The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Paradox, Jan 27, 2017.

1. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

you dont live here so you only get your info online

2. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

To be fair, and don't say I am "BLAMING" anyone because I'm not, it is harder for American's to learn another language. Why? Because if we go over to another country, usually the locals in foreign countries know English and take that as an opportunity to practice their English rather than let the American try to speak to them in what would be an attempt to speak their language. On top of this, if a foreigner sees an American struggling to speak their language, they just default to speaking English. You can only learn so much from books and courses, you have to be immersed in it to fully learn it.

Not saying this is ALL cases, of course some people just default to speaking English and say "YOU SPEAK MURICAN?" but this is one of the reasons its harder for American's to speak foreign language.

3. complete_

complete_ lamer

"every source is biased except the 4 i read where they tell me i must eradicate refugees"

"oops a 4channer and thedonald poster ironically yelled allah akbar and killed muslims. better:
    a) pretend like i care and give bs sympathies
    b)
    [​IMG]

4. complete_

complete_ lamer

everything you post comes from the internet???????
    DO WE NOT GET INTERNET AND TV HERE? AM I LIVING A LIE?

guys so weird i thought i could access brietbart.com and watch KTLA and FOX44 and tons of other american stations here in canada but i guess not

oh maybe vicki is talking about when she goes out to new york city and see refugees and muslims beheading everyone. i guess you're right about that. i dont witness these nyc mass muslim rapes

flasche likes this.
  5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

so do you, dont be hypocritical. you cant be everwhere at all times, as everyone you have your trusted news sources (trusted by you). you also only listen to trumps rambles on tv, you have not spoken with him in person.

sure i dont pay my taxes in the states, so i dont know the details on how to, but if i wanted to know itd be easily researchable i guess. yet for figuring out that "we have the highest tax rate anywhere in the world." is a blatant lie alternative facts was a quite easy thing to do.

6. complete_

complete_ lamer

this is an excuse i myself use but come on, its not very hard to just continue speaking the same language
    i live in a province that has a second language. if you want to learn the language, just reply in the same language when they switch to english.

7. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

this thread is not about canada or the USA stick to the topic

Austrian border barriers are migration management facilities constructed by Austria between November 2015 and January 2016 on its border with Slovena and in 2016 on its border with Italy, as a response to European Immigration Crisis.

The barrier on the Slovenian border is several kilometers long, and includes police facilities for screening and processing migrants. Another migration management facility with barriers located on Austria's Italian border near Brenner South Tyrol was constructed in 2016.
    so the barriers were already built.

8. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I agree, but again, if it helps the conversation flow easier everyone will default to the easier language. Everyone in Europe is taught English, so the can all use English on each other no matter the barrier be French, German etc.

However, if an American wants to learn German, they don't have anyone nearby to communicate with and learn German from. They have to go TO Germany and try to speak it, but they usually will be much slower at forming sentences than they would be in English, so they default to the form of communication that is easiest. The free flow of people between European countries facilitates you learning English and other languages easier. Here in the states, we don't have the luxury of hopping on a train and traveling 30 minutes to a new country that speaks a foreign language for me to practice.

9. flasche

@vipervicki thats what i said isnt it?

@Kidpaler while its not completley untrue what you say, if you come here to stay people happily teach you german. yes many will default to english since most of us speak it, but its mainly a matter of saying "können wir deutsch sprechen?"

10. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

In a rare show of regret, Angela Merkel admits she lost control of Germany’s refugee crisis

In a 20-minute press conference yesterday (Sept. 19), the chastened chancellor said her government made mistakes in its refugee policy over the past 18 months. More than a million migrants came to Germany last year, five times more than the year before, boosted by the country’s open-door policy for refugees from Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, and other war-torn countries

11. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Eh, our tax code is beyond confusing and overly complicated. Also, we DO have the highest corporate tax rate in the world, not the highest tax rate though.

I have to ask, why was this thread made?...

12. complete_

complete_ lamer

guys i lost the argument so im changing the topic back
    i refuse to admit that i live in a bubble and had no idea canadians can watch the same exact Fox News station that I watch all day

13. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Oh, I know. However, this is just a general thing. Everyone in Europe speaks English no matter what country they come from so they can try it on everyone around them. However, for Americans, not everyone learns German, Spanish, or French so it's very difficult to converse with someone who is actually fluent in it.

Again, this is isn't true all the time and I know Europeans are quite friendly, but when American's are taken out of the US and plopped in a foreign country it is also intimidating and it makes them feel more at home to be able to speak their native tongue. It's the combination of a lot of things because it also depends from which region you come from in the US because some are friendlier than others and more open to conversing with people. IE midwestern people are super friendly towards most everyone and New Yorkers try to get a conversation over with as soon as they can.

14. flasche

@vipervicki yes she admited she made mistakes. the mistakes she admited was to leave the outside border countries alone with the refugees and opposed a distribution system. pretty much what i said in my 2nd post. she still stands with the decision to temporarily suspend dublin 2 to prevent a humanitarian crisis.

15. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

why suspend dublin? Im asking to learn not to challenge.

16. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

When the USA is an English country, and the vast majority of Europe speaks English, it is far easier for us to have an understand on what's going on in the USA than what you would otherwise have on individual European countries.

The USA is one country which European media keeps up with a lot, whereas US media is substantially more inward looking, and doesn't really give a shit what goes on elsewhere.

The USA is one country to keep up with, whereas Europe is like 30+ or whatever.

Lastly, the USA is fucking huge, so the idea that one person living in one city in one state has any more idea what's going on over there than someone who lives abroad is actually not true. We receive not only just as much news as you, but more than likely far more objective because there's less need for it to be biased, because there's nothing to gain from the news outlets pushing an agenda to non-Americans, because we can't vote anyway.

And double-lastly, and I've actually spoken to you before about this Vicki, whether you like it or not, the USA is the leader of the west. That is to say, what happens in your country has probably just as much, if not more impact on us than our own governments to some extent. The USA is the major playmaker in the UN, Nato, G8, etc. That is to say, whatever you guys do, we usually have to follow suit whether we like it or not. So we are more than within our rights to have an opinion on US politics, because it still greatly affects us.

With regard to the open-border stuff and whatnot, what applies to Europe here does not necessarily make sense in the US though. No-one really goes through airports without being vetted anyway, and your borders are only with Canada or Mexico. That is to say, all legal ways into your country are vetted anyway, so there's no logical reason to prevent people from coming in. In Europe it's different. There would be no physical way to close the borders anyway. The countries are small with various terrain throughout. If someone really wanted to, they can always find a way in. Meanwhile, our lives are much easier with the way it works now. Sure there's been some issues with the way refugees have been taken in, and I don't support it entirely. But it was the morally right thing to do, despite some of the negative outcomes. The issues we've had have been due to the way it was handled by bungling politicians, as well as various bureaucratic problems. You would have thought that Germany would have learnt that piling thousands of people into a small area together doesn't end well, but apparently not. What I mean is, it was the execution, not the idea that's the problem. The open borders have very little to do with this.

And as was stated earlier, though there has been a rise in crime linked to the refugees, our reporting criteria are very different to the USA's. Suffice to say, even with the refugees and our far stricter reporting criteria, our crime rates are still a fraction of what occurs in the USA. The murder rates across your country as a whole, let alone in specific areas like Chicago, are fucking terrifying.

Terrorist attacks in Paris, Belgium and whatnot are obviously unfortunate, but even if we had closed borders, short of every country erecting walls covering 100% of their border and manning it the entire length, it simply isn't possible to prevent that. Even if Mr Trump builds your wall, people will still find a way in, be it from the sea or just going under/over it. So changing to closed borders would do nothing more than inconvenience those who have nothing to hide, rather than stopping any terrorists, who would find a way around them anyway.

17. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

the illegal immigration coming through our southern borders (mexico) is out of hand and people living in Europe thinking just because they read stuff online makes them experts about whats really being said here and going on here is pie in the sky.

the world is going ape shit over a temp pause which anyone with a brain would understand when a new executive takes over he needs to re access things and see what can be improved plus it was one of his campaign promsies to the american people and one big reason he got elected . No one comes into office and just keeps the old administration crap especially when they are of opposite political values

18. flasche

dublin 2 regulated how asylum was handled in the eu. one of the problematic parts was that asylum has to be granted in the country the person first entered the eu. which means - aside of coming via plane - there is virtually no way to apply for asylum in a lot of european countries and the whole burdon lies on the outside borders. there was also very little to no monetarian compensation for their expenses.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  19. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

As a Swede, I would love if people could stop taking our fucking statistics about rape all time.

They've increased, because people report more and it includes more things than rape by unknown person.
    India has very little statistic about rape, does that mean that they don't do rape?

flasche likes this.
  20. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

@flasche I see thanks for the explanation.