[WANTED] Help with Certain Things

Discussion in 'General' started by Donald Trump, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

[​IMG]

Alright, here's the deal guys. We can come together as a community and help Make Empires Great Again, and here is how:

1. Start posting content that is POSITIVE Empires related on the empires subreddit found here. This subreddit is going to be the forefront of future recruitment, and it will be made fancy in the coming days so it is actually appealing. However, before that, I would ask that you start posting content there. Pictures, funny videos, anything helps. Use a throwaway if you'd like.

2. Help out with Dev features possibly, if you can do something and you're bitching about it, step up and do it rather than bitch. We all know shit takes a while to get done, so help out.

3. I need a couple people, (anyone who can do a decent russian accent), to re-read the voice overs for in game. They are a tad old and dated, and new one's at a higher quality would be very beneficial. Some things you would need:

A good Microphone (I don't discriminate and since there are many out there, I'm not gonna name any specific ones)
    A Russian Voice or thick accent
    An American voice
    The ability to yell/talk loudly while recording
    A deep, soothing voice (Gregarious, this one is directed at you, you're gonna be the new com voice)

Message me on here if interested for any of those, I will get back to you on the specific lines you need to read. I really do need new voices before the November Cutoff for the next update.

4. Let's get rid of some cancer so newbies don't run away. Seriously, we are on the front of a curator's page so there's more exposure than normal.

Let's work together as a community and try to revitalize this game to the greatness it once was, Let's #MEGA.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    Neoony likes this.
  2. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Does "Dev features" include programming? If so, i can help out a bit.

3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

But I like the current voices...

Neoony likes this.
  4. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

You lost me at that terrible american propaganda,
    You double lost me at replacing voices that don't need to be replaced (commander voice)
    You triple lost me at "Let's get rid of some cancer so newbies don't run away". Seriously what the fuck is this supposed to mean? Newbies who fuck around are the ones giving a bad image to the game. Instead of a competitive well organised teamplay strategic game we get a fuck around and trolololol for days. Don't blame this on people who read this forum.

Oh and "Seriously, we are on the front of a curator's page so there's more exposure than normal." That doesn't mean shit, been there for 3 or 4 months and the population has been decreasing in those months, can you do the math? Or just because JustGoFly posted it it's got to be true?
    Think before you post people.

Should have stayed away from the forums...

5. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Trump, joking about suicide is not funny, you saying you want to remove cancer from the game and all.
    Eh, they are okay far as i can tell, they are most definitely not I NEED BANDAGES tier, thats for sure.

6. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Yea, Thexa and Tama would probably welcome that. Any programmers are of high priority right now I think, I'd shoot them a message and see if you can help out. I know you have been recommending fixes for a lot, perhaps those could come into play if you joined.

There was even an effort by Tama a while back to get new voices. The lines will stay relatively the same, but some of them, such as the northern faction "PULL BACK" just sounds... off along with a bunch of others. This is obviously just a test, I will revert them should they be worse than they were initially.

Great it was meant to be a joke. I really don't care if I lost you, you don't play much anymore. Not to say you should stop playing, but seriously, it's a joke.
    While redoing sounds I've noticed that the Commander voice is... I can't really put my finger on it but it just doesn't sound right. Granted that is my personal opinion and I am always open to the public opinion, such as yours. Perhaps it doesn't need changing, but I will offer a change, save the old files, and if it's generally not liked I will revert it. I have been doing this for much of the sound update, if something isn't liked I don't go through with it because I think my version is more correct, I allow for feedback. Hence why I put my sounds up for testing, so people can try it out.
    Yes, I agree. However, being cancer to newbies and not even trying to help them drives them away. Congratulations, now there is no game in 3 years! The population has been steadily declining, if newbies don't stay the game will die.

Funnily enough, I found this out when I joined district on a Tuesday night and there were like 40 people on, with only about 5 vets on. I asked the newbies where they saw this and they said the Curator page. So... obviously it is having SOME impact. But, I must be wrong even though I asked the people who actually joined.

Yea, you should have.

I'm contributing as I can with sounds, it is definitly the lowest of the priorities when it comes to sounds, but seeing as I have most of the vehicle/weapon sounds in, I can start focusing on the tier that doesn't need immediate fix.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  7. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Here we are back to blaming experienced players for not helping newbies. Do you understand why? Have you ever tried helping them?
    Because if you have then you'd know that 9 times out of 10 result in complete failure, you end up being insulted, dismissed, or even completely ignored. So I'm sorry if I don't waste my time trying to teach people who don't give two shits about anything you tell them. I never signed up for that and just because I have more experience or am smarter than some people I shouldn't be forced to teach them everything I know.

Do you know that one of my hopes for Empires is that someday I'd be able to organise events where you have experienced squadleaders and commanders leading inexperienced players, players who would listen, who would show an interest in playing the game how it's meant to be, and respect for experience. How do you think I feel knowing this is never going to happen?

Anyway, you know I'm glad that you're working on sounds for weapons, engines and stuff, but careful when touching voice commands, the attachment is strong for people.

8. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

You know you could just revert the changes locally right? I don't know if Source got the same SteamPipe changes as GoldSource, but if so, you can just add those files to empires_addon and enable addon loading with the -addons command line argument to override the game's files.

9. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I don't like having a different game than other people, if you know what I mean. I wish sv_pure would get fixed and enabled.

flasche likes this.
  10. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

I know the feeling too. Most of them don't listen, but when some of them do you just helped the community. If someone is dismissive, don't go out of your way but if someone is ACTUALLY willing to listen, I'm saying that you should help. Part of the reason why I want content posted on the subreddit, because it might draw in the Reddit crowd which I think this game would fit for and we can post guides on how not to be a complete retard.

I know. I want that as well. Which is why we should try to focus on a recruitment. I am also going to be making a trailer here soon for the store page, since trailers give a brief glimpse of actual game and will hopefully get more people to download the game.

I'm not going to try and change it much, but the sounds are lower quality. Hell, most of the sounds are at the level of a tape recorder if not worse. I just, some of the voices sound like the person who said it might have been a tad mentally slow, which might work for NF but the voice overs also don't convey any urgency of combat. That is what I want more than anything, to create an "atmosphere" for the game. Again, I am willing to coordinate and listen to the community. Lots of people testing my sounds have commended me on my ability to communicate, listen, and receive feedback from the community on my changes.

11. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I thought voices had that sound because it was suppose to sound like it came from a communication device, considering the setting of empires it makes sense it's not the best one.

12. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

I'd go for the same "communications" feel with a radio crackling sound, but I feel like they aren't as combat oriented. When you are under fire, you wouldn't take 2 seconds to say "PULL BACK" or be very calm when you say "retreat", it doesn't add to the "combat" atmosphere you are in when bullets are flying all around.