XP system

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Donald Trump, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

I have one which could be used. But it will be for the devs to decide. The offer is to redo every model in Empires.

2. Vdragon

Vdragon Member

This is stupid. You won't keep any new player that is not a complete retard by doing this. On the other hand, random cosmetics drops are nice, but imo empires can't work with 'gameplay unlocks'.

3. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Again, this isn't a cosmetic drop. You are acitvely working towards unlocking something. Look, many of you aren't getting that this is something the human mind works towards... it likes to have a goal and it likes to work towards something. By adding in XP and a "reward", the mind is considering itself rewarded for playing a game, something that would keep players. This is, overall, just suppose to add an overarching thing that draws all matches together instead of every match is a new match because to most the new players, this doesn't appeal. Plus, it would make Empires slightly more competitive in the grand scheme of things with other games.

4. Vdragon

Vdragon Member

Yes, that's what I said, it is stupid. random drops are not stupid.
    - virtual XP is not rewarding for many peoples, it is purely a mean to obtain the drops which are rewarding.
    - people hate farming for virtual xp to obtain a wanted item.
    - dropping something else than cosmetics in a non-random (= XP driven) fashion instill that the higher the XP value, the better.
    - It is a PITA for people who would rather play with the 'higher XP' weapons for reasons like 'i think i'd have more fun with that weapon'.
    etc...
    XP is not rewarding for anyone that can think further than the number shown on the screen.
    Cosmetics is the same shit, XP system is 100 % garbage. Random drops are fun because you get 'something' for having played some time, it is a nice surprise, not a chore.

5. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

But, that's where I'd argue that.

-Virtual XP is not stupid, it is rewarding. People like to work towards an item or goal, the human mind is made to work towards a goal and constantly seeks out the "next" goal after the one it is doing is completed. The mind doesn't like to sit idle.
    -People hate farming when it becomes almost impossible to do the task. However, MMO's and even CoD's have done well at retaining players even when the task is impossible. People would get to rank 70 20+ times in order to get max prestige.
    -People play games all the time for cosmetics. We would be taking a new approach to the system by simply having ONLY cosmetic rewards, but it is still a reward and would fill that "reward" loop I talked about that many other games have.
    -No gameplay variation would occur. While people do play for that reason, I think a cosmetic driven XP system is a risk that is 100% worth taking. It's new, never before seen, and can't be bashed because we simply DON'T know how it works. Hell, people spend hundreds of hours in a game just to get a title... thousands of hours moderating forums for the green "moderator" tag, yet it's too much to expect people to play a game for a cool skin? Look at Runescape. People literally spend thousands of hours of their life trying to get a cool cape, finish all the quests etc in a game that is SOLELY about grinding.

This system is more than just drops. It is a rank to tell if a team is stacked to help noobs identify if they are being gang-raped by 10 vets, it is a way to get noobs to do tutorials, it is a way to reward people and keep them in the game. It's a full system that does a lot with one little XP bar and some customization.

Edit: What else is going to be worked on? Bugs that are seemingly non-existent now? People keep saying "Their time would be spent better on something else" but I have yet to hear 1 suggestion that would be better. Perhaps fixing the turret rotation/second seat rotating with it would be good but again I really don't see anything else needing immediate fixes. It's time to start adding content to Empires to bring back old players and entertain us all while modernizing the game a tad.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  6. Ranger

Ranger Member

If u want ranking make it like real life. make securitits and other people generals and have them promoting nub vets, then we get clearance level from 0 to 10 and we are all cool and we can hide stuff from each other like the military and be super snobs. then we can join the avengers.

COMAMNDERS SHOULD HAVE SECURITY CLEARANCE 7OR8+

Level 10 gets you thor's hammer, super soldier serum or one of the 42 tony stark's ironman suits and you can meat director nick fury and talk about secrets and super spy stuff.
    then make DLC with special drops with items from the new avengers

sit back and watch empires burn

Now, seriously. I've seen too many people complain after big updates changing XP systems etc so I'd rather have an Empire clean of this thing to avoid any trouble. And anyhow ranking system is just completely .... like "I start building my house from top to bottom."

7. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

The whole point of this is to have something to work towards. It is NOT something in one round. It is meant to be an over arching system for something to work towards so IF you lose or IF you win, you didn't just waste an hour of your life, only to do it again during the next round.

8. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

You still aren't trying very hard to understand others Mr. Trump. People say dev's should do other things instead of this because most say this won't really do what you want. You say "what other stuff"? And I keep pointing to that exact thing.

You make it sound like I have constantly been talking about how this is in the wrong part of the forums, when I have only mentioned it twice because there was no response to the first time, which mentioned what I said in my previous post. The things that people want, that take dev time, are in the feedback section. Which you have also not really recognized as an answer to your question and instead got very upset at me.

Generally every post I have made on this thread has been about the topic at hand, there has been very little derailing from me as it were. The only posts that might not exactly deal with the topic of xp progression have been answers to questions you yourself have posed.

9. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Doesn't have to be XP, but Empires needs some sort of e-penis.

Even if we are going to implement XP system, comm should be the only thing that needs unlocking, we shouldn't lock out too many part of the game from nubs, but comm is a nice exception.

10. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

You have pointed to a subforum with other ideas, not to any specifics. Obviously, some ideas are better than others so simply pointing to a subforum with a bunch of good and crappy ideas isn't pointing to anything really.

You have made two posts, I will acknowledge that. However, I am no admin or mod, I can't move it. I didn't acknowledge it because I was in the wrong forum to post this, but I can't do anything to fix it.

Most posts have been arguments by you, however most of my posts are not derailing at all. My main post was about an XP system with rewards, which is exactly what I reply about.

11. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Are you guys going to keep derailing this or can we finally get back on track?

This is why we can't get things done, discussion always end up with

1: People insulting each other because if you don't go my way, you are a fucking retard, how dumb is it for you to come up with a such idea?

2: completely unrelated stuff, and more unrelated stuff related to that unrelated stuff. So this thread is about chocolate cakes? I thought it's about script changes, oh no wait, it's about a bug, or is it about brexit? nah fuck it, who gives a shit.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    Donald Trump and Neoony like this.
  12. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Tldr devs want to implement a system that keeps people from going away, other old farrs dont believe in it even though every other game has it. But they know better.

Donald Trump likes this.
  13. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I do know better, on that we can agree.

14. Neoony

Neoony Member

This is why we cant have nice things xD

15. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

This comes down to a point paradox made which is no feedback from devs on a lot of things, even ideas that many agree would be nice don't get moved to under consideration. I fully understand it's a time sink managing that, but it does seem like we have a million ideas that are all crap. For general ideas that would really help keep players have the usual list:
    • Making the vf menu not a terrible experience, a lot of it isn't obvious to new players and it's just clunky to use.
    • Make commanding easier to do, by this I mean making research fully visible and giving commander more tools to effectively communicate with team. It's a bit of a problem if you don't have a mic or more likely english is not the main language so these players can't communicate what they want.
    • Help the disconnect from commander to ground troops by making several elements visible to ground players. Like when a building drops player can see an outline of some sort so they know exactly when the commander intends to drop a building and where.
    • Better control for squads, this means both making it possible to change squad lead without a commander(how much flak does a person who doesn't know squad lead get?) and simply making it easier to lead a squad. This last portion I feel would be helped if people could draw on the tactical map, or simply set waypoints from the tactical map. Having the squad powers as buttons on the squad menu could also make it easier for new players to lead.
    • A better tutorial, Need both an infantry one, a tank one, and a commander one. I really think it would be great for new players if they couldn't opt in for commander if they haven't done the comm tutorial, this way they don't find out how horrible the community is to new comms that don't know what to do and end up swearing never again. I know some games force you into a tutorial as soon as game starts and it might not be the worst idea for empires to do that, empires at the start can be a little too complicated to just jump in even if you have played other games a bit.
    • Some way to force a bit of team balance.
    This last point is where you go"THAT'S A BENEFIT OF THIS XP SYSTEM". Again though, I'm going to quote my first post in here because it sums up what I feel about it.
    All of this would help make more players willing to stick with it, simple progression doesn't ease how terrible the new experience of empires can be.

16. Vdragon

Vdragon Member

Except the good ones.

Xyaminou likes this.
  17. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

then empires should defitnily implement it

Donald Trump and Xyaminou like this.
  18. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Yeah Empires is the best game, just nobody plays.

19. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Look, we have to take a "risk" sooner rather than later. Theres some population now, but it is ever dwindling because the vets are starting to leave who love the game because it has changed so much, tanks have become cardboard boxes, and research is generally stale.

New stuff has to be added, and it needs to be something new with an e-penis to promote continued play. Fixing all of that, while refining the game, doesn't provide a reward-loop or any reason to continue playing after 10 rounds. Yea you might learn the game a bit more, but again, you aren't being rewarded for playing. You will say that it has no effect, but it really does. Why would most AAA games do this if it wasn't meaningful?

My point is, we need something new. Fixing stuff continually isn't going to do shit. No game survives as long as Empires without adding new stuff, and perhaps its time to try something new to keep a population rather than lose both populations that occupy this game. Hell, even adding shit might bring back the vet population who are tired of simply fixes to a system that has worked for years. XP provides that micro-penis to give a reward/task system, and it is something new. I am not saying there aren't better ideas I am just saying that the notion to continually fix the game isn't going to suffice.

Neoony likes this.
  20. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I am taking a risk with all my new weapons in the upcoming patch, because honestly, why the fuck not?

Donald Trump likes this.