1000 ping issue.

Discussion in 'Support' started by CyberKiller, Jan 5, 2013.

1. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

It seems there is a problem for a small minority of players (including myself and trickster) where their ping rises to something like 1400 and some times you get disconnected with 'reliable snapshot overflow'.
    It only seems to happen with 64 players and when you are in a busy battle in the map.
    The issue has been spotted on Epic Main server and I am not sure if this affects Viper server as well.
    I will be investigating this problem myself and any solutions I find will be posted in this thread.

2. RetroFade

RetroFade Member

I crashed as commander with reliable snapshot overflow, tried to rejoin, and when I rejoined NF the game crashed rather than just being kicked.

But on 64 player money, I was waiting sooner or later.

But the noise and static from explosions, my god.

3. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

For anyone who doesn't know what a reliable snapshot overflow is, its when the server can't send you current information about the entities on the server in a timely manner. Generally it's caused by an excess of client entities and an client that can't receive the information fast enough or a server that can't send information fast enough. Unless there's something particularly special about this issue, then the only solutions are to get a better connection, reduce the number of client entities in the map, or possibly up the maximum entities allowed on the server works sometimes.

4. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Well being as this only affects certain people and that I have a fast connection I shall assume this might be some kind of issue with some peoples configurations.
    (A bit vague I know but I haven't narrowed it down to anything yet...)

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I just moved to another PC (my laptop in the UAE) so I'll see if I get it here. I can send you my configs Cyberkiller, if it'll help.

6. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Well I am wondering if this is a client side issue or a combination of server rates and client side issues.
    Next week I hope to try and artificially reproduce the issue in a local empires server.
    If that doesn't work I will have to copy emp main and then test with that instead. (sorry but this may involve lagging the whole box :D)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  7. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

I made a bit of progress on this issue today, I managed to reproduce the problem artificially: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=120151454

It seems that if I lower net_splitpacket_maxrate then the problem goes away but the tickrate drops instead due to the rate being capped.

I will still look into clientside solutions as well as tweaking the rates on emp main though.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  8. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Did some tweaking of the server rates today, having net_splitpacket_maxrate set at 40000 on the server seems to mostly resolve this issue. Any higher than this and it occurs again.
    However this does mean that the tickrate will drop in REALLY extreme situations such as 60 vehicles all fighting in the same area.

Want a constant 33 tick AND 64 heavy tanks all spamming Salvo ML and rails at each other?
    Tough.

I do suspect if the real cause of the problem is something like UDP flood protection built into some people's routers or the router just simply not liking too much UDP packets per second.

EDIT: Yes I know I triple posted but it wouldn't show that the thread had new posts otherwise would it?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  9. Trickster

If there's more than an hour between the posts then I don't mind people posting more than once.

Awesome work on this though, I can imagine it was a nightmare to track down. I'll make sure the default game values are updated with these.

10. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

The biggest difficulty was finding a way of simulating the network load of a fully populated server. This fix ins't a real fix for the issue more just a shoddy workaround as it means the tick rate will drop quite a lot in really bad situations although 10 tick is still fairly playable as long as its smooth. I will add that a mountain of 100 NF CVs is pretty extreme example so it will probably never be that bad.

The real cause of the 1000 ping for certain people could be one of many things; eg: their router, network interface, windows, ISP throttling ect.
    Or it could just be clunky old source engine.

I probably won't try and find a client side fix for this as it would probably take me months to track it down.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  11. Neoony

Neoony Member

I know this might be bullshit, but have you tryed playing around with command myinfo_bytes xx (2750 for example)

This was mostly used when getting Buffer overflow, but i think it might be worth trying

12. Deiform

Deiform Member

This is kind of on topic:

What kind of rates do you need to put to get a really bad ping, and how do people get that ping of 1? What does this mean? I did read up on this when I was a teenager but now I've completely forgotten, other than knowing that you can melee people better with a ping of 1.

13. Trickster

You can do cl_cmdrate 0 or someshit. But it only works on shitty servers without properly set min/max rates.

14. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Ok the 1000 ping issue is still occuring even though I thought it was fixed....
    I have no idea why its still happening, other than it makes the game unplayable. I need to do more experiments to figure out what exactly is causing it but I really don't feel like it at the moment.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013