Potential HUD Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Art' started by Devourawr, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

I feel like we finally need an icon for Res that isn't some holla holla get dolla $$$ thing.

But actually, that's a really good suggestion - making it the research icon. It DOES fit way better and saves us space where it currently says "Researching:xxxxxxx" (does it say that? In my head it does). If it saves space then it's perfect for a research icon, because I plan to make a commander one sowe can also save space on "Comm.:"

You know what I'd really like? A little turret icon, with a circle around it for it's health. Circle spins down as health decreases. Small, simple effective, everyone understands what it means - I'll ask Max if it's possible with Javascript, but I won't promise anything.

Because Source renders in 640x480, so I either make an example HUD and then the same real HUD, or I make one hud and you can use it as the example. Is it the design you don't like? I'm open to input there too.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  2. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

I played it with you?
    I might have edited the detail.vbsp, and kept it. lol :)
    Original image: dz1.jpg

3. Ranger

Ranger Member

If there was a way to move the cursor over the icons, it could tell you what the icon stands for.

But we could add a tutorial button that when you press, it brings up windows telling you what each thing is.

[​IMG]

@LordDz_2 The minimap of Forestattack looks like a map from Total Annihilation lel.

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

you could use a yellow ₵ for resources.

5. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

There needs to be some way to easily distinguish between Wages and Resources. Perhaps 2 icons?

Also @Ranger , when I made that minimap... tried doing water. Didn't work, so I just colored it and added red lines for the "Out of Bounds" area that kills you.

6. Ranger

Ranger Member

Oh. You drew the river? Looks good. Couldn't tell it was drawn.

Back on topic.

7. MartinPL

MartinPL Member

It is very nice to see incoming new HUD.
    I have 1400x900 native resolution and thats how my screen normally looks like (no engy buildings nor squads)
    [​IMG]

What old HUD have:
    + Don't eat precious vision space,
    + It is minimalistic info (even with engy constructions and squads),
    What old HUD annoys me with:
    - No red font when low on ammo in mag (i really would love that),
    - Done by just swinging Axe,
    - Upper bars with info could be little bigger.

What new HUD have:
    + Looks way better, more detailed,
    + First version(upper one) have 1 upper bar, less space eating than just multiple bars setup like old one,
    + Can be always improved,
    What new HUD don't have or need fixing from my perspective:
    - Everything is too big, but that mostly depends on scaling to ratio and resolutions, it is more like 0 than a -, gonna wait for example for my screen ratio.
    - I not need fancy bullet count, i prefer small numbers + red indicator of low mag,
    - It would need more transparency to be more fancy from my pov.

Waiting for NF version and future changes :)

8. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Okay, so general feedback is the less the better. I like that - means less work. Sometimes when designing UI stuff it's easy to forget that people actually know how to play the game and easily figure out what things do. Really, there's no need to have things big for new players if it just gets in the way for everyone who isn't playing their first round. So thanks guys.
    Here things are shrunk - anyone got any health bar ideas?
    Infantry HUD mockup straight background2.png

9. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

There is no indication which is stamina and which is health. Do a health icon near the health bar and I'd say some indication to say that is Stamina. If you are just going to have numbers, you can cut off that extra space or maybe put the turret health there as well. No point making it more cluttered when it could be condensed.

Edit: Do we even really need the squad menu to be up there? It doesn't REALLY relay that much information besides what class everyone is. Perhaps that could be freed up more to make the HUD seem a tad less confusing?

10. complete_

complete_ lamer

new picture looks much better, at least to me it does

i'd rather not have a number, at least not for stamina. dont divide the stamina into segments like it is currently since no one really cares unless its almost empty

like what was said above, stamina needs to be at least smaller than the health bar

11. flasche

yeah right now that you say. squad window thingy needs health of squadmates, thats the only thing its useful for (but its super useful for engi squadleaders so dont you dare remove it)

12. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

There will be bars for health and stamina, I just changed it to get people talking. Of course it's not going to look like that and have a massive unused chunk of space there though.

I wouldn't really like a number for stamina either, but people generally seem to support a number for health, and people supporting anything in Empires is rare. If there's a way to make it fit in and look good, I'll see if we can have just a number for health and not stamina

EDIT: I think I have an idea

Yeah, it really does need the health of your teammates, and it needs to be very, very precise too. I think we might have to stick to a number here.

13. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Could potentially go this direction - with background and without background shown for comparison.

With background - looks clean, but takes space
    Without - looks clean now, but probably shit on many surfaces. Slightly clashes with design. I guarantee you it won't look that nice in game, especially when we ask the question of what happens when health drops.

obviously colours, fonts, sizes etc can all be changed at the drop of the hat and are just for display

comparison
    [​IMG]

14. flasche

no - colors look ugly as fuck

make a thick bar and a thin one below. i see stamina is already a tad thinner, more (or rather less lol).
    use a plus sign for health, and flash for stamina if it really needs indication.
    (and if it really needs colors use white for health and pale yellow for stamina, in any case dont use 3 "primary" colors)

and leave less space around and inbetween, there really is no excuse to have wasted space just to see some fancy looking background image.
    enough to be readable, but not more than absolutely necessary. i think youve hit it quite nice for squad names now - tho the font is a tad big for my taste.

edit:
    also for squad names. have you considered really long names? idk whats the max names can be, but i imagine fe. senor_awesome already reaches the fadeout to the right and his sure isnt the longest name.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  15. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I like the more transparent one in bottom left for sure, more of a sleek feel.

As for the colors, I don't think they work. I'd go for one solid color if you can and make the stamina bar smaller and seem to fit underneath the health bar to indicate loss of health.

Also, if you have a health bar, why do you need a number?

16. Ranger

Ranger Member

I really think stamina should be invisible when it's not regenerating or being used. Anyone else?

17. Awpolt

Awpolt Member

There's a lot of potential up for grabs now that we have JS support.

18. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

I'll be posting the .psd files in the OP from now on so if you guys want to help, draw ideas or make good little changes you can do that. If you need the specific source files for things such as textures or patterns, let me know

19. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Personally I am a fan of a central hud because it doesn't force me to dart my eyes to section of the screen to see what I want to know, I just keep looking forward and know.

Neoony likes this.
  20. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

I wish we could - the problem is a) the engine would make it nigh-impossible b)fuckton of code time that doesn't exist and c) Empires has a fuuuuckton of information to display. So it would be a circle HUD for the basics and then a regular hud for the other 1000 things to show