Vehicular Handling Fixing and Changing

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Lightning, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Lightning

Lightning Member

Reworking the handling? you must be mad!

Well i am, sort of. I wont be changing the basic fundamental aspect of how each vehicle handles, just making them feel more like they should. AND making them more friendly for the new / newer players.

My guidelines for what i aim to do are below (They will be updated as i make progress)
    Green - Already Done and ready to test
    Yellow - Possibility, but MUST be tested first to ensure it is both wanted, and would not mess up balance / something else.
    Red - Not done yet / Not in a testable state.

Overall Changes:
    - Change the direction you turn when hand-braking to match that of your current direction.
    - Add more weight to all to give a less "Floaty" feel and make them feel like they should, Tanks are tanks afterall.

Faction Specific Jeeps:
    - They will no longer be so hard to control, the main is to allow newer players to be able to use them easily.
    - Make the driver a bit more vulnerable by giving the jeep a more steady / flat drive.
    - Possibly test them with boost re-enabled and a boost specific engine.
    - Make BE jeep feel less sluggish than the NF one ( May require a Re-Model )

Imperial Armoured Fighting Vehicle / Northern Faction Light tank:
    - Slighty Easier to control without sacrificing any mobility

Faction Specific Armoured Personnel Carriers:
    - Increase engines overall output
    - Increase steering speeds
    -

Imperial Tank / Northern Faction Medium Tank:
    - Increased steering speeds
    -
    -

Imperial Heavy Tank / Northern Faction Heavy Tank:
    - Be Heavy no longer Spings (Ping Spin / Lag spin) / Spins out when using higher speed engines and possibly scout vehicle speed upgrade.
    - NF heavy feel less like an Armoured school bus ( MIGHT Require a new model )
    - Better steering speeds ( on paper this is the case, requires testing to ensure it feels that way )
    -
    -

Imperial Artillery Vehicle / Northern Faction Artillery Vehicle:
    - Better steering overall
    -
    -
    -

Imperial Command Vehicle / Northern Command Vehicle:

- Fix the issue where jeeps can fuck about with command vehicles very easily. Now they just smash into them effortlessly
    -

Have a suggestion or possible change, maybe a question? feel free to say so down below!
    "Oh this shouldn't be changed bla bla bla" Style feedback will just be ignored, be constructive please and give reasons why or possible other solutions.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  2. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Something to look into, Imperial Tank has very low torque and therefore acceleration compared to all other vehicles.

So, is there a beta branch or something?

3. Lightning

Lightning Member

yes there is, but i wont allow it to be public until there is enough to warrant it.

and the acceleration i believe is due to the axle ratio, which will be fixed separately and is in the latest to come patch.

BUT i will be working on making the mediums a lot more snappy. where as heavies will be a bit more "trudging" to get up to max speed (atleast BE wise), which should slow them down and stop the fuckers from escaping while flashing red, at least a little..

4. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Word of warning on lowering torque, there's quite a few hills and ramps in empires and if the torque/acceleration isn't high enough you won't be able to get up anything with out a running start. It's kind of the reason they are as fast as they are right now.

Whatever you do make sure you test handling on a bunch of maps, I found out the hard way they while it works nice on flatter maps it might be terrible on bumpier maps like insurrection or even crossroads.

VulcanStorm likes this.
  5. Avatarix

@Lightning would you please give us the scripts now to test them out?
    that way we could give you some more feedback (and I personally want to drive a jeep and actually have fun)

6. Lightning

Lightning Member

i have a few more tweaks todo, publicly avalible we be tomorrow

7. Avatarix

>_<

8. Lightning

Lightning Member

yes yes i know, ive been preoccupied. i need to get into it again

9. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

Cool! Thank you, Lightning. I hope you're using version control for your scripts, so that there's always an online backup, and so that you don't get that problem of slipping back, having forgotten what change made it stop working nicely.

I'm pretty confident the instructions I wrote in the scripting repository readme are all you need to track and publish your scripts (it explains the basics of version control, in fact); let me know if anything is unclear. Once you have a fork, I can put it onto a beta to make it even easier for people.

10. Lightning

Lightning Member

thexa is helping me with the versioning, each version goes up on Dropbox and then he puts it on Git as i domt know how git works so yeah :P.

11. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Lightning has informed us that he's unwilling to continue this vehicle handling rework.

I have made contact with someone and he's willing to work on an independent version of vehicle handling.

Who? I'll let him speak for himself.

12. Lightning

Lightning Member

I havent stopped. Just took a break. The person i told mis interpreted my words.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Xyaminou likes this.
  13. Marxman

Marxman Member

man, everything handles like a brick with a trunk full of bricks with wheels made of the materials black holes are made of. What happened? its been years since I played, and I appreciate the attempt to simulate weight, but damn, its impossible to drive well on maps like glacier for a shit driver like me.

14. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

It always was.