Feedback on Genre of Music that Describes Empires

Discussion in 'General' started by Donald Trump, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Okay guys, since I am redoing some sounds, Assquatch has stepped up to the plate and is redoing the old music and going to do some new music. A brilliant idea I had, which Assquatch has thankfully agreed to do, is putting in some background ambient music to play while combat ensues and while you are running between refineries. Generally just playing on a very quiet loop, but to fill the void when the game is dead silent.

So, music sets the tone for how a game is meant to be played as evidenced by Killing Floor, which has screamo and is a mosh pit of blood and guts, and then Red Orchestra 2 and Company of Heroes 2 which have a semi-classical feel to it and makes it seem rather serious.

We would both honestly love feedback for how you think this game should be taken. Ambient music will add a lot to the atmosphere we believe, and before anything is done by an executive decision by either of us we have agreed to consult the community to get feedback. Please, post examples of what you think SHOULD play or post a genre you think would fit best. Please be serious.

2. CRITAWAKETS

CRITAWAKETS Member

Different music tracks should play depending on the action.

The genre should be classical and i guess electronic.

3. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

so you vote for electronic/classical. I'll keep that in mind. I personally was for more of a classical as well

I'm not quite sure depending upon the action, that would be something that would have to be coded and would need thexas or another coders implementation. I feel that just having a blanket song play first would be best just to set the atmosphere.

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

dark ambient

or alternatively metal, but i dont dare to name a genre there - definately somethingsomethingCORE tho - where are or nordic players? im sure they know something

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  5. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Do you by chance have an example? I think I know what you mean, but to confirm for myself and for others to see.

6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

youtube it, i dont know any bands. ambient in general isnt exactly what i listen to. there is a lot of very industrial sounding alienesc stuff, but seriously i couldnt name anything.

7. =[KXIC]= Assquatch

=[KXIC]= Assquatch Member

Just would like to add, I've rearranged one of the game's tracks with some more authentic orchestral sampling. There were a few effects I couldn't replicate towards the end, but overall I think I got most of it. I've uploaded both the original and my version to Soundcloud, and I would appreciate any thoughts you might have. Thanks!

I've also included my profile link, I will be uploading both personal music I've composed, and other composer's music I think would fit the game well.

My profile: https://soundcloud.com/assquatchkxic
    Original track: https://soundcloud.com/assquatchkxic/empires-the-beginning-original
    Updated version: https://soundcloud.com/assquatchkxic/empires-the-beginning-new

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    Neoony likes this.
  8. Neoony

Neoony Member

Sounds better to me.
    More clear and better quality, nice.

Anyway.
    I always enjoyed listening to BSG while playing empires (and many other games too)
    So I would definitely "vote" for something in this style.

There are even few vids I was very long time ago just messing around with on my channel xD
    Not much finished, mostly just experimenting xD

example:

So, just something in that style, is something I would like.
    This somewhat classical/orchestral battle music.

But I like the style of the music thats already in too, like the intro that you remade for example.
    Think it defines and fits empires theme quite well, which should be consistent in the game.

EDIT:
    Maybe a bit better and simpler example to the orchestral battle music:
    youtube.com/watch?v=lsZCeyLNsKA

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  9. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Nice, I like that style as well. Also, a cinematic?

So the general consensus seems to be, so far at least, a type of classical ambient? Like an Orchestrational?

10. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Still sad that the music in the loading folder never gets played. I dunno, I do think winners write the history fits empires, that orchestra sound with metal guitars. Which reminds me of hell march from red alert, that kinda also fits empires I feel.

11. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

So you say metal?

I did see those files. No idea what they are doing there... just taking up pointless space. Perhaps they don't have the right to them?

12. =[KXIC]= Assquatch

=[KXIC]= Assquatch Member

13. Ranger

Ranger Member

Total Annihilation is an excellent example of orchestral music. This type would be too much for empires I think. Like, some parts send shivers down my spine.

I also like Command & Conquer Generals (+Zero Hour) Music. All faction had their own unique music. The amurican was teh bescht.

EA music can't be used of course, but TA's I think yeah because it's old and the company doesn't exist anymore. I have all the tracks if anyone is interested.

One of my Favourites:

And:

14. Lazybum

I presumed them being in the folder called "loading" they would play while empires is loading. There is a person called [PRKL] Werihukka on these forums who's the artist of those songs. In this thread , it looks like he was going to make some official tracks for empires.

Also 10/10 reading there buddy, I said orchestra with metal, it's a small difference sure but a rather important one.

Oh, I would also really like if the opening theme was changed to what it was previously, I certainly enjoy it much more then what we currently have. Though that could be I don't spend tons of time in the main menu and it takes like 20 seconds or something before the current theme goes anywhere.

15. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

I'd encourage everyone to go checkout those songs to see what people think.

Sorry, I meant to include orchestral. Mistake made.

I can revert it if you like, everyone seems to like the old one better. I have no idea where the new one even came from.

16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

DIE WAFFEN LEGT AN

17. Lazybum

Supposedly the menu theme that's playing now was the original song from ages ago(Ah, it was the BF1942 version), then it was replaced with the theme most people know and love. EDIT: Oh no, I can't seem to find alliance in my folder D:. Even more sad news that guy who made alliance, the old theme, made a thread for other a couple of songs he didn't release to empires, but that page is gone too.:(
    https://forums.empiresmod.com/index.php?threads/original-music-soundtrack-posted.18738/

What songs are we suppose to check out? All the links in the thread I linked are dead. If you mean winner's write the history anyone can find them in sound/common/music/loading.

Or go here to hear some super extended 18 minute version and you don't want to dive into the empires folder. https://werihukka.bandcamp.com/track/winners-write-the-history
    It might be a case the ones in the empires folder are just parts from that main song, but I dunno I haven't listened to it all the way yet.

18. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

I remember a song like this, is this the one you're thinking of?

19. complete_

complete_ lamer

nothing with any kind of guitar, especially electric

20. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Heh, this might be the first time we personally agree on something.