test.

You may not realise this, but I don't care for the ebuild changes either. However, Im not going to try and get it removed when it hasn't really been tested yet.(although to be fair, im rather passive and probably wouldn't try and get it removed after)

As long as coding changes are still being done alongside scripting changes, I oppose the script manifest. Separating balance changes just seems terrible in helping development as far as I'm concerned(and I felt this way even before I became a dev). If all coders abandon empires, then I do certainly hope they manage to get it working before they go, but not before then.

Well until all coders leave or coding changes can be done publicly (steamworks) this is all we've got.
    Anyways, having a large enough group of dedicated testers would be better then just putting things on public servers, As people joining would actually have to know that they're testing.