con_district402_i

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by D.D.D. Destroyer, Dec 11, 2017.

1. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Apparently someone played this which caught me quite off guard, here's a feedback thread.

This is district402, layout unchanged, with added music, reduced tickets, and a health drain overtime mechanic. That's it. It lasts 7-8 minutes unless people kill each other instead of dying to the bleed. The intention was to create a cooldown/final warmup map during high population times that doesn't turn into a 40+ minute slugfest. Does it work? Dunno. I think it does. You be the judge. Post feedback here, please.

Here's a download link for the archive.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cgsesl08yxjrfa1/con_district402_i.zip?dl=0

2. duke

duke Former Developer (BE Creator)

Is it even worth playing at ~10minutes?

3. D.D.D. Destroyer

If you're trying for any sort of bragging rights from victory or just beating an opponent, then the first mistake is looking for them on district, be it long, short, or just right.

10 minutes is already too long to act as a cooldown map and 5 is pushing it, I just made the map's length match the song's. At the same time, this is not a replacement of the official version, as that one also has its uses, primarily seeding.

Neoony likes this.
  4. complete_

complete_ lamer

havent played it yet but i think it'll work as a nice cooldown map, as you said

kinda makes me wish those old harryhoot maps were much shorter in length. probably would've been liked more.

w00kie and D.D.D. Destroyer like this.
  5. Ranger

Ranger Member

no hate but harryhoot's map are too ugly for some people to like. they needed more love

6. bunnyhopper

bunnyhopper Member

Plz just no..

7. -=[Combine Soldier #43]=-

-=[Combine Soldier #43]=- Member

I'm not sure about the health drain on this map, I think that it would be more interesting if the map kept closing in, forcing players to move closer to the enemy. I understand that health bleed is the easiest way to make this map short, but I think it would be cool if constant mortar/artillery fire kept players in the fight, and buildings would collapse, so that players can't hide in areas that are being bombarded, maybe even have a nuke drop in the end to forcefully end the map.

Neoony likes this.
  8. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

On district? There isn't many places to hide to begin with and I can't really think of a time where I had to look for the enemy. That said I like the arty bombarding thing for a map like eastborough because the whole map is in constant use so it could make the landscape more dynamic, although east is also kinda perfect to begin with so maybe a new map should have that thing going on.

9. -=[Combine Soldier #43]=-

Well, about the building collapsing, I meant that only the buildings in bombarded areas will collapse, and arty will not be bombarding the entire map, it will be advancing from each factions last flag area towards the middle. About finding enemies, I thought of this as an alternative to health bleed, which could probably be negated by ppl healing, which means sudden death has to be used, and just in general, I would feel uncomfortable constantly taking dmg not being able to avoid it.

10. -=[Combine Soldier #43]=-

Wouldn't mind if this concept was used in a different map, but since this is supposted to be a short version of district that forces players to kill each other quickly, I just thought of this idea.

11. D.D.D. Destroyer

While theoretically doable, getting destruction on this scale looking good in Source is a monumental, if not unachievable, task.

An alternative approach would be to do some sort of "death cloud" that steadily encroaches on the map, closing in on the middle. It's way simpler in comparison, and while it doesn't look as good and isn't as logical, it serves a similar purpose.

12. -=[Combine Soldier #43]=-

That death cloud could be a prototype bio weapon or something, that lasts a long while, but then, who would use that, knowing their troops will die too? We could just forget about lore logic, but i think it would be interesting if we introduced a third party, either within one of the 2 warring factions, or an entirely new one, operating in secret, on this map. Or maybe have it so the troops were betrayed or something. This concept could also probably be used in the new Empires game, maybe in SP, if it will have one, or still as an mp map.

13. Neoony

Neoony Member

Sounds like battle royale :D

Sounds much better than just Sudden death though.

Sudden death = Hide and Seek
    A simple circle like in the Battle Royale games could push people to get out and fight to survive.
    Although it does mean taking an idea from other games, but cant say I dislike that.
    Sudden death is really just making things worse in a map like district, IMO.

And I think just a health drain for no reason might make people just hurt the other ones and hide.

And it sounds like a bit of a better idea than just Health bleed for no reason. (But...didnt try it yet)

Gotta say I personally like that idea, even if no lore included in it....I mean its just a cooldown map after all.

14. D.D.D. Destroyer

Much like with ricochet, I'm not concerned with suspension of disbelief at all. I'm only worried about implementation problems and functionality.

15. -=[Combine Soldier #43]=-

Well, I personally enjoy sudden death on district, but I don't mind this version to work like this, and without lore. But I do want some lore for maps in empires, even if they are just cooldown maps, maybe ricochet is a VR training session or something:)