Player count?

Discussion in 'General' started by PredatoR[HUN], May 2, 2013.

1. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

I remember a few years back a some guy made a graph showing the amount of people that played empires and during which times and
    I was wondering if server owners could see how many different people play on their servers?

Or if anyone has an idea of how many players we have right now.

2. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

3. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Don't worry, Spartacus, I'm sure it would have gotten derailed without outside help anyways.

Personally I would estimate ~120 players who continue to play currently (includes players who play weekly, daily, etc. and those that are on maybe once or twice a month). This figure isn't really grounded on anything in particular aside from my own experience on server and checking the server lists through steam in my free time. It's honestly probably slightly less than this. There are players I've seen maybe once or twice over a long period of time who never say anything or interact with the team in any way. I also see many new faces on fridays/weekends, and sometimes a person sticks with it. I've seen several players go from newbies to active players in my short time playing this game that started this way.

4. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

The problem isn't really player count (although that could be higher) It's that a server can be killed by a map change or a bad round really fucking fast.

5. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

ya but its not just the 'bad' map that does it, the downloads are at crap speeds and the maps are huge in filesize for an average connection. I always disconnect, go to fastDL link and fly it through a download accelerator app, that gets me back in the game in 3 mins or so, cause i have to drop the files into the directory manually (poor me eh) but if i didn't do this it would take at least 10-15 mins to download from server.

Who wants to regularly be doing that much waiting when all they want to do is play and learn the game, frankly we need to support the game better as far as map support for new people. Cause I don't think any vets would really even continue to play if we only did stock maps...

Is there not a way to drop a map pack in the emp distro and put a big red flag in the news thing or motd or both to tell new players that they can install the custom maps at their own risk and that they are already downloaded onto their pc??

6. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

-SIP-
    He's the guy u be looking for

7. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

8. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

Nice, I wonder what causes those huge spikes. Like, does everyone decide to play at the same fucking time?

9. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Oh, it's just the reporting getting messed up, it happens occasionally, they're best ignored.

10. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I would be more interested in a plugin that maps the players it sees by steam ID. So that you can look up a persons name later by his current visible name and see when they generally play, how often, and for how long. No longer would you have to ask people when they play.

11. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

I would use this to stalk so many people.
    I think I might be creepy

12. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I might do the same.