Empires Official Discord

Discussion in 'General' started by Trickster, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Hi everyone,

I've set up a Discord server for Empires. For those of you that haven't used Discord before or don't know what it's about, it's a VOIP/Chat client. It consists of a voice component, similar to Teamspeak, Ventrilo, or any other chatroom based VOIP application, but also a constant chat which functions more like IRC or the shoutbox on this forum, with the advantage of being a lot easier to use, allowing embedded videos, images, etc.

Once installed (assuming you don't change settings), Discord can start by default with your PC much like steam. This only applies for the text component, not voice. I'm hoping that if enough people who are actively playing or participating in the Empires community, it could lead to more collaboration on events, scrims or testing. I'll be posting it up in the official Empires steamgroup later this week, but for the time being everyone on the forums can get in earlier.

You can download Discord here: https://discordapp.com/

Once you've downloaded discord, simply go to http://discord.me/empires and it'll automatically add you to the server.

There's also a bot in there (sometimes). It's currently hosted on my PC so the uptime isn't going to be great. Once I've got it fully configured and doing the stuff I want though, I'll see about rehosting it elsewhere with the same settings

If you're interested in this, please spread the word, it could be a really great way of helping the community out. Hopefully I can get some ingame messages on the main server, and I intend on posting in the official Empires steamgroup on Saturday night or something for max exposure.

As far as admins go, I'll be giving Admin to any Empires developers. Depending on size it might be necessary to appoint moderators at some point. I'm hoping that once set up, developed and running properly, I can pass ownership of the server over to one of the current Empires developers.

EDIT: Also worth mentioning that the Discord app for Android and iOS is really good as well. I tend to use it to chat in EPIC discord whenever I'm away from my PC. Or on the toilet.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  2. Avatarix

Is this discord OFFICIALLY APPROVED BY MODERATION or not?

3. Trickster

I asked Tama and he said I was ok to go ahead. I actually made this a week ago but waited on Tama's approval before I went ahead and publicised.

4. Acolyte

Acolyte Member

Cool beans

5. Trickster

Put the announcement out. Looks as though we've got quite a few people, come in and join us if you can.

[​IMG]

6. Avatarix

This will die in matter of hours, and it's middle of freaking night in Europe so no voip for few of us.
    Also there's anarchy and you can shittalk everyone and it's so cool
    i like shitposting too
    2/10

7. Trickster

The Discord is mainly for the text chat tbh. The VOIP is just there if people want to use it. I just consider it a modern, upgraded IRC client in terms of what I actually want from it. We had a good IRC channel years ago which died out (still a couple of idlers I think), but it was definitely a good thing for the community at the time. I just hope this can at least partially emulate that.

vipervicki likes this.