Potential HUD Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Art' started by Devourawr, Apr 20, 2017.

1. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Remember that jumping takes up 3/14ths of the stamina bar. This is something that should be very easily distinguishable on the HUD.

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Can't we change that so it's 3/15ths, or just 5 jumps for a full bar? Then you could just do 5 blocks like in devo's thing. I mean that's the only useful metric on stamina, how much need to jump without running out.

Neoony likes this.
  3. D.D.D. Destroyer

I'm sure it can be changed. My point is, the amount of stamina consumed by a jump should be clearly indicated on the HUD.

4. complete_

complete_ lamer

hey calculating a turret takes 35 charge maybe we should distinguish that.
    we dont need 14 fucking lines on the stamina bar. it has nothing to do with making the game easier. its something you learn quite quick

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

The distinguishment of this (inaccurate. It's 38 charge, assuming repair upgrade) fact is already present. Your calculator has exactly 62 units of charge left in it after building the turret, and that is displayed both on the build tool itself and on the HUD.

When you are low on stamina or regenerating from depleting it but still find yourself in need of some jumping, you want to know when exactly you can jump again without getting hit with the slowdown. Learning that a jump takes exactly three blocks of your stamina bar actually comes quite quickly, way way quicker than working out which pixel a uniform bar needs to exceed not to get hit with the recharge timer.

Stamina management is an important part of playing infantry. It's not just about moving from A to B a little bit faster or jumping up a set of obstacles. Using it properly often requires giving proper consideration to its steady regeneration and the demands of the terrain you are going to traverse.

To give you a MOBA comparison, getting rid of that distinction is akin to removing the numerical value from your mana bar. Hey, a relative percentage is clearly good enough, right?

6. complete_

complete_ lamer

we should divide the turret health bar into 3 because it takes 3 seismics to destroy one

e: its important moba stuff

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

2 seismics and some amount of charge. The third one overkills it already. You see the amount of grenades you have on the HUD which lets you see how many you've thrown. From the repairing person's perspective, any value on the health bar below 100% is unideal, so they will want to repair it.* In the case of the stamina bar, the only values that don't work are below the three bars, as jumping at that point will stop your stamina regeneration and slow you down for a duration.

*A numerical representation that is more easily accessible than by targeting the damaged building would be nice though.

8. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Jumping is one of the only two ways for you to use your stamina, and it is the only way that drains your stamina "discretely".

There's like 150 ways to damage a turret discretely.

So, it makes sense to display your stamina according to the number of jumps you can make, but it makes like no sense to display turret HP(or any other building HP) according to the number of hits it can take, especially from a certain weapon.

The overkill part is actually pretty little, I know for sure I can just repair the turret by like 5 units to save it from third seismic.

But yes, if it's not precisely 3 nades, it makes no sense to display health bar that way.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  9. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

"Being listened to" is a privilege, NOT rights.

D.D.D. Destroyer likes this.
  10. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Uuuh this is not some society in wherr ever disneyland. If you dont want my oppinion dont read it.

Im always brutally honest on everything on this for saken forums.

If you wanna talk like you are drafting up a new constitution I think your best bet is to pm mrdie.

11. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

I can do absolute minimalism. Nothing more than numbers, if you guys want. I'll even start making super minimalistic concepts up now - it seems from reading responses, and the general lack of ideas coming couples with the criticism, means what I'll do is just make like 20 alternatives of everything, see what gets hated the least from each concept, and combine them into something that most people are pretty happy with. Here's a rounded one I'm working on - ignore the shitty bars, I just wanted to display where they would be. It's also smaller than that, I just enlarged it so you guys can see it better
    Infantry HUD mockup straight forums-Recovered.png

12. D.D.D. Destroyer

Would it be viable to swap class letters for symbols of some kind? I think they'd look sexier than parts of the alphabet.

Also please show life-size shots, that's what we'll be looking at the entire time we're playing the game, getting a feel for that ASAP is critical.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  13. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I'd do a couple mock ups of each individual module, then combine them all later on.

14. complete_

complete_ lamer

thank you for your overally specific insight and corrections guys its obviously the most logical™ to make a bar have 13 lines in it because it takes 3 of those to jump. totally doesnt look really stupid. i look forward to the nf rifle getting its damage reduced by 1 so its perfectly balanced.

dev:
    no mentions of translucency, is it going to be?
    you also made the health number (shudder) circular when the rest of your hud is straight lines

15. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I feel like it would be hard to adequately describe a class with a tiny symbol. I do like little symbols over letters because it helps language barriers and can make things easier to guess at what it is, but letters just feel like they work for class name on squad thing.

I like the left health block over the right health block, even though the second one probably feels more familiar to empires players, traditional that's the word. I do kinda want to know what the little half circle bars are for though, now that I think about it that reminds of resident evil or kingdom hearts. I guess in that design you wouldn't have actual bars extend out and instead those little half circles are the hp bar? That works too if that's the case, I'd just make them a bit bigger so it's easier to see at a glance and segment the stamina one to 5 blocks/5 jumps.

I think that's my main thing with whatever you do with stamina, either segment it out for each jump or kinda put a line at the 3/15th mark to show you'll run out of stamina if you go below this. If you could just make it turn red or yellow when low stamina that kinda works too, and possible easier to notice at a glance. Which makes me want to ask, with the javascript it's possible to change colors of things based on what's going on right? That would be handy in all sorts of places.

Also also, this reminded me of this thread where someone was designing a new gui just a couple of years ago. It wasn't bad, just a higher def slightly modernized version of what we already got but it was met with mostly positive remarks. Sadly all the images are gone.:( Still, it's a nice read through on what poeple think is important when making the new gui.

16. D.D.D. Destroyer

14* bars*.

The amount of stamina required to jump can also be adjusted, but the point remains - there should be a clear indication of how much stamina a jump willl consume.

17. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Just so I can end the arguments - we can remake the bar based around jumps. Personally I would prefer 4 bars, one per jump, but maybe some people think jumping is already 'weak' and it should be 5.
    I agree with DDD in that it should be clear how much stamina a jump will consume - I also agree that 3/14ths is a stupid amount.
    Yes. As in, the squad bars will absolutely be translucent. I predict it will be about 10-20% translucent, which is a lot more than the number implies. As for the health/stamina/camera shit, potentially, but only by between 1-5% max, and that will come down to the final design we decide to go with.
    If It came out to be a circle (not going to happen) of course the ammo bar and turret stuff would be remade to match. I feel like putting concepts into that picture is starting to become unhelpful because everyone is focusing on the fact that contrasting designs, surprise surprise, contrast - future ones will just be by themselves.

I thought about this. The answer is absolutely yes, but honestly beyond a wrench for an engineer, everyone would argue about what icon each class should have. And even then, we'd still get people saying "but engineers don't use wrenches". If anyone can suggest 4 icons that can fit into 16x16px and clearly represent the classes, I'm happy to make them and implement it. I would generally like to move towards symbols instead of letters/words like "Res/Comm/Etc anyway.

18. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

4 Icons for classes -
    Calc/Wrench - Engineer
    A rifle/bullet - Rifleman
    Explosion - Grenadier
    Binoculars - Scout

19. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Everything but the grenadier could be done - explosions can't be done at such low resolutions, it would just come out looking like a star

20. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I see. How about A mortar/rocket?

Edit: Bullet is at an angle, rocket is flying horizontal to distinguish between the two.

Edit 2: Perhaps, if they are in a tank, can the icon change to a tank? It's very frustrating when you are a squad leader and telling your squad mates to kill themselves (For a kill spawn, not because they suck), and they are in a tank and not wanting to lose it. It could help with organization a lot. That way, if I need to do killspawns, I can just kick the people who have the tank Icon and bring in people who are just infantry.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017