New Tutorial Map

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Kidpaler, Jan 30, 2017.

1. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

VO is going to be relatively silent because the entire game is ridiculously loud. It could probably be amplified a little without becoming one huge crackle, but not as much as it should anyways - you'd have to adjust most of the game's audio instead.

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Can you add some sort of script file that executes on map load or round time start that uses the stopsound/music console command? I know you could add it to the class cfg files but that would affect the main game too. You just have to put a small delay on when the initial VO starts so it wouldn't get cut too.

I haven't tried the tutorial out yet so I dunno if it works but this is what came to mind.

3. Not Kidpaler

Not Kidpaler Member

Did you try it?

4. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

No, I was shouting at Hammer :P

5. Not Kidpaler

Not Kidpaler Member

6. Lazybum

I gave this a whirl. Only real complaint I had doing a normal newbie run was I seemed to be missing a few textures, but I assume it's cause I don't have any custom maps downloaded on here and you're using those. And obviously sound was too low on the VO, just riding around drowned it out. Didn't like the barriers popping up when you hit a button to here the tank explanation but I see why you did it, just at the same time if a new person sees it happen the first time they might not want to bother hitting any others. Oh, I also noticed for some longer ones, like the cv one, it will keep playing when you hit another button so the sounds kinds mix. Shouldn't the voice clip cut out if another is playing?

Honestly the last part where you take down the rax is pretty neat, and a nice training exercise. This is the first time I got to see the bots in action but they work well here, though I was disappointed that they didn't respawn. :( I was honestly kinda excited to use them to derust a bit.

Now there's a map that could be fun, something like minigames but instead it's training exercises(defend a building from tanks, hold out against grens in a tank, use that engy tool to fortify a flag and holdout for reinforcements.) Actually now that I typed that it's exactly like a single player campaign for something. Derp.

7. Not Kidpaler

Not Kidpaler Member

Hey quick reply, anyway, thanks for the feedback!

I'm trying to fix the VO issue but... it's hard. Also, regarding missing textures, PLEASE screenshot every place you see a missing texture and post it or send it to me directly. I'll track down what texture it is.

Also, regarding the last suggestion that will be a thing. I will take the current tutorial sandbox map and make it a giant bot experience with tons of NPC's and player bots for you to command around, though no vehicle bots. Also, I'd like to make some sort of "survival" map, maybe retrofit an old map where you have to survive and such. Not sure what maps would work best, let me know what you come up with because it would be a nice training exercise. I might repurpose trenchassault to be a bot survival since.. it kinda works for what I want. Either way, It'd not take long to repurpose, and it'd take only slightly more time, probably, to come up with a new map since it's pretty low work.

8. Lazybum

https://imgur.com/a/YOpWqBX

Here's those pics you wanted. The last two I noticed on those billboards that the texture isn't missing, but it pops in and out depending on how you view it which is a bit odd.

Also just realized I have no minimap.

9. Not Kidpaler

Not Kidpaler Member

Thank you for all this. I'll make sure those get included.

10. Not Kidpaler

Not Kidpaler Member

11. Lazybum

https://imgur.com/a/a3wOovz

Have some missing textures. The last pic is the grens firing at me while in comm view, which I know you can't do much about but I did think it was funny.

For feedback I noticed quite often the voice overs would start overlapping each other. It was real apparent when I was trying to build the ref near those silos, they would go to it to build it and kept having the one say you need to clear the space to drop buildings while the another was going on about dropping the radar I think. Or hopping outside of the cv whenever it was explaining something, would get the "hop back in the cv to continue" at the same time.

If you intend to have the player win by killing the comm with the bots you might want to hide an nf solider somewhere on the map, because nf wasn't respawning. So you could win just by killing all the bots. Bots kept getting stuck on the buildings (namely that middle silo area) when making the move through them, ended up making short move orders around the whole thing to get them to go north. Forgetting this was empires I tried hitting delete on the stuck bots to get them to suicide, ended up killing myself. This is another "I know you can't do much about it", but would be nice if we can kill off bots somehow. Otherwise the tutorial kinda gets stuck if the bots get stuck.

I had no complaints about the actual VO lines, I think they were pretty concise and timed pretty well to things. Only thing was the cv engine sound was drowning them out a bit when going somewhere.

Last thought is I kinda want this as a comm map for low pop games. It's actually decent enough to work I think.

Not Kidpaler likes this.
  12. Not Kidpaler

Not Kidpaler Member

Thank you for the feedback!

So first off, thanks for the missing texture feedback. I'll make sure it's included.

As for the VO's, it's... hard. I don't have much to call on and I need to ensure that if the player gets out they know to get back in. The bots also trigger the dialog if you drive too close, so thats no good. Maybe I could parent clips around the CV that p ushes bots away?...

I thought I did stick one in the CV, which is why you get the Gren bots to take him out, it mustve broke. I'll fix that right up.

As for making it a map, it's all ready to ship. Map is called emp_farm_rc2 but I don't want the res nodes edited since higher resource low pop is better for everyone, so it's sitting on the backburner for a bit. I'll also be turning the current tutorials sandbox map into a single lane low pop map for use as well. It's basically a single lane canyon.

MegaMLGgaming likes this.
  13. Not Kidpaler

Not Kidpaler Member

14. Not Kidpaler

Not Kidpaler Member

15. Lukyn150

Lukyn150 Member

If you die at the docks you get joined to game lobby

16. Not Kidpaler

Not Kidpaler Member

Really? It should just respawn you?

17. Lukyn150