Suggestion: Use Score as Score instead of just kills

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by NekoBaron, Jan 20, 2017.

?

Is this a good idea?

Poll closed Feb 19, 2017.
  1. Yes it would give more info when server browsing

88.9%
  2. No its dumb/pointless/gay and this is why (add a reply)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I dont check or ever care

11.1%
  1. NekoBaron

NekoBaron Member

By which I mean use the kills value as players scores, so when you look at the server info you can see peoples scores instead of kills only, this would give a much better impression that people are playing instead of wondering if all the 0 score players are all afking or they just haven't got a kill yet.

Neoony likes this.
  2. Neoony

Neoony Member

Yep.
    Nothing against that.

Now I just wonder how hard would be to change that in the ingame server browser.

I guess you couldnt do that in steam server browser.

...well, unless you would somehow make Empires send the other info to the server browser...
    ...But Iam assuming, its the server browser requesting a specific stat from the game..

I often judge by that info in the server browser, how many players on the server are actually playing.
    As there isnt any other info useful for that.

3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I feel like I saw this in some other source game but I can't think of it. It does sound like a good idea though.

Though just kills kinda works, it tells if people are in spec or not. At least, most people get a kill after a few minutes of playing.

4. NekoBaron

NekoBaron Member

I know in gmod you literally just override the kills score of a player to whatever value you want and that will be shown in the score column, so I imagine you could code the score to just over-ride the kills value with itself instead to have it displayed in the browser.

Personally I would remove the kills counter and just have the score, players might be less focused on kills then, only issue I could see would be it interfering with skill unlock possibly. I would just keep the current score value separate and over-ride the kills value.

5. Neoony

Neoony Member

Well...
    Remove the kills and you wont be able to tell who only killed people and who also gained score in other ways.

Think thats quite important info and I wouldnt trade it for some effect of reducing peoples interest for kills.

And anyway...as far as I know 1 kill = +1 score or not?
    So score already shows both things.
    ...unless I just misunderstood you.

6. NekoBaron

NekoBaron Member

well removing the kills was just a personal thing, I do feel people tend to gravitate around it too much when the game isn't all just about kills. But I do believe if the score instead of kills was displayed in server info people would get a much better look and know games are much more under way.

Neoony likes this.
  7. Neoony

Neoony Member

Just BTW to the removing kills..
    With things like those, think we should rather give more options to fit peoples different personalities, instead of constantly trying to force them do to this more or that less...

Just a thought xD

8. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I was under the impression that it's using score. If it's using kills only, that should be changed.

9. NekoBaron

NekoBaron Member

its super noticeable if you look at the server browser game info option a lot like I tend to, other wise your not likely to ever notice. Which is why I usually think most people are afk because they have 0 points for 10 mins but in reality they just have 0 kills.

D.D.D. Destroyer likes this.
  10. complete_

complete_ lamer

i always thought it was a bit buggy and a couple minutes behind