[2.23] Glycencity: Ideas

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Lollum, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

Bring up and discuss ideas for glycencity here.

My ideas right now:

-restrict turrets in the mid OR get rid of l3s somehow.
    -split mid flag into 2 flags OR make the mid flag only a spawnpoint- and res-flag, which is not required to capture each team's second flag anymore.
    -make the BE's first spawnpoint harder to access and make the BE-bunker (second BE-flag) somehow harder to capture.
    -the stairs facing the mid flag south to the mid flag (next to that corner with the one side-flag) offers good cover for NF, but BE gets nearly nothing to compensate. Maybe make NF unable to shoot from there.

Currently, glycen really favours NF.

2. @@@@Marcin@@@@

@@@@Marcin@@@@ Developer

-Give it a sewer system like district?

3. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Only allow APCs to be built.

4. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Erm, in what benefit would it help your team to spawn a heavy if your base is under attack and there is no spawn?

5. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

We are talking about Glycencity, right? Unless its been changed in one of the latest builds, I believe you can't get heavies on Glycencity.

6. recon

recon SM Support Dev

What if in addition to that, walls, turrets and reviving (indiv and squad) was disabled?

7. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Sorry, was thinking of other thread.

8. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Add mediums and some more weapon/armor tech to the VFs.

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

If the MkII's are a go, would we get those in glycen? :confused:

10. petemyster

petemyster Member

make the walls around the BE 2nd flag bunker, closer into the bunker. Meaning the NF have more of a distance to run to it.

11. recon

recon SM Support Dev

That would probably cause more stalemates.

12. Lithium

Lithium Member

I know this is unorthodox but how about we take away the spawning function of the flags (except for the starting flag) that way apcs will be relied on for spawns (enable the spawning function for apcs in glycen if it isn't allready) that way the fronts will always be dynamic and flowing based on the momentum the team has, this way it would be much easier to make a comeback if you're pushed back to your last flag when under normal circumstances you'd be fucked.

edit: and since theres only paper armour availble in glycen lower the res that the flags output

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  13. recon

recon SM Support Dev

People would stock pile APCs, encase them in walls (if they were allowed to build them) and build turrets around them (again, if turrets were allowed). Even without walls or turrets, there are plenty of hard to shoot at places where APCs could be placed.

14. Lithium

Lithium Member

yes but walls, turrets and reviving (indiv and squad) would also be disabled, you know, thats why i quoted your post.

also the res would be reduced and its only paper armour, and paper armour is crap which means it's actually possible to break the opposing team's momentum

15. recon

recon SM Support Dev

That would make the map fun :)

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Why?

Being able to build good tanks is what stops stalemates, good tanks blast apart turrets and allow engineers to decon walls, and are resistant to nade spam.

It's possible you'd get two teams of good tanks blowing the crap out of each other perpetually, but that as I understand it is what constitutes a good game of empires.

17. recon

recon SM Support Dev

I don't think it will work well on a flag map. I can see games going until one team runs out of tickets because it will be so easy to camp.

If a team only has paper APCs and LTs, they can't camp very easily with vehicles.

18. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

they can't gain ground very easily either, as infantry can easily own them, from lev3 ml, to mines, mortar and stickies.
    NF and BE meds are more balanced than AFV vs LT, theres lots of reasons to give this a try, except that glycen leans more towards infantry combat than vehicle combat, which is why I'm hesitant about giving it a try.

19. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

At the moment the problem with gaining ground is that neither team has the firepower to blow up MLs/MGs, or the damage resistance to counter nade/mortar spam, and subsequently don't have the power to advance close enought to clear out walls.

With medium tanks and something like ER cannon, or maybe plasma, something not designed to take out infantry but still good against structures, and decent, moderately priced armor like regen or reactive, that will allow them to advance forward and get rid of level 3s without worrying too much about mortar and grenades, then the infantry can go up and clear out the enemies.

The whole thing is too stagnant without some sort of anti-turret firepower and damage resistant vehicles. Paper tanks aren't powerful, they're weaker than infantry, the infantry need to follow the tanks and keep away sticky riflemen and grenadiers, while the tanks keep turrets away from the infantry and provide them something to hide behind, as well as giving them firepower to flush out campers.

Tanks wouldn't work alone because walls and grens can take on meds with relative ease, and infantry wouldn't work alone because they currently don't, but meds and infantry can break through any defence.

The only problem I could forsee is there being too many meds and the map being a bit clogged, not sure how to fix that other than opening some areas up a bit, the area between the centre and the park flag is a bit cramped, and a major clogging spot even now. It might be an idea to shorten some of the snow piles to make them drivable and also consider adding a route through the building to the east, which comes out at the east of the central flag. If you compare it to the BE equivalent area, the BE area is much more open.

I wouldn't suggest simply nerfing the res, because that more often than not produces rage because people buy the wrong tanks, players don't react well to low res flows.

20. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Pushing on Glycen is usually done by infantry, with vehicles following closely behind. If teams have non paper vehicles, it will change things significantly.

I think Glycen is one of the few maps that shows the kind of teamwork needed to move vehicles around safely.

What would happen if both teams were only able to build standard APCs and Meds? That would be a little more balanced than it is now. I wonder if the large NF Med size would swing things in BE's favor.