1.08 Status Update

Discussion in 'News' started by Krenzo, Oct 20, 2006.

1. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

I'm pretty sure it'll be announced once we're getting close. At least we did in the past.

2. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

Krenzo! Damage Report?!?!

(refrence to Scotty or whatever ;o)

3. CobraA1

CobraA1 Member

I'm so gonna start playing this game again when the patch comes out . . .

We'll see about that. I've always liked flight sims, and happen to own Falcon 4.0: Allied Force. Watch out for me on the battlefield :D.

16x the size of our current maps? Sweet. I've always liked large, sprawling maps. As long as I'm not walking, that is . . .

4. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

I believe that 1.08 will be a failure if it doesn't include barrel rolls.

5. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

I dont care much for flying, Iam only a gunner on them helicopter things o.o dunno what i should say for empires.

6. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

Aircraft come with the version 1.1 this version how ever is 1.08. Three versions to go before airy airy fun, but I'm very interested to see how the iron sights will affect gameplay and what will become of the infantry weapons. What I know is that when the release comes throw all the good looking model renders to PHL with a couple of sweet mapshots and we'll have a plenty more Emp_Recruits to kill. :D

7. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Remember, no blimbs yet. Just ironsights for now, and hopefully some kind of arty rebalance. I pray to the almighty Krenzo for arty balance.

8. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

and sexy mines :P

9. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Oh man. I actually JUST looked at the new stuff. I'm still cleaning my keyboard.

OF DROOL, YOU DIRTY-MINDED WIERDOS!

Oh man. This is gonna be sweet. I may be making a Camp Faust map for the 42nd before the end of the year.

10. Cyber(Gunner_Yeyz)

Cyber(Gunner_Yeyz) Member

Wait, maps 16X the normal size. How is that even possible?
    Doesn't Hammer editor have a max map making area. I know MVally is the max size but even 10X Mvally it would be huge. Yes I want a long explansion since this confuses me greatly.
    OMG!!! The compiling, a map that big would take forever.
    Wouldn't the maps being that much bigger be that much harder to make? The size and effort with a map 16X would reach your computers compiling power so the maps must look bland...
    ARGGGG Just please explain that.

11. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

It's a post-compiling thing, I believe. The engine just scales all the geometry down by a set factor (in this case, sixteen.)

12. Caelo

Caelo Member

at least Empires will have the ability to load even bigger maps... That's all we have to know :)

13. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

It is a bit of a cheat really. The HLRally mod did the same thing on the HL1 engine.

Basically, instead of making the environment bigger, you make everything else smaller. The downside to this is less accurate collisions and physics simulation, and less detailed geometry. But the upside is, of course, a huge-freaking-whacking-great-big map! I think the default size from one side of the area to the other is about 2km, so this should be plenty of area to play with.

14. R_yell

R_yell Member

The 16x maps concept is based on scale down everything as Broccoli said. So the maps aren't bigger, just everything is smaller. Units in games means nothing, everything is relative. The only limit I guess is the physics engine, which is not able to work under 32x scale.

The 16x thing is a problem for mappers mainly, you need to make everything to looks beleivable on a smaller scale. 16x means a much bigger world so there is needed a different approach.

15. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

Cool new animations =) i cant wait

16. thaile

thaile Member

I wonder if anyone thought about this yet.

Since the map size increases by 16x won't it take 16x longer to walk to any place. Just imagine money it takes about a minute to run to the res nodes north and south from the inital barrack already, now it'll take 16mins?

I don't know if this is planed or not, but there should be a way to disable the scaling on certain maps along with aircrafts themselves.

Either that or a redesign of all the current maps

17. FalconX

FalconX Developer

I believe the current maps will be staying the same, and it will be up to the mapper to determine the scale used. The current maps are clearly designed for their size. A more reasonable image would be, say, 16 mvalleys x 16 mvalleys. :p

18. Hikuso

Hikuso Member

oooooh, and what's the limit in viewdistance for source?

i HATE all other "warsimulation" games such as bf/ofp (well, i do love ofp, but not flying in it) cause you can only see like 1km ahead of you, which blows :D

plus, most other games with airvehicles have way to small maps, feels like flying in a fishtank

19. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I believe that there is no hard-coded maximum view-distance, but it will have to be limited in order to get decent framerates.

The 16x scale is also primarily for aircraft maps, I think.

20. Caelo

Caelo Member

aircraft and vehicle maps, I think. They should place some vehicles at the start, but maybe not. We will see how this all turns out