[2.26]Test for Saturday, August 14, 2010 at 20:00:00 GMT

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Mashav, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Mashav

Mashav Member

This test will be a balance test.
    Several games will be played to judge how these changes effect normal normal gameplay.
    At least 20 testers will be required.
    The test will last as long as there are testers.

Please, do not use this thread for feedback, and hold feedback until after you have attended a test.
    Use the Tester Build Feedback section with the correct header of "[2.26]" for feedback threads.

Test was scheduled on this

See this thread for a changelog up to 261.

Relevant changes since 261:

-Empty's particle patch 1 now in the svn.
    -empties request: changed sml particle into actual sml particles, and made HEMG into armor piercing for some reason

Changes from last weeks test:
    -Fixes voices status position
    voice self status is always visible (in comm mode too)
    -fix position of wages

-Comm heat buffed
    Heat dissipation 5->7
    Heat output at max 7->9 (so it still overheats while moving)
    Damage to heat absorbed 0.14->0.1

-Mine damage vs buildings buffed.
    All buildings mine resist .95->.9 (rax takes about 60% from 8 mines.)

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

After we said last week, that the new comm heat change is:

1) Pointless
    2) Bad for gameplay
    3) Causes issues from when a commander has been overheated and stunned, making it very difficult for him to move after that.

You keep it in.

This is why people don't attend tests. When everyone in that test, even the people on the winning side, said it was stupid that the NF comm couldn't move because of this, and you choose to continue with it. And no change to the the e-build either.

This is why you get no testers. There was no developer discussion on our feedback from last week and very little changed (besides bugfixes) based on the feedback. What's the point of testing if it's just a waste of time anyway?

3. Mashav

Mashav Member

Trickster, as much as you would like to make it sound, there was no resounding consensus on anything during that test. The two largest concerns for testers by far was ebuild and wage, and those had rather mixed reactions. Even you who was calling for ebuild to be removed from the svn changed your stance to simply have it modded.

A couple people did voice concerns over the comm heat, so I buffed the comm heat by alot to see if the mechanic would work when taken to a lesser degree. I did listen to those who said it was too much and toned it down. If after the next successful test it doesn't work at all then I'll remove it.
    This is why I say I'm limited by tests, trying out a slight variation of something takes 2 weeks rather then 2 days.

I can't touch ebuild, so I leave it to those who can.

On your feedback/suggestion list only 3 things deal with scripts.
    CV heat, Engi repair of vehicle speed, Initialization process.

Cv heat I addressed, even though the comment on it was also flawed(from heat 100-80, the cv cools normally while pushing the engine at full rev. The cv should have overheated like a normal 2.25cv with more cooling from heat 80-100.)

Engi repair on vehicles is keefs, and hell was not raised over it, so I leave it to his discretion.

Initialization process was not a problem during the test, so the comment on it was speculation. If it actually does prove to be a issue in an actual test, it will be removed.

Once again, I cant touch anything else, so I leave it to those who can.

4. Deiform

Deiform Member

So what are we testing if half the stuff that needs to be changed hasn't been fixed yet?

5. Mashav

Mashav Member

Well I was trying to get these and ebuild tested. Since no one really cared about most of the stuff on the first list(which was kinda the point of most of that), and pretty much everything else must be done by coders, not much has been changed.

6. Opie

Opie Member

The comm should lose heat much slower than he does in the released version but having it produce heat while driving is not a good idea. One rush on the comm and I will kill him.

E-build has not been changed. 0 developer feedback on the issue or any issue from last test.

Things that are a problem in the current game are ignored in the suggestions area.

Mashav you have a bad job here, it is not your fault. Thank you for trying.

Does anyone actually remember what was researched last test? That should be better tracked.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  7. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

I can't fix e-build for the this playtest. Maybe next week. Just test balance for now, also see if you can figure out the comm armor thing.

8. Trickster

I never once said I wanted e-build completely removed. I still feel it should be set at the same values as I said before the test. I merely said my prediction that an all-rifleman rush wasn't exactly right. Grens are required too.

And yes, I guess Opie is right, you can't change a lot of this stuff yourself, but after nagging for testers for weeks (maybe even months), you were also nigh on silent during the test, as well as not even asking people for their feedback after it.

Having said that, I just saw that Brutos is looking into the e-build, which is good to say the least. And whilst "hell wasn't raised" over the armour/hull repair rate changes, the effect this had on the command vehicle was pretty horrendous, even if it can't be changed via scripts.

But seriously, why persist with the command vehicle heat-up. I don't see how it benefits the game in any way shape or form.

9. Opie

Opie Member

Thank you Brutos.

10. Trickster

Brutos, can you put a damage tracker in for the CV or some shit?

11. Brutos

Sorry not today. For tomorrow I can.

12. Brutos

That reminds me that I have to make new dlls for you guys, before I go.

13. Brutos

Okay dlls are up, rev 280 should be the one for the playtest

14. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

you mean 281

15. Mashav

Mashav Member

If I took something wrong away from this statement then I apologize.
    I wasn't silent. I answered several questions during the test, and while the test was winding down before I left I asked several "what did you feel about "thing"" questions and got very few answers. Its likely just the curse of using text.
    Build rates on armour/hull are scriptable. I only heard 2 people mention anything about them, even after I specifically asked about it. Since It was not that huge an issue, I still feel its keefs choice to make changes to it. As I've had to say for everything, If It becomes a large issue with a significant amount of people, and I can change it, I will.
    I tried several ways to explain it, but this was the best I could think of.
    There's 3(main) situations where cv heat matters. While moving from base to base, after being stunned, and running at the end.
    I wanted to effect running at the end without affecting the other 2 that much.

Because of a fortuitous bug, cv overheating stops at 80, and actually cools at 100-80. Right after a stun, this means the cv has a 20 heat buffer that is entirely better than the 2.25 cv. While changing bases and taking a few hits, it takes 40 seconds of pure running to completely overheat yourself, and the 20 heat buffer will dissipate single attackers nicely. At the end however, when there are 8+ tanks constantly chasing the cv, the longer it stays out, the more heat it will accumulate and the easier it will be to over heat with normal tank weapons.

There is also a problem, If you tap the accelerator very quickly in the cv, you will actually cool down, without losing speed, merely dampening your cooling. This means that in longer runs it will still cool decently by those who figure this out(which I figured wouldn't take long)

During the match on canyon, the NF cv got raped because of an obscene amount of res from wages and the armour bug stripping every plate on every side before the major rushes occurred. Because the cv never made it very far, and because of the 20 heat buffer, I'm inclined to think that it had more to do with the obscene amount of apcs and scouts with stuns that stopped it from running than the cv overheat. In the event that it was (somehow) a major contributor, cv heat has been buffed, and as such, I wish to see how it turns out. If it truly shows that it is the cause of crappy gameplay, it will be removed.
    (on an aside, it was also originally included with a speed boost and armour nerf, but those got shot down,)

16. Brutos

This is stupid. Either everyone gets the disadvantage or none. I see if I can fix this bug if you guys decide to keep it in.

17. Mashav

Mashav Member

Awesome. Just in case you didn't realize, this is technically on all engines, but is just taken to the extreme because of the difference of 7/9(was 7 now 9) in heat dissapation between idle and max.(next highest is fission with a difference of 3)

18. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

Also, do engines still cool down faster when driving backwards? I feel like I am the only player on the field ever using that.

19. Empty

Empty Member

I believe it got fixed, it used to be a fairly big balance issue with fission.

20. Opie

Opie Member

Okay yes. But you missed when me in a single nf lt raped the BE CV. He was just barely able to move and I was able to almost completely kill him. The only reason he did not die was because I let him go so that the test could go on. So, that had nothing to do with what you mentioned before.