Gaming laptops

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Lazybum, Aug 3, 2018.

?

Would you ever get a gaming laptop?

1. Yes, I'll play it everywhere.

18.2%
  2. Sure, I don't like lugging a huge tower for lan parties.

9.1%
  3. No, I only game in the depths of my personal dungeon.

63.6%
  4. My tablet/craptastic laptop plays games just fine, who needs this?

18.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Howdy all. I've find myself unable to use my desktop and my laptop is currently running like ass(mostly probably just needs windows reinstalled but that's a hassle) and the screen got water damaged somehow. So I'm thinking of just getting a gaming laptop.

I'd prefer something with a good resolution and colors, so something that's not an tn panel at least. This is honestly more important to me then a fancier gpu. Price wise less then 800$ would be great, but I'd go up to 1000$ if I had to. I'm fine with taking a gamble on used things.

I've seen a couple of those old 14 inch razers for 500$ which would be pretty cool, but the lack of space on them is kinda appalling. Though I do see some m.2 1TB drives for less then 200$. Those speak to me because of the nearly 4k display and they can be adjusted to have pretty good color. Being small and light with decent cpu+gpu is also bretty good.

I do have an external gpu adapter for this current laptop(x220t) and I've seen some threads about swapping in a 1080P panel to replace my currently damaged screen, but I'm not digging the idea of having to haul a second power supply along with having a huge gpu just sitting on the desk at the library. Still it's an option and with my budget I could just get a 1080 or something rather excessive for this laptop. I'd just prefer an all in one package.

So you got any better ideas? Or am I twit for wanting a gaming laptop?

2. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

I've started going to a lot of game jams recently and because of that I can't bring my tower with me.
    However, I don't feel the need for a super gaming laptop as what I usually create isn't that performance heavy.

On my last LAN, we played Dota 2 which works fine on low settings, sure it looks better on high, but since I only go to a lan like 1-2 times a year.. I can live with it, plus we usually just play the games that everyone at the lan can play, so dota2, aoe2, Warcraft 3, etc.. No need to play Doom singleplayer.

Bottom line is: Buy a decent laptop, but don't go overkill cuz you probably won't need it.

3. Ranger

Ranger Member

4. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Well this is about what I expected, but I do hear that nvidia is coming out with new gpus very soon. It helps explain why desktops are all on sale and why vendors are offering mad discounts on current laptops. So on that note I'll come back to this in like a month and see if either new stuff is worth the price tag or if current stuff will be on sale off ebay or wherever. Either case I'll end up saving a bit more money for something better, and in the meantime I guess I'll catch up on those 3ds games.