2.13.4 Released

Discussion in 'News' started by Thexa4, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Hot tip on mgs, you have to minus 1 on the damage value because the fall off effect is immediate. So for du the best case is 40 dps, min damage is 30 dps. I can't remember the falloff calculation but I feel like I've seen it somewhere on this forum at some point.

D.D.D. Destroyer likes this.
  2. Vdragon

Vdragon Member

-drive light tank-
    [​IMG]

MartinPL and PwnedYoAss like this.
  3. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i dont get where you are going with this? i have this feeling its aimed at me because your first reply was to me. if you read my previous posts i dont think new names will help newbies and for long-term players its a nuisance because we got used to the names just like in your nuke example.

@D.D.D. Destroyer i think i worded that "takes hours"-part badly. i mean its not like it takes hours to change them, so at least no dev time is wasted.

5. Vdragon

Vdragon Member

Knowing a average player is much more likely to hit with dpl than canon, that is still pretty scary.

The only redeeming thing is the need to reload with the MG, but we'd need to do the damage vs time curve and it's annoying.

6. flasche

not only the average player. its factually easier to hit with a weapon that has 0 travel time as you dont need to predict movement.

7. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I wish balancing is as easy as punching numbers into calculator.

Thanks for doing that for me, I don't know how you use a calculator.

8. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

I disagree with the notion that names for items in a game have no meaning. The irreverence you and Security seem to have is preposterous to me. If it's a duck, call it a duck. The Seismic grenade is quite literally a grenade in every way except for the fact that it does no damage to players. Renaming it to "Resonator" only makes it more confusing. There's not even a precedence for what a "Resonator" is in Empires, but we sure as hell have a naming precedence for a thrown, cylindrical looking object. I'd be okay with it if there were a class of items called "Resonators" that damaged buildings exclusively.

Unfortunately to properly fix the disconnect with the "Seismic grenade," you would need to redo the grenade entirely, which is not a priority.

9. Vdragon

Vdragon Member

If I didn't feel like there is a problem, I wouldn't be making sure you do ;)

10. flasche

and how is that not basically the same what i originally said?

what i meant with "it wont change anything" is that players will judge by looks and not by some names noone reads anyway.

11. Spike

Spike Long Live The King!

Found an issue where with the cannon shells collide NF light tank, BE afv and nf medium tank while moving. Also while using the cannon at max speed the nf light tank cannon shell slides across the ground then explodes behind you. I can provide a demo if you wish ?

12. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

So it sounds like we agree, except that you're cool with it being renamed, whereas I'm not... yeah if it's a grenade in every other way why not call it a grenade? Seems like a silly change for the sake of change.

13. flasche

no, im not cool with renaming things. my main issue with that is that it will create a disconnect between long-term players and those who joined after the change.
    much like with nukes. we all always said nukes, but the vehicle loadout clearly said HIT warhead at a point, thats just confusing. stick with what we got, there really is no need to rename things.

the only thing im cool with is that it doesnt take much dev time to change names (back i hope)

14. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

So it sounds like we're on the same page. Awesome. Yeah. Not sure if that disconnect is such a huge issue because we'll just keep calling it a grenade, more concerned with newer players and things not clicking because of strange naming.

15. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

As much as I like Deja Vu, the rest of the Initial D soundtrack overall a hell of a lot better. Here.

MartinPL likes this.
  16. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Your reaction sounds like we are renaming "Seismic Grenade" into "Engineer Potato".

The use of seismic grenade is not exactly the same as most other grenades in the game, to begin with.

17. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

There will be no disconnect, everyone calls the item seismics, which is why whatever the name is, it's required to have that word in the name.

In terms of reading things, people aren't divided into two groups of "those who read every little thing" and "those who read nothing at all", players fall all over the spectrum. Most of them closer to the not reading end. That is why it's important to have clear, concise information regardless of the size of the text we're dealing with. To that end, renaming the seismic item is supposed to serve that purpose. And as I mentioned already,

18. flasche

sure its not the same from the mechanics side. in every other respect it behaves exactly like all the other grenades.

19. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Hm, if you renamed it to Engineer Potato I'd actually be okay with that because that name is an empty vessel. The meaning will come with play. Now, Seismic Resonator has connotations.

Yep, pretty much the damned problem. Thing quacks like a duck, it walks like a duck, call it a duck. I mean, besides blowing up large buildings I still throw it like a grenade over walls to blow up turrets so I don't think it's different enough to not call a grenade.

20. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

That is fair, I mean everyone will continue to say "throw seismics." Oh yeah no I totally understand the change, and like I said I think it's insufficient and unnecessary and requires a more serious rework to be effective. I guess in the meantime we'll have... seismic resonators.

What if we had the seismic look like a motorized shake weight?