New Infantry Sounds Test

Discussion in 'Testing Discussion' started by Donald Trump, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Hello all,

In my spare time, I worked on redoing some sounds for Empires since all guns sound like peashooters. So, now each gun sounds like an actual gun, and each one is unique and hopefully will be easily distinguishable on the battlefield. I have had a couple people test it as is, but I'd like to make a "public" test to get feedback on how everything sounds and what errors there may be.

Currently what is done:
    New Death sounds
    Redone NF weapon sounds
    Redone BE weapon sounds
    New Missile Locked on Sound (For being targeted)
    New Grenade Explosion sounds (Excluding sticky)
    Redone ambient sounds for buildings
    New Cannon Sounds (Impact and Shooting) for std Cannon.
    New Mortar explosion sound
    New sound for buildings blowing up
    New Engine sound (AFV/APC only at this time)
    New Impact sounds (Metal, Concrete, Wood, Flesh)

What is going to be done next:
    Redone explosions for Vehicle weapons
    Redone sound for cannons being fired, each will be unique
    Redone sound for vehicles dying
    Redone sound for bullets hitting materials
    Redone engine sounds (Hopefully to be unique to the engine)
    Redone voice overs for in-game commands and commander screen

What will be done next will be slow going, but hopefully I will get it done before Christmas.

Issues:
    Engine sounds can be funky at times. Will look into fixing it.
    Barracks sound is loud

If you are testing, please let me know. Report any errors you find with sounds or report any sounds you do not like and would like changed again. I ask for honest feedback and for this thread to stay on topic regarding sounds. Occasionally, if you do play with the new sounds, if you could open console while playing and see if there are any errors it really helps me figure out what is wrong with specific sounds. Copy paste any errors you may get into this thread.

Installation:
    Make a backup of all current sounds, simply navigate to your steam folder location to where it is installed go to Steamapps/Common/Empires/empires/sound and rename it to soundBackup and drag it to your desktop. Then, unzip the sound folder you downloaded, rename it to "sound" and place it into the place where you took your old sound folder out of. This will ensure you have a backup should something be catastrophically broken.

Download

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

could you please zip/rar/7z/tar that download together?

this is where your link goes to, and thats not very handy.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  3. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Apologies, I thought I linked it to a zip I uploaded. I'll change it as soon as I can, not near a computer at the moment. I do apologize.

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

chill, no harm done :D

5. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Nfar and behr sound like pea shooters? What?

I never really thought sounds were that bad honestly, nfhr sounded a tad weak considering it's damage I guess and the bear sounded more like a smg but otherwise most of the sounds sound alright to me.

6. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Updated.

And I think you will like the new sounds better. So far, I believe everyone who has tried it out likes it more.

7. LT.

LT. Member

Trump,

I've reviewed everything again in full after you left the game and detailed all comments below. Very impressed with the update, but still some work to be done. I've refined some of the points I mentioned in game to you. Let me know if others agree and whether you can implement the suggested updates. Keep up the good work!

NF
    9mm - New Sound - Perfect - Do Not Update Further
    Shot Pistol - New Sound - Update Required - Maybe more bass, the sound doesn't convey the damage it inflicts
    CQB SMG - New Sound - Perfect - Do Not Update Further
    Ranged SMG - New Sound - Perfect - Do Not Update Further
    Heavy Carbine - Original Sound - Update Required - Update not been developed
    Sniper - New Sound - Update Required - Reduce volume by 20% increase bass by 10%
    .50 Cal Rifle - New Sound - Perfect - Do Not Update Further
    LMG - New Sound - Perfect - Do Not Update Further
    AR - New Sound - Perfect - Do Not Update Further
    Shotgun - New Sound - Update Required - After firing a double ring sound is heard followed by shells hitting ground - Remove double ringing sound
    Concussion Grenade - New Sound - Update Required - When you release the pin and throw 2 sounds occur, first the sound of a turret / camera being recycled by an engineer when the grenade detonates then a great bloom effect. You need to update the first sound / remove it. The second bloom of the ringing is perfect.
    HE Grenade - New Sound - Perfect - Do Not Update Further
    Sticky Stun - Original Sound - Update Required - Update not been developed
    Sticky Bomb - New Sound - Perfect - Do Not Update Further
    Seismic Grenade - New Sound - Perfect - Do Not Update Further
    Static Shot RPG - New Sound - Update Required - Firing sounds like real fly by wire AT missile but requires an increase in bass also add in alternative for repetitive firing
    Guided Shot RPG - Original Sound + New Sound - Update Required - Remove original sound
    Mortar - New Sound - Update Required - Nice sound, but it sounds more like a static mortar being fired from a vehicle instead of a portable pipe and plate. Change completely / reduce bass especially on the sound where the shell slides into the tube. It conveys a shell that is much larger than what is fired in game
    Reload - New Sound - Perfect - Do Not Update Further
    Cocking / Pulling Action - New Sound - Perfect - Do Not Update Further
    Mine Detonation - Original Sound - Update Required - Update not been developed
    Calculator / Repairing - New Sound - Update Required - Increase the treble on the tone of the calculator, it sounds like a wire is being dragged along a fence

Ambient
    Barracks Gunfire - Reduce volume by 20-30% to mimic gunfire in distance and not directly outside of the barracks. You do not want the team to think they are under attack when they are creating a ninja barracks and reveal their position with someone going out guns blazing.
    Barracks - Sirens - Balance the 2 sounds of radio chatter and the sirens. Either reduce the volume of the sirens by 30-50% as it will become very annoying over time in long games, especially when planning ninja attacks or increase the cycle from 30secs to 60secs with a reduction of volume by 15%. Again, you don't want the team to be trying to scream over each other in the outer vicinity of the barracks.
    Barracks Chatter / Crackling - New Sound - Update required - Reduce volume of crackling on radio by 15%
    Radar - Great sound, maybe reduce the modem noise by 20%
    VF - New Sound - Perfect - Do Not Update Further
    Stamina - New Sound - Update Required - Reduce volume by 20-30%
    Death Sounds - New Sound - Update Required - Reduce volume by 20-30% - Really good, but too loud, even from a distance. It can jeopardise revivals due to the perception of proximity. Increase from 3 to 7 sounds

BE
    9mm - New Sound - Perfect - Do Not Update Further
    .44 - New Sound - Update Required - Does not convey the damage it inflicts. Requires less suppression and more bass. Remember 2 shots and you are dead. Currently sounds like a heavily suppressed .308
    Static Shot RPG - New Sound - Update Required - Firing sounds like real fly by wire AT missile but requires an increase in bass also add in alternative for repetitive firing
    Guided Shot RPG - Original Sound + New Sound - Update Required - Remove original sound
    Mortar - New Sound - Update Required - Nice sound, but it sounds more like a static mortar being fired from a vehicle instead of a portable pipe and plate. Change completely / reduce bass especially on the sound where the shell slides into the tube. It conveys a shell that is much larger than what is fired in game
    Mine Detonation - Original Sound - Update Required - Update not been developed
    Calculator / Repairing - New Sound - Update Required - Increase the treble on the tone of the calculator, it sounds like a wire is being dragged along a fence
    Reload - New Sound - Perfect - Do Not Update Further
    Cocking / Pulling Action - New Sound - Perfect - Do Not Update Further
    Seismic Grenade - New Sound - Perfect - Do Not Update Further
    Ranged SMG - New Sound - Update Required - Add 20% more bass, it sounds too much like a jackhammer
    Machine Pistol - New Sound - Perfect - Do Not Update Further
    CQB SMG - New Sound - Perfect - Do Not Update Further
    Shotgun - New Sound - Update Required - After firing a double ring sound is heard followed by shells hitting ground - Remove double ringing sound
    HR - New Sound - Update Required - Does not convey the damage it inflicts. Full Auto sounds like windows crashed on the sound playing. Pull sound from BE AR. It sounds more appropriate
    AR - New Sound Update Required - Use this sound for HR, BE AR needs to be more aligned / similar to NF AR sound
    LMG - New Sound - Update Required - Sounds like a chain gun, require more bass to convey the power and damage it inflicts when shot from prone
    Sniper - New Sound - Update Required - Add a little more bass, maybe 15%. Although it's not a 1 shot 1 kill rifle, it sounds less powerful than the 9mm. Needs to convey more damage
    HE Grenade - New Sound - Perfect - Do Not Update Further
    Sticky Bomb - New Sound - Perfect - Do Not Update Further
    Sticky Stun - Original Sound - Update Required - Update not been developed

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  8. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Update with some fixes to sounds and some suggestions. Added in Heavy Carbine 3 as well.
    Looking in to add ambient music that plays while game is going on.

Can't find the "Recycle" sound for engineer turrets, also having trouble locating the Missile flyby sound.

Additionally: BE and NF shotgun share same sound file, I can't fix that. This goes with the RPG (Both guided and unguided) and mortar.

Link updated with new sounds.

9. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Changelog for today:

New Cannon sounds for both firing and impact
    New Mortar sounds
    New Missile impact sounds
    New Building Explosion sounds
    (All of the above come from the same folder... no unique sounds can be implemented for them)
    New Nuke sound (Untested)

Fixed APC/AFV Idle sounds being too loud
    Fixed the annoying "screech" when bullets hit concrete
    Fixed some of the grunting when bullets impact flesh
    Fixed the Barracks Ambient sound being way too loud, now it is only slightly loud
    Fixed the MG's being loud, now may be a tad soft

Older Changelog I forgot to post:
    New wood impact sounds
    New metal impact sounds
    New MG sounds
    New Engine sounds for APC/AFV/Com vehicles
    New Flesh Impact sounds

10. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

New Update Changelog:

New Railgun Fire and Impact sound,
    More variation to death sounds
    New Nuke sound
    New HE Artillery firing and Impact sounds
    New Tank Explosion sounds
    New Plasma MG Sound

Fixed:
    Engine Sounds
    Barracks Ambient is quieter again
    Added a tad more treble to the Calculator welding sound
    Fixed 2 Slot- Chain gun sound

11. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

New Changelog:

New Tank Engine Sounds (Slightly Glitchy, though much better than AFV first attempt)
    New BioMG sound effect
    New Music

Fixed:
    Screech on wood impact
    Engine sounds slightly tweaked
    Barracks reduced once again
    Fixed a chain gun issue
    Fixed some Artillery issues

There are also script changes as well with this new addition. If you would like to hear the new music, you need to drag the scripts into the script folder.

12. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Is ANYONE willing to do recordings of the BE infantry?

13. Acolyte

Acolyte Member

I wish i could, but my mic sucks :/ unless you like near new york and have good audio equipment, then i can't do squat.

14. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

New update. This is most likely final for next patch. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE test and provide feedback on sounds.

I will be making some smaller edits, such as a new barracks sound, after I get some recordings from Gregarious on Friday. Please give me feedback on all weapon sounds before this goes to the beta branch next week.

Changelog:
    New Bio Cannon sound
    New ER Cannon sound
    New Plasma Cannon sound
    New Turret sound
    Changed repair sound a tad
    Edited some cannon sounds
    Lot of new tutorial sounds (needs testing and finishing)
    Various other small tweaks I forgot about.

Please give these a try. The cut off for submission to the next patch is coming up quickly and I would like to get numerous opinions on the sounds so I can make it something that we all enjoy.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  15. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Ima going to be brutally honest here

BEHR sounds like a cartoon over the top gun. dont like it
    BEAR sounds better than BEHR. Dont like it though, originals sound better
    Reload sound, muy bueno
    BEHMG muy bueno
    HE nade muy bueno

death sound: way too overdramatic dont like it, plays way too much, everytime someone dies near you. Remove this

Some sounds just sound overly synthetically childish like the death sound and BEHR
    machine pistol and normal pistol 1 are good, pistol 1 is super excellent, pistol 2 needs to just get the deagle sound. Pistol 2 soudns awful atm
    reload sounds for pistol ar enice
    calculator sound is bad, its like you are ratttling a fence. Old one was better
    I kinda like smg1, but theres this strange metallic vibe that needs to be changed to make it even ebtter
    smg2 is good, sound super strong though

note sounds need to kinda be in line with their damage, underwise you overestimate.
    note: I have a feeling some guns sound way louder than others, and others are super quiet
    just a feeling cant put my finger on it
    Shotgun: perfect example, sound way damper than smg2

I can put my finger on it, it feels like the sounds are all recordded in a different room. One is a large metal container the other one a studio etc. They all sound different, differnet styles. Its kinda weird.

rpg reload sound, soudns too light, placing a rcoket inside an rpg needs to sound bulkier
    rpg sound is good when it explodes distant from you when it explodes close to you it sounds very weird. I like the original better
    mortar is nice, except the explosion sound, explosions sound way too distant and not loud at all. Even when you shoot the mortar almost on top of yourself it sounds like its an explosion detonated 5 miles away from you.

BE scout rifle just sounds off, not like a sniper rifle at all

without knowing what weapons were used I feel like the general vehicle weapon sounds are all really synthetic, the sounds we have right now sound way more natural, this could be because im used to them. You should really ask a neutral party.

edit: Ill update later

NFAR sounds so weak, dont like it
    NFHR dont like it, sounds like a 50 cal sniper rifle
    NFHMG is nice, reload sound is good too
    nf pistol 1 nice
    nf pistol shotgun sounds really hollow whilst the holstering sound sounds sharp
    nfsmg1 is good, but is way too silent compared to others
    smg2 is good too but silent aswell
    smg3 is real nice
    nfshotgun sounds ok, not great
    rpg explosions sound too distant
    mortar same thing
    nf sniper is good but a bit too metalic/sharp

Vehicles
    medium chaingun sounds fine but way too quiet
    apc engine sonds like a truck and not an apc
    chaingun is good, but sounds super different from medium cg, maybe make those sound the same?
    standard MG is good

note: noise intensity is still off across the board. Some sound too loud some too quiet. Some just always sound too loud and some always too quiet

standard ml sounds good,
    standard cannon sounds too strong, the initial blast, not the impact explosion. Impact explosion sounds like electric sizzling which isnt good. Sometimes the ipact explosion sounds like it, it changes every 3 shots?

edit: adding more vehicle shit

50 cals both sound bad
    note: I found a bug, mg sounds dont start playing unless you fire for more than 3 seconds the first time
    DU is still the same?

grenade launcher is great
    plasma sounds fine bit too lazery maybe

Ranged cannon sounds ok same as bio ml

do all rocket type weapons share the same impact sounds? Like it rotates between 3-4?

I really dont like the sounds rotating, make it consistent

Nukes sound way too distant even though its fired next to your ear-> more consistency in noise intensity compared to damage output needed
    HE Cannon is good

Wow the plasma canons look really good and sound good. You cant really know if you got a prototype 2 slot or a 3 slot as the other team

Rail canon and bio canon both ok

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  16. complete_

complete_ lamer

i dont have much time with finals coming up to test, but is it necessary to put so many new sounds in the next version?

i think it might be more preferable to start with the first couple "best" replacement sounds so that people can ease into the new sounds

17. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

A lot of the sounds are good, he only mentioned the ones that needed fixing.

Also, I wanted to have the goal of the new sounds to be all guns/tank weaponry sounds unique. I have accomplished this, to some varying degree of success which obviously needs some fine tuning but I have tuned a lot of them to sound pretty good. It'd be better to do an overhaul in my eyes rather than ease into it, because these sounds are all a higher quality and it is kind of noticeable.

Heh, you all laugh at me being an American and our "stupid" second amendment, but some of the rifle sounds are actually recorded by me because of our varying arsenal my family has.

18. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Thank you, I tuned the BEHR a tad and the BEAR.

I'll rework those, I'll revert them for now.

I'll fix calculator again. I fixed some of the "childish" sounding sounds. Gave Pistol 2 more bass to make it seem like a heavier hitting gun. SMG1 I edited a tad, hopefully removing that metallic vibe.

Shotgun is loud, I agree. However, shotgun's would be much louder than a rifle shot (not a sniper). I edited it a tad to make it more in line with everything else. Also, I did go through and edit some of the other guns I felt were underpowered, however, Infantry weapons at this point are the most polished version and I think they are ready to go.

Some were recorded by me, others taken from various combat footage, there is a different style to them all, however, no gun sounds the same or has a similar style to it.

I'll have to create an entirely new sound file for the impact. Currently, the RPG/Mortar used one of the cannon impact sounds from the standard cannon. I'll go through and create a new sound to make it sound better. Also, I didn't touch the reload sound.

I upped the bass on it to hopefully make it seem a tad stronger.

Saiga 12, AK 74, Mosin, AR15, various gauges of shotguns, 1911, M9, and various other pistols.

NFAR is the AR15 sound. I added more bass, but other than that I personally love it. It conveys the damage accurately to me because it doesn't sound that strong, and the NFAR does require more hits to kill than the NFHR.
    NFHR is a 50 cal gun, based on the name and description in game.
    NF shot pistol is a shotgun sound effect I found, I compared it to some of the other shotgun sound effects I have and it is relatively similar, probably won't touch the firing. Did touch the holstering to make it seem less "sharp"
    Nfsmg1 I increased the sound
    smg2 increased as well
    Tried to fix the metallic sniper thing, hopefully it worked.

Fixed the chainguns, I amplified their sound.
    Made the chainguns sound similar, the 2 slot one now should be deeper and a bit bassier though to convey stronger damage.

Agreed, I haven't had time to test some of the noise intensity except for just Infantry combat.
    Standard ML I just changed, it sounds unique now. Doesn't have a big explosion sound, because it is a missile and I picture that being more piercing rather than raw explosive damage.
    Standard cannon I will fix.

50 cal's I will fix. MG's are bugged, I think I have a fix for it. DU is still the same. Plasma I added more bass to it.
    There is unique Ranged cannon sound and a unique Bioml sound (now)

The rocket types all share the same sound effects. They share the cannon impact sounds, I just went through and made all ML's unique.
    They already rotated in the current version, you were just used to it.

Reverted the nuke change, my attempt failed.

Thanks for feedback. I do appreciate it.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

19. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

My above account is locked (not banned), it has been doing so for the better part of a month where it can't validate my email for some reason, so I logged in on one of my older ones.

I edited a lot of the intensity issues, added new ML sounds (for all ML's), reverted nuke, fixed the chain guns, removed placeholder barracks sound for a new one, dampened the Radar ambience, Fixed some of the gun issues (hopefully?), made the repair sound better and yea. Test this out, let me know.

Todo tomorrow so it can go on beta:
    Fix 50cal
    Fix Death sounds
    Finish up with intensity issues, (Shouldn't be anything really anymore)

Todo hopefully for beta, but could also be later:
    Add unique impacts for Mortar/RPG so everything is unique and you can identify what is being fired at you. (currently shares the impact sounds as the Std. Cannon, I can't find the scripts to change it.) Not game breaking, but would be nice.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  20. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I'm not big on half of this, a lot of things sound off. Like sounds are distant even though you are firing the gun right next to you, P1 sounds like it has a silencer it's kinda weird.

I guess I really just subscribe to the thought don't fix what ain't broken, but I don't feel like a lot of these are improvements, many sounds lack that impact the originals had. It kinda reminds of what happened to the sound design of killing floor 2 coming from killing floor 1.

I don't hate all of it, reload sounds are nice for most of them(there was something off on a couple but can't remember), and I like the ambient sounds for buildings. I just kinda feel like you changed everything because you could change everything, not because it needed it.