Overwatch Released

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by A-z-K, May 23, 2016.

1. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

So Blizzard are finally releasing over watch. Pretty good review here for anyone who hasn't seen any of the hype so far:

I played a few days of the open Beta & really enjoyed it.
    Did anyone else play the Beta?

Is anyone else going to be playing come the stroke of midnight? My ID is 21843

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

60$ is no bueno.

3. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I'm picking it up for £30. Don't need all the skins and stuff

4. FN198

FN198 Member

I don't see the draw, anywhere.

5. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

[​IMG]

What are you? Gay?

6. FN198

FN198 Member

No but that outfit definitely is.

7. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Played the Beta. Was genuinely surprised at how fun I found it. It seems to fit perfectly in between Dota and TF2. 6v6 is a nice team size to make each individual matter, on top of which the variation in hero roster is really impressive. Also, the game length feels about perfect to me, similar to a game of Rocket League or something, so around the 10 minute mark. As much as I love Dota, committing to an hour at a time can sometimes be too much to ask, and for CS:GO that would be even more which is a big part of why I don't play much of it. I appreciate games that let me quickly get in a quick session if I'm not sure how long I have free.

I'm a whore for skins and shit so I ordered the origin version, but I've got a physical copy coming from Tesco Direct between tomorrow and Friday, £36. As A-z-K said you can get it for £30 without that. In the US I'm pretty sure you can get it for sub-$40, if not around $30.

I'm not sure how fun I'd find the game playing on my own, but I certainly enjoyed playing it with others in Teamspeak.

Neoony likes this.
  8. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Just spent a thoroughly fun 3 hours playing it.
    Balance feels good and it has a tendancy to produce some real wow moments. Overtime pushing the point or landing a huge Ultimate ability.
    I'm playing with a few die hard blizzard fans who have been playing since the alpha you'd be welcome to join us I'm sure. Its definitely a game that benefits from an organised team, in game VOIP is pretty good and the whole thing is really polished, good match making.

I'm really impressed with it, all the classes are rewarding - I enjoy playing a healer as much as a damage dealer and like you said there is a lot of variation in the roster.

Neoony likes this.
  9. Nivlystug

Nivlystug Member

:( -- No disposable income

10. Neoony

Neoony Member

Then Iam in.
    Couldnt wait for a game similar to TF.
    And the fact that Blizzard is making an FPS (first one?) makes it seem fresh.

Any idea of specific time it unlocks?
    EDIT: nvm
    [​IMG]
    This is when you can start playing in Europe:
    • 00:00 BST on May 24
    • 01:00 CEST on May 24
    • 02:00 MSK on May 24
    wait, isnt it supposed to be unlocked?
    Bought it 20 minutes ago and it was still pre-purchase. And Iam still waiting for the purchase to process (its quite slow with blizzard)

EDIT2: nvm, my region was set wrong

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    A-z-K likes this.
  11. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I dunno, 40$ is still a bit much. Annoyingly this is blizzard too so I wouldn't expect to see a sale drop anytime within the next couple of years.

I will say I like how you can change characters mid game, I thought it was like dota and you're stuck with whoever for the whole round. Trickster saying rounds are like 10 minutes is also kinda nice. I might grab it whenever I get the money, Kinda spent my reserve on that audio setup.

12. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Still waiting on my hard copy to arrive, might be a few more days :(

13. complete_

complete_ lamer

i watched conan play it and it looks really bland and boring, so ill probably never buy it

are there any videos that show that its interesting? i watched azk's video and the balancing based on 21 characters seems neat, but im still not really excited about this

14. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

You pretty much need to Change hero's fairly often to counter other hero's. At first some can seem Op, but there
    Maybe its not for you then, I think that video I posted did a pretty good job of highlighting what the game does well and is about.
    If you watch tubes of it, it defintely looks like a pretty generic shooter in a cartoon style, thats exactly what I thought initially and I wrote it off. I wasn't at all interested despite watching a few videos and listening to my friend who had the Alpha droning on and on about it all the time. But after a day playing the Beta I changed my mind. Theres some nuance and depth that starts to come through that is hard to showcase in a video - it rewards teamwork before anything else which is my main concern in any game. Also I have mostly played in a group of likeminded individuals, I don't know how much that carries through into the pub matchmaking. I think VOIP is pretty essential, the amount of information that gets passed around can get pretty high.

15. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Everyone I mentioned Overwatch to before they tried the beta said exactly the same.

Everyone I mentioned Overwatch to after they tried the beta said the complete opposite.

16. Neoony

Neoony Member

Iam quite interested in the competitive mode.
    But it was delayed, because of community feedback until sometime next month. (better delayed than crappy)

Would be cool if they managed to make it atleast a bit like csgo, when it comes to communication and such even with randoms.

Having fun so far, its just shame there arent actual community servers and such. The game is pretty much only handled over Matchmaking.
    And there seem to be only 2 things you can do to join game (talking solo+multiplayer), one is quick game, which just throws you into some game and it rotates all maps/modes. Or some "weekly brawl" (arcade) with some gameplay adjustments, which seems to be the same thing, just with those gameplay adjustments (like double health, shorter cooldowns or etc...)

Blizzard seems to love "generic" matchmaking xD (looking mostly at WoW)

I would love if I could choose what to play and such. But its nothing absolutely terrible, just hoping competitive mode will extend the longetivity of the game.

....also sometimes rounds almost feel too short, can be a good thing and a bad thing, just wish there were also some longer games or gamemodes.

But one thing I quite love are the highlights and even the kill cam. Best kill sequence of anyone is gonna be replayed at the end of the match and players can also commend a player which was doing good. I would say this adds bit of a "personal" kind of feel to the game. Same as the game being only 6v6, which also makes it quite tactical.

So far so good, we see how long will that last :P

17. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Yeah I've already beasted about 14 hours in to it. The highlight / kill cams & Play of the game replays are actually pretty cool, I usually detest that stuff but it doesn't seem cheap here. Like you say - so far so good

18. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I played the beta thoroughly and enjoyed it, but no way I was paying £45 for the origins bundle with a bunch of skins. Even £30 was a lot, but I felt it was worth it because I genuinely have fun playing it, and not in an ultra competitive way but in a pretty friendly way. And it's also easy to put down, which is a bonus.

I feel like what Overwatch can offer is a small scale version of the type of good teamplay we get from empires. Each player is a bit more important, and when you get things going well you can really have some good camaraderie and epic plays going. Nothing really works like Empires, but if we could get that kind of ratio in Empires it would be a dream.

19. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

I still have to wait rought 13 hours to play this, pay comes in at 0030 on the last day of the month.

20. Deiform

Deiform Member

The Play of the Games are hilarious. The number of times I've gotten them by ulting as Hanzo in the general direction of the enemy is ridiculous. It's basically who picked an op hero and killed 3-5 guys with it. They'll probably adjust it a bit more because I've seen Lucio plays where he tanks 5k damage using his ult and amp and it doesn't even get mentioned on the voting cards.