XP system

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Donald Trump, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Neoony

Neoony Member

I think simply a ranking in the scoreboard (or by your name) would serve this purpose. At least enough for a start of some progression system.
    Cosmetics? I mean why not....but I dont think its needed here. Or that it should serve any main purpose here...And, also..its a finite thing.
    ...you can make rank icons :D

Lets say you could have your long time rank in the scoreboard, and also some kind of short time rank which would dissipate on inactivity.
    And then you could further implement/develop "rewards" from there. Either longtime rank or short time based.

First major one could be access to command vehicle, when you reach some longtime rank.
    ...or such. (Or achievements?)
    or, come up with more.... :D

I just dont think the rewards matter as much here. Sure, its nice..but that for me would be...another idea.
    I think this discussion became completely stale with cosmetics.

I would rather see this, as simply adding a link between the rounds that you play. A tracker. Other than your hours played in steam.
    Subtle, maybe...but of course, not some 100% solution for longetivity of the game. You could improve it by adding more rewards or meanings.

EDIT: ...It doesnt mean that this has to now become the reason why people play...No.
    Its there...floating in the background.
    The grain of salt of your 2000 hours spend on the game.

Ranks being in the scoreboard and/or by your name would be one difference from the usual public plugin based rankings we had.
    And other difference is (hopefully), that it might be easier to edit the feature if people would find some ways to abuse and so.
    To this day, we only had public plugins poorly linked to the events of the game, that had to be accessed out of the game and had no meaning in the game.

I just dunno why talk cosmetics here xD

Iam just rather curious, if source can actually have some ranking and/or database like this globally? (which wouldnt be super hard to implement of course)
    Or, it would be better server plugin based? (and then maybe somehow linked with the game)
    I wonder how was the beerdudes thing supposed to work exactly...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Ah, you totally reminded me that dystopia has a ranking system. www.dystopia-stats.com/index.php

I think their system resets every so often, or you lost points over time from not playing, not entirely sure but the list doesn't seem to have a long history.

Neoony likes this.
  3. Neoony

Neoony Member

Its like that in majority of rank systems.
    Even the ones we had were like that.

EDIT: They either reset based (monthly or so), or your rank dissipates, and usually if you dont play for some days/weeks you will stop being displayed in the ranks.

Iam just saying it should be separate from longtime rank, if done like that.

I wonder how dystopia done it now :D

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  4. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Yes and it's clearly saved their population...

http://steamcharts.com/app/17580

5. Ranger

Ranger Member

We need - To build - A Great Great Wall, around the noobs to keep them in the Empire illegaly!

Xyaminou likes this.
  6. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I didnt know we were using exceptions now to argue our cases. 99 games have the system and are doing fine, but shit 1 game isnt, must be the sustems fault. Also vaccines cause autism

7. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Fuck they do? God damnit. I just got a flu vaccine, that means I'm gonna develop autism...

Next I imagine you're going to tell me that wifi causes cancer...

8. Paradox

It does... Thats why i alwayse use a lan cable to plug my phone to the internet

9. Lazybum

You take that back, dystopia is still one the best unique games out there.

To be fair, they got a bit of a problem where thanks to some sdk update the client crashes when you load into a match, the stat page crashes the game too. So to the casual downloader the game looks dead and borked to them.:(

It's also true that the servers are for 16 players, so once one maxes out it's hard for someone to seed the other. Considering there's only 2 servers it means dystopia maxes out at 32 players.

10. Neoony

Neoony Member

Its not like you can compare, what stats would the game have, if they didnt have such thing.
    So, you can only guess what effects it has. The game could also be dead for many other reasons.

I also wonder if its only shown in their website...or its also implemented in the game, or how much it matters in the game.
    Which is quite major factor here.
    If its only on their website, then its pretty much no different to the rank plugins we had.

Its not like there should be some one magical idea that saves empires.
    It should be number of ideas, which all individually add some percentage to it.

Thats one problem with ideas here.
    Many get dismissed, only because "herp, derp..its not 100% solution"
    So people rather argue with the reasons why not implement it, instead of why implement it.

And dont tell me about efforts, because even ideas that could take little effort often got dismissed, because people found usually pointless reasons of "why not do it", absolutely ignoring any possible positive effects.

Not saying that this idea would be easy, or anything like that.
    But Iam just super tired with people only looking at negative things of ideas here and literally digging for the reasons "why not".

Too much fog here xD

11. Lazybum

Dystopia lists your rank on the scoreboard, the one you see when you hit tab. There's a button on the main menu that says "stats page", which just opens a panel that displays the webpage, thought it's basically just as functional as if it was seamlessly integrated into the game itself. So no, this stat's system is not hidden in the slightest.

12. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

To continue what Flasche and Vicki were saying earlier today, you both are creating something I am not suggesting.

This system is:
    1. Not to determine who is a better commander and who isn't. It is simply to help determine a stacked game and determine who is actually new and who isn't. In the commander vote I don't want a "This person is X rank and this person isn't" because people who are GREAT commanders might come back or only come on so often (Hobbes), and therefore their rank wouldn't be high. People would obviously elect the better one, stupid system. What I am saying here is tie this into a mandatory Commander tutorial that takes around 5-10 minutes to do before you can command. For all the vets out there who would complain about this, I don't care. Complain all you want, this will stop games from being ruined from people who have literally no idea what is going on and make them at least have a slight idea of what is going on.

2. This system won't offer much in terms of incentive. Yea your rank and XP might go higher, but it's not like you are going to be auto balanced depending on the ranks of both teams. Instead, I would like a more ORGANIC balance in which people can CLEARLY see a "stacked" team and try to prevent it. Noobs have no idea when they are stacked against, making them hate this game because they just got their ass raped. Some way for them to see a stack would allow THEM to call out the stack and hopefully call for a balance. This would ALSO stop some arguments of "Well this game is stacked" "No it isnt" "Yes it is, we have 6 noobs on our team" "Well I dont even know who half my team is". A clear rank could stop this or at least prevent this.

If your counter argument to the above is one of the following, it is invalid. Those counter arguments are:
    A. "What if old players come back? They will be rank 0 and thats unfair" - No it's not unfair. They left. They are coming back to a new system. Everyone starts out on the same level able to game the same amount of XP. Yea, if they start playing again they can rank up faster because they know how the game works, but you can't argue about the few exceptions of people who come back after not playing for months on end.

B. "It will drive people away, no one will like it" - Great. This game, once it hooks you, usually gets you to stay. Why have vets been leaving? Well a big reason there was a drop in population of vets was because of that year long period where you couldn't even play the game really, that and real life issues. Yea vets may complain about the game, but few truly leave because of "changes" and if they are leaving because they are ranked "0" they need to really evaluate why they were playing this in the first place. If a 0 next to their name, that they could EASILY rank up quickly with, discourages them from playing... that is just shitty on their end because it's not like anything is going to be restricted based on rank, it's just to give a general idea of team balance.

3. This system could provide the e-penis Empires lacks and hopefully entice people to stay. That is necessary and rewards players making them happy. Not saying it will work 100% that way on everyone, but an E-Penis to keep people around is a good way to do that.

Neoony likes this.
  13. Paradox

Also if you use the argument it will drive people away you are clearly stupid.
    An xp system doesnt interfere with the game system except to balance it. How does giving a ranking system matter at all to you if you dont like it.

In dota theres an xp system aswel, you get xp for every game you play based on the lenght.
    You litterally get nothing at all in return. Im level 80 something and it doesnt do anything it just says im level 80.
    But for low levels it does matter, you can only play ranked after level 20. But after that it does nothing and you just forget about it.

I dont get how anyone can oppose this system if someone is willing to put work into it.
    It could potentially add a lot to the game AND it does NOT take anything away. So its a win win situation

14. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

The arguments are "Well if it doesn't do anything, why add it?" and "It will drive people away cause vets will be at the same level of noobs or some guy who plays it daily will be a higher rank"

15. Lazybum

I'm not entirely sure why a forced commander tutorial has to be tied into the xp system. It's quite a separate idea really. An idea I'm all for, a quick 5-10 minute tutorial would help so much, but I don't see how this relates to the xp system.

I don't see why the xp system would drive anyone away, don't really see it keeping players either if you aren't locking actual content behind it. I see the balancing bit, but I have seen soooo many terrible players from battlefield that are maxed rank I don't think it's a system that actually tells anyone anything. I'm more for a hidden stats system that's much simpler then the xp system that forces teams then anything really, it would actually do something to create balance teams. I think both paradox and security mentioned a system that would work alright.

I was mostly against this at the start because you made a big deal about hats keeping players which I just flat out doubt. Time spent working on useless things is actually a good reason not to work on something, time is a very scarce resource for most people. If someone really wants to and has the time it's not like I can say much then. At least they are motivated to work on empires.

16. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Let me elaborate on some of these.

The commander tutorial would just be like a part of the XP system because then it could show up on your "rank" you are qualified to command IE, did the commanding tutorial.

It's not suppose to be "This is his rank because he is this good" it's suppose to be a general idea of how good a player would be. Generally, if you put 1000 hours in, you get X amount of XP to show you AREN'T a noob. Then, if a team has X more "vets" than another team there could be like a punishment for the stacking team like longer research, longer respawn, less res.. something like that.

Also, balancing based on the ranks is a TERRIBLE idea. This system prevents you from playing with friends... It hinders more than it helps. Plus, we dont have a big enough population for an ELO system.

17. Lazybum

I envisioned it that you would simply be unable to opt in to the vote if you didn't do the tutorial. Nothing needs to be displayed because it's inherent in the system that you know the basics by even being in it.

Like I said, I've seen terrible players with high rank. Terrible not just in the shooty part, but just bad at the game. Like blindly rushing into meat grinders like metro in bf3 bad.

Like I said, hidden simpler stat system. I heard of a flat win/loss that would work out pretty fine. Paradox mentioned an elo type system I think, empires doesn't have a huge pop but I don't really see why it wouldn't work. It would probably take a month or something to start working right though. I agree that it would be bad if people can't play with their friends, it's even worse if every match is awful because these friends are skilled vets stacking one side. I just want good empire rounds, I don't see how people seeing ranks will help with balance teams.

Maybe it autobalances after comm vote? Or right before it? So people can choose teams but if it's terrible stacked the game goes "lol no" and just forces more balanced teams. Anything is better the currently.

18. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

That last one might work. We do need some way of balance, but I was thinking more along the honor system like other games. Punish the stacking team and give them a handicap to balance could also work like longer research, less res, less tickets etc.

19. Lazybum

I really can't think of a single time an honor system did anything ever, people are lazy and suck. While I like the idea of handicaps like that, I highly doubt it makes a difference to a stacked team. Well maybe it makes more of a difference now, I'm just used to apcs with no upgrades or a jeep rush being able to steam roll the enemy if the stack is high enough.

20. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

ffs no, my argument was that a rank system says nothing about players who played this game for an eternity but only randomly play now. a rather new player who plays for maybe 1 months probably will have ten time the rank i have. now i dont really give a shit about that if the rank soleley is about having a rank (at which point i dont get why there is a rank to begin with), but as soon as you bring commanding into it, id find it incredibly shit if i get denied the comm chair just because im rank 3 vs someone who is rank 30 but only played for a couple of weeks. yeah he might get the game, not saying that someone playing for a month couldnt be capeable of commander, but i think im not the worst of a comm either and my chances to get the seat would be highly reduced because next to my name stands a 3 and next to someone elses name stands 30.
    and i do like to comm from time to time.

for me this is synonymous with stacking - might have historical reasonsn tho