ARMA3 PMC campaign Take II

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by A-z-K, Aug 20, 2016.

1. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

They will be fine I imagine.
    Alternatively you can put these copies into your root folder and add them as local mods through the Steam ARMA launcher. As they are stored in separate places folders I don't think they will conflict and you should be able to launch either selectively with the checkboxes but I have to be honest I don't use the steam launcher that much to manage content.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

understood, move shit around, dont use workshop, wilco (amidoinitrite? ^^)

god i love arma, why havent i played this online earlier (and ive played all 3)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Oh snap arma time. Better get to refreshing myself how the game works. Really I just have a hard time seeing the enemy, they really kinda blend in to the background, I don't know how other people do it. As an aside about what time do you intend to start the games anyway? I ask because I tend to work a few hours on the weekends.

4. flasche

you just progess slowly ...

... also get a laser designator it has thermal optics (press n twice) :P

5. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Sounds good to me!
    Yeah spotting things is tough, no two ways about it. The main way to counteract that is to use the lay of the land to your advantage (know your blind spots), stop often to scan the horizon and when it does all kick off the team needs a good quick contact report "Enemy North" is not nearly as useful as "Enemy Fireteam, bearing 015, 600m, moving left to right, reference wooden house". If you are playing public PvP its pretty much just a case of who has the best optic and knows the spawn locations.

I'm guessing that Sunday is best for everyone?
    I'll be online messing around in the server & on teamspeak from 1900GMT, looking to start at 2000GMT, it shouldn't last more than an hour tops.
    I'll post a proper announcement later today.

6. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Shameless bump.

Tomorrow server will be up from 1900bst. You'll need the mod pack previously listed (500mb) to test everyone has it loaded ok. Will be playing a simple infantry mission. I will probably zues but also make sure everyone is oriented on ace and tfar.

On Sunday the same, server up at 1900 to have some fun and populate. PMC mission 1 will start at 2000bst. Check the steam group for your local time and server details. 1 slot left if anyone else wants to join us.

Only thing I ask is that if you can't make Saturday to test your mod pack then try and get in game for 1930 so we can iron out any issues you have. The mod pack and mission has already been tested so it should be fine so long a you have everything loaded and you know your key binds (ace changes a couple of things).

Would love it of anyone wants to record it but no bother if not. Hope to see you there. Good luck!

7. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Well guys the introduction scenario went about as well as I could have expected, technically all the mods and scripts worked which was somewhat of a relief.
    Thanks for arriving a bit early and getting everything working, I'm glad it seemed to be pretty easy.
    If anyone missed it and wants to do it I'll re-run it next weekend, if that is the case you might want to skip reading the AAR below.

After Action Report:
    • After arriving at Stratis airfield and obtaining checkpoint authorisation codes we navigated the treacherous roads to reach the Kamino gun range and pickup our equipment and weapons.
    • After having spent some time on the range we boarded Hawk 4-1 for a flight to Altis - but the flight didn't go to plan. In an unprecedented escalation to hostilities on the island & the region the Ghosthawk was hit with fire from static 50cal and a ground to air missiles, weapons not used by the insurgents anywhere in the theatre to date.
    • All ION personel survived the crash but the heli crew were not so lucky, all three dying to the blast from the spike missile.
    • The strike was followed by a well orchestrated insurgent ambush, with 40mm & sustained LMG fire from elevated positions and fire teams giving chase.
    • We dug in at the emergency rendezvous point as advised by NATO. Despite being out gunned and under equipped for this kind of engagement we were able to return effective fire, mounting a successful assault on one dug in position & killing one fireteam that entered the compound, but not without sustaining injuries.
    • When NATO forces arrived, with support of UAVs they were able to suppress the sizable remaining forces from higher ground & call in danger close 82mm to silence the LMGs.
    • Finally a Namera APC was cleared to enter the area and provide us with mechanised evac to the safety of Camp Rogain.

The Story Continues:

NATO have been caught out napping on its own doorstep, questions will be asked as to the effectiveness of their UAV & drone program as no intel to this point has suggested such a threat even existed. For there to be a platoon size element of enemy combatants operating on the Island & with such coordination and access to weapons was never considered & suggests much greater funding than previously imagined, possibly even involvement from a nation state. Curfews and martial law has immediately been imposed over the entire Island of Stratis & large parts of Altis which will do nothing for NATO relations with the population.

With no further BLUFOR or Civilian casualties, Nato commanders have praised the competancy of our unit in the face of overwhelming fire & have recommended us for higher clearance within the extended chain of command. This should mean more chances for high risk & reward taskings, though we'll still have to prove ourselves to the local brass that we can get the job done cleanly.

The custodian of the Junkyard was a relative to an executive at METKA corporation who owns the site & are the largest construction contractor to NATO forces in the region. Thanks to his safety and recollection of the events METKA would like to discuss opportunities for our PMC to protect their assets and as thanks, free use of their heavy machinery for any requirements we have at HQ (fortification, buildings, etc).

....Next stop ION HQ Altis (maybe this time we take a boat)

8. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I'm going to re-run the first mission tomorrow (Saturday 24th) at 1400bst - see the steam group for local time.
    Last weekend went really well so it's worth turning up if you missed it.

The next mission is well on it's way for the weekend of the 1st-2nd. Will be a lot more open ended with 2 or 3 missions or "events" that can be approached in a couple of ways with different outcomes.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  9. flasche

the 2nd is my bday, so i hopefully wont be able to make it. i plan to have a severe hangover from saturday.

10. Lazybum

I honestly would play mission again just so I get a better hang of how things work, but alas I have work that time in the morning. Can't wait for the next one though, these are fun to play.

11. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Firstly I'm glad everyone enjoyed it, well more relieved!

I'm kinda busy this weekend with social engagements but I'm always happy to play missions again if anyone wants to.
    I've made a few tweaks - NVGs will now be available in iron sight, I did purposely remove that but I admit it might have been overly harsh! Still I was really impressed how well you guys did when I was detached, it really gives me the confidence to amp it up.

I'm going to re-run the first mission tomorrow (Saturday 24th) at 1400bst - see the steam group for local time.
    Last weekend went really well so it's worth turning up if you missed it.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  12. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

OK Fun Farmers - This weekend we've more ARMA fun.
    Saturday and Sunday at 2000 BST - as always check the Steam group for local time.

This time our work is a lot less linear. How we approach taskings is A LOT more important to our business relations now. Brains before braun wil be required, but we'll need plenty of both.

I put it out to a vote for whether we acquired a MRAP or a UAV Quadrotor - the votes came in 2-1 as MRAP.
    So the company has furnished us with a Stryder MRAP - making us basically impervious to small arms fire & survivable to IEDs, greatly expanding our ability to act with impunity in the insurgent heavy environment. We can roll through town like big dogs and throw our weight around!

However, despite our fuckign Stella performance under fire in the last mission we are still the new kids on the block.
    We've made good friends with the METKA corporation, they've already begun building a serious perimeter wall around our Molos compound as thanks.

We have 3 major taskings available:

• NATO: Want us to clear the area north of Molos of IEDs, investigate abandoned buildings, etc. Useful information leading to the apprehension of suspected rebels will be well paid & will increase our standing with the local brass.
      • Pros:
        • Higher clearance & higher risk/reward taskings for NATO in the future
        • Integration into NATO extended Chain of Command, alowing us to call on NATO supports on missions
      • Cons:
        • Attracting the attention of the insurgents.

• METKA: Our local fixer (snitch) has tipped us off to the location of the a shipment of stolen METKA & military vehicles. A likely collaboration between the criminal element and rebels - we are tasked with recovering as many assets as possible. METKA are paying 40% the value of their vehicles for recovery..
      • Pros:
        • Payment: Solid cash from METKA we'll be able to spend later on better equipment.
        • Spoils: Besides what we can recoer for METKA, anything we can "recover" without NATO knowledge becomes ours.
      • Cons:
        • If NATO find out we "recover" any of their assets without handing them back we may jeopardize our relationship. Of course we can always hand them back for good favour?

• CIVILIAN: Having been pushed too far the owner of a local fishing fleet who was extorted to smuggle for the mob has decided to take a stand & give us the location of the rebel stash house. Likely a distribution hub - we can either hit it and take what we find, give the location to NATO friendlies, or run recon and find where else they are sending the weapons.
      • Pros:
        • We can hit the location and take what we find. Shock and awe.
        • We can find where they are taking the weapons, leading us to bigger weapons caches.
        • We can hand over any intel we find to NATO friendlies, getting us more good favour.
      • Cons:
        • If we hit the stash we are going to be public enemy #1 with the mob & the rebels. We'll have to watch our backs.
        • If we get made checking out the stash house we are going to attract the attention of the insurgents & criminals.

In any case anything we do will have implications. We cannot please everyone.
    We can choose to be aggressive and deal with the consequences later, or we can choose to do recon and bide our time hoping for a biger pay-off with less fall out.
    But we do have an MRAP now...

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  13. Lazybum

Bad news, for some bizarre reason I have been scheduled to work sunday, so I can't join either day.:(

14. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

No worries, we have a pretty small band of merry men and whilst I did kinda want it to be only Empires people I'll probably be drafting in a few other lads to pad it out. Though I definitely don't want it to become MilSim - All about those surprise cinematic moments which I want in every iteration, even though I script them I want to enjoy them so there are many random events and for things to be solved multiple ways.

For example I'll place 20 IEDs with a 5% probability of spawning, so even I don't really know how things will go down. Ideally I want to get 50 hours of playtime out of the campaign myself running it multiple times, but i'd like to do it with you guys first.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  15. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

OK sorry guys, I got kinda busy and distracted by Overwatch ranked season, which I am now coming to terms that I'm never even gonna make platinum because I am a scrublord Lucio main.

Anyway I'm back on track with this and after a bit of multiplayer testing should unravel it in the next couple of weeks.

flasche likes this.
  16. Lazybum

Hot damn, exciting news. Actually how did the last session go? I never heard what happened.

17. flasche

just tell me when and where. i this time i wont have birthday ^^

18. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

By all accounts I think it went very well, I'll run it again for anyone that missed it. The first mission scales well for low player counts, probably the only one that will.

I'm looking at the first weekend(s) of Dec. I'm doing about 3-4 hours a day now on it so I hope it'll be ready soon to test in MP at least. But worst case scenario it'll be new year.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do apologize for the long interlude but I promise it will be worth it. ARMA AI is really very difficult to achieve what I want to make this properly immersive and better than other PvE missions.

This next mission has tons more potential playtime and isn't linear. There are many, many potential encounters - we won't be short of fire-fights and we may have the element of surprise too. But I do intend to make planning and decision making key to success. Teamwork and recon will be essential to survival, let alone success in an insurgent scenario where threats can and will arise at any time unexpectedly. The enemy are disruptive and aim to catch us off guard - we must have our shit together at ALL times and be prepared to react with extreme prejudice.

I can say that playtime could range anywhere from 2-6 hours depending on how observant/diligent players are. Each primary mission has not only a win/loss outcome but also several opportunities to gain resources (think sniper rifles, rpgs, high priority intel).

I want to capture the feeling of fighting an insurgency where the rules of engagement are not obvious & a moment of negligence may result in dire consequences.

Technically:
    I have decided to keep things uncomplicated and stay with the basic settings for the medical, ballistic & NVG systems.

flasche likes this.
  19. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

ok so i'm pretty much there, tested, then low and behold - a 10gb update that kinda killed my task flow. unfortunately and weirdly when you get a task assignment in arma it is all done client-side. So I just need to finesse that with unreasonable amounts of scripting so everyone actually gets tasks assigned in the mission because I really want to submit this to the workshop so it kinda has to work. anyway I'm still working on it and it'll happen soon. I'm being a bit anal because I also want to play and not spend time in-game augmenting with zeus.