1 slot plamsa cannon

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by o_O, Jan 24, 2009.

1. o_O

o_O Member

Make the plasma cannon a 1 slot weapon and tweak its stats a little to balance it. Right now it mostly has the properties of an upgraded std cannon anyway. It deals slightly more damage, produces slightly less heat, and fires faster (but it still overheats you so fast ROF doesnt matter unless you have coolant). On a light tank weight and heat would require you to take off either your ML or some armor, causing you to loose building killing ability and or infantry killing ability, but overall you would be better at tank fights. This would allow more diversity of strategy, you could use a single slot plasma to:
    -counter or fight apc charges, maybe
    -rush superlights and win with those
    -field plasma lights until mediums/heavies are done, then have a decent (but not as good as HE or ER) cannon to fight with instantly.
    -use plasma lights to protect arties, even against larger tanks
    -ever tried to kill infantry with plasma? They dont overheat or melt :( A plasma tank will require backup to kill infantry thus teamwork
    -something useful for late game lights or broke teams

In terms of balancing this, first off, I think that all armors should be nerfed proportionally so that tank combat is a little faster, but thats a whole another suggestion. Right now it would be hard to counter a light tank just running strait up to you and unloading every single shot into your side, blowing up anything without giving it much chance to avoid shots or fire back and overheat the light tank. Light tanks usually do this anyway, but with plasma it would be worse because it fires significantly faster and does more damage. I guess the cannon could be changed to avoid this, but really its a problem of the NF light tank being fast enough to get to melle range and short enough that they cant be hit. If its a problem I guess it could be given less DPS but less heat, sortof like the bigger cannons, but that's boring.

Pros: -possibly useful plasma cannon without massive overheating lameness
    -maybe a reason to research absorbant (plasma is a fast projectile) also absorbant = plasma and another weapon will fit on a light tank.
    -something that loosing teams could use, because loosing teams cant afford mediums or arties but can always field a few cheap light tanks.
    -alternative to pewpewpew death APC's
    -something to use instead of awful standard cannons when bigger tanks are first done.

Cons: -Phys tree would maybe have to be changed so you couldn't just go plasma then ER cannon with minimal delay. Then again, eclectrical, bio, chem, all have multiple weapons so maybe not.
    -could be too powerful if you could manage to rush strait to plasma and tear up enemy plain armor tanks, because plain armor sucks pretty badly. This is unlikely because physics is a fairly slow tree and just an armor engine is easily enough to kill paper tanks.
    -do we need another rush strategy?
    -might immobilize comms too easily

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  2. Tovarich Cookie

Tovarich Cookie Member

you know what? i like this. 1 slot plasma kinda solves a light tank's late game problems. they can actually DO something in a large tank fight! ZOMG!

3. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

be = raped

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Well not neccesarily, I mean BE do get dual rails and they tend to go for HE APCs oftentimes.

Both of those are perfectly suited to killing lights, so I don't think that's too much of a problem.

If BE go electrical, they get rails and homing, if they go physics they get DUMG and ER cannon, as well as their own plasma tanks. If they go chemistry they get HEMG, and if they go biology they get bio MG, all of which can be used to kill lights and can be equipped easily on BE tanks.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  5. Sirex

Sirex Member

The problem is that no other research field got dual cannons, only phyics got this, also got dual MG.

So if you research both you can't utilise all weapons like you can on other fields.
    So i am in favour of making plasma 1 slot, to make it more different.

6. o_O

o_O Member

Yea that might happen. Superlights are strong as it is.

Too bad AFV's dont have the ability to look down :(

7. Omneh

Omneh Member

AFV's should be able to flip LT's more easily.

8. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

You forgot that only heavies can use railguns. And the lt is already superior enough against AFVs.

9. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

No flipping. It's imbalanced, because it ignores weapons, armor, and so forth. Also, it looks stupid. It shouldn't be used as a game mechanic; I'd prefer it if tanks simply never flipped at all, as much as is possible.

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

No, I didn't forget, I simply pointed out that all through their tech trees the BE will get weapons which can be used to combat super duper LTs even with 3 phase, reactive, and plasma cannons.

Given that superlights and plasma cannons are in two different trees, by the time NF gets all of them, the BE should have meds, or at least some damn good APCs.

Hell if you want you could make DU research produce a one slot autocannon, which lies somewhere between standard cannon and DU. That would give BE something to use in the same tree but which fits better with the AFV being a slower, heavier tank, while the lights have to speed in and do damage close range, while the AFVs have to sit back and shoot.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009