Empires Pick-Up Game (PUG) Sourcemod Plugin [Server]

Discussion in 'Coding' started by ScardyBob, Aug 9, 2016.

1. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Just updated it so it will keep the same captains/teams until you use the !pugoff command (previously, it would reset everything after the 2nd round). To change to the next map in the PUG rotation, use the !pugmap <map> command (i.e. after say 2 rounds on canyon, type !pugmap emp_isle to switch to the next round on emp_isle). Right now, the teams will keep swapping sides on the same map until you use the !pugmap command so you can play as many rounds on the same map as you desire.

Neoony likes this.
  2. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Ok, I think I fixed the problems, but I'd like to test the player selection part before the weekend. V0.5 is up.

3. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Feel free to contact me if you need players to test, I'm sure creeper can set-up a server for us to test on before saturday.

4. complete_

complete_ lamer

i'd love to test this thing out. it sounds amazing. i'll try and be online tommorrow

5. Neoony

Neoony Member

maybe test today?
    better than one hour before pug

I should be at pc in 8 hours from now for long enough

probably need atleast 4 people overall, to test everything properly

just creeper gotta set the server

6. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

So to recap a bit of feedback.
    First off a bug, Like Paradox said, sometimes the menu doesn't show up. Also, apparently, if you type just "!pick" it might skip your turn. Of course I forgot to record like a derp so we can't re-check what happened.
    However you can type !pick "name", but that has to be the exact name, but I think you have something planned for that, right? I see it has been discussed that a menu should pop-up with the names that include whatever you typed.
    Yesterday we found out that picking 50+ players takes over half an hour, so adding an !endpick button would be nice.
    One more thing I thought of during the night, using the same method you use to reduce the timer to 10 seconds when both captains are !ready the time should be set to a predefined amount (in the config) when both captains do !endpick or when everyone in spectator has been picked. So you do not end up with a random amount of time.

One more idea, in the interest of making it autonomous, I think there should be a way to trigger it through vote. I'm thinking something similar to !rockthevote, but instead it triggers a votemap and starts the PUG. At the end of the first round it asks if the players want to continue on the same map, change map, or stop.

Anyway, great job!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    Tama likes this.
  7. Trainzack

Trainzack Member

If it helps at all, I recorded a demo which includes most of the picking process.

8. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

I've update the plugin to fix the problems and add some needed features.
    • Alltalk turns on during the team/player selecting phase
    • There is now a 15min (by default) time limit for the captains to pick players. After that, any player in spec will be randomized to a team
    • The captain has indicate he is finished picking players by typing !endpick
    • Admins can now easily add time to the comm vote time by using !addtime

9. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Just noting down what didn't quite work as intended.
    • Player pick menu not showing up for captains half the time, it did show half way I think though.
    • When one of the captains picked someone they ended up with a different player. I think it only happened once, but I don't know for sure, could paradox or Mr x confirm this?
    • I'm pretty sure both captains did type !endpick but it didn't do anything, creeper had to force autoassign in the end.
    • Speaking of which, the !randomspec wasn't working. I'm guessing !endpick didn't work because !randomspec wasn't either.
    • I used the !setpugmap to set map to snowbound and got a confirmation it set the map, but it somehow switched to canyon instead. When it switched to canyon teams were still on the same sides as last map.

I know now that !pugmap doesn't switch sides, and I was going to ask if it could but it might be helpful if it didn't. I say this because it might be nice for some way to keep teams on the same side in case the round needs to be restarted or someone wanted to do a campaign type of event, like what kidpaler outlined here. I'll just have to remember to use !setpugmap, which honestly is easier for me anyway.

10. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

some random dude markus etc complete new player managed to just join NF and then be invunerable to admin commands except kick off server.
    pick system worked after 3rd pick or something
    endpick didnt work

11. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I don't think it was that he couldn't be moved, it was just that he had to be moved with pug plugin's move command and not the usual one, probably because the plugin is saving and forcing players on teams and the usual admin command doesn't change that at all. Creeper didn't know about it I think and I was kinda failing to input it right I think.

12. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

!ready didn't work on the second map, since there was no pick phase it was supposed to work.

13. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

If we're going to organise more PUGs we need to first organize a test to debug Scardybob's plugin as it was having troubles last time we played. Could someone with a server organize that, Scardybob can you get in touch with us?

14. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

15. Mikleo

Mikleo Member

This is going to sound like a complete dick move. And I know with such a small community we shouldn't make competing plugins.

I had this idea yesterday and I haven't been able to shake it. The commander vote GUI is the perfect place to pick players in draft style games. You can block opt in and opt outs, you can set everyones bwantscommander property to 1 and have it so that only the captains can pick players, which then get removed from the comm vote.

Stage 1
    Players join NF and are blocked from joining BE. They vote in the commander vote GUI for the captains. the two players with the highest votes become captain. 50 secs

Stage 2
    All players are added to the comm vote and each comm has 10 seconds to pick a player or it is picked randomly. The players are removed from the comm vote and have [NF]/[BE} appended to their name. you can detect name changes and change them back where necessary.

Stage 3
    the original commander vote time is set, players are placed into their teams and names changed back. they can't join a team they weren't assigned to.

I just think using the commander vote GUI is a much better system than typing !pick etc and this system is fully automatic and doesn't require admin intervention.

Neoony and Paradox like this.
  16. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

holy shit, why is mikleo so revulotionary smart.
    Holy fuck

Also, scardy is pretty chill guy, he'd prolly wanna work together with you

Neoony likes this.
  17. Neoony

Neoony Member

Thats when you learn a bit about SM scripting and realize all the things that are possible to be done for empires, relatively easily with SM scripting xD

But anyways, that sounds nice.
    I always thought maybe add SM menu for this PUG plugin, but yeah...would be bad listing in it.

This sounds pretty nice.
    Just hoping that the whole clunky comm vote thing wont be making problems for it xD

18. Mikleo

Mikleo Member

I think with my squadcontrol plugin I can easily fix comm vote numbers for players, that's if the devs aren't willing to fix it.

19. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

I'm not opposed to this, but I don't have any experience messing with the comm vote menu. If you can figure out how to restrict who can choose from the menu, I'd certainly add it to the plugin. I've never liked the SM menus for choosing things, but its the only thing I've been able to find that can automate the picking process.

20. Thexa4

Thexa4 Developer Staff Member Moderator

We're willing to fix it but it's currently not planned so feel free to create a fix in the meantime. Keep in mind that it might break though.

21. Smithy

Smithy Developer Staff Member Administrator

Why do people make comments like this. People have lives, it's not an unwillingness; it's a lack of time.

flasche and Thexa4 like this.