Delaying a clear victory.

Discussion in 'General' started by VulcanStorm, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Flasche has been saying that for about 6 years. Every time we try to deal with tickets, we run into that as pretty good solution tbh. I mean if normal spawn time is 10s (it's +10 on suicide, right?), then when tickets run out you can bump that to double or even triple - 25s is not really a long time to wait. If you die in a round based fps you usually have to wait a lot longer. But it's long enough that a winning team can have way more space to push with less opposition.

-

I actually also think the monuments idea has some weight to it. I'm not really thinking of building things, but if you had timer based mechanics in the game, it would add a much cooler dimension to the late game. In theory that's what research should have been, since the longer things go on the more advantages and counters you get, but it's failed on that part. At least where late game is concerned. All mandatory tech can now be obtained much faster than was originally envisioned with resources no longer being a limiting factor.

I want to say this clearly, that fucks things up man. You need a replacement system for that idea, because without it, you get way more of these problems.

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

One of the ideas I proposed in that win condition thread was giving a secondary resource of sorts that could be fought over. Have a quote.
    This allows a lot of things that would be fun. It allows a sneaky sneaky way to win, it would possibly help a team on the losing side win if they can't ninja the enemy comm due to lack of coordinated players by giving the more skilled players an objective they can do with just one or 2 people, but the rest of the team is still helping because they are suppressing the enemy from taking their resource.Or act as a relay thing, meeting in half way to carry it back(like a ctf thing?) Having this secondary objective means there's value in not outright destroying a base, it can be better to leave it so you can plunder said resource if you are getting near that victory. Of course commander can still recycle, but it there's that risk vs reward in res cost and whatnot.

It can help prevent endless stalemate because eventually one side will simply win, it puts that hard timer on a match. Now on this one I can already hear a couple of complaints, but to that I say tickets already put a limit, just a slightly more undefined one. More importantly knowing that over time this will win the game or not can help force commanders to redirect their attention into something other then just playing super safe(like in slaughtered) which is the worse thing.

The real con I can think of this might not entirely prevent a team that's winning to do that final push to win. If it's late in the game they might even stick around waiting for a win. I would say having a sort of balancing thing with the resource might work here, as in if one team gets 5 more or whatever then the other team they'd lose, so they simply couldn't just wait for a win. I would just implement it as a simple counter first though, it's simpler to understand and easier to keep track of for both teams.

For what the resource actually is I would assume it's just components of some sort of super weapon of sorts, like an orbital strike that instant kills the cv for example(there's actually a particle effect for this in the game already, here's a vid from zoom orbital dropping buildings.) I mean killing the cv is the win condition so that would fit entirely with the rest of empires.

3. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Sudden death is a hard timer, tbh. You can't have a 3 hour game with that around. Though I don't think there's anyone left who plays the game that wants that any more.

4. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

It is a hard timer, but because it's ticket dependent that timer shifts around depending on map and pop size. I would almost honestly say if what I suggested was here you could remove tickets, because the game isn't going to go on forever with it. That might make some people happy.

Ikalx likes this.
  5. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

There is only one clear answer - the losing commander challenges the other commander to a DEATH MATCH.
    The players all gather to watch a ring battle to the death!

Torturing the nubs is a favorite past time and funny has hell. But they may actually learn something from it. It usually doesn't go on for too long since the vets know it will depopulate the server. And the little pricks usually surrender - WAY too quickly. AND it lets vets change the balance by stacking the losing team. That is the Empires way!