Guide: How to download the new Empires beta

Discussion in 'Testing Discussion' started by Jephir, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

Accessing the new Empires beta is easier than before.

1. Backup Empires

If you have custom content in your Empires directory, you should make a backup of your current Empires folder before proceeding. Empires is usually installed at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Empires.

This is just a precaution since you're running a beta version. You don't need to use this backup to return to regular Empires once you're done testing, and you only need this backup at all for your custom models, scripts, or (text) files that you consciously added; otherwise, you can skip this step.

2. Opt Into the Beta

In your Steam library, right-click Empires and click Properties. Click the Betas tab and choose Beta - Empires Beta Test.

Close the properties window. Steam will now update Empires to the beta version. Click Play to launch Empires beta.

3. Join the Test Server

Once Empires is running, connect to the testing server; this should be listed in the forum announcement, but the server name will also contain "beta". Alternatively, you can host your own. If so, after starting you should open the console (set "Multiplayer options > Developer console" on, then press ~ left of the number keys) and do "exec testing" so that you can cheat; see "How to speed up singleplayer testing" for more information.

4. Opt Out of the Beta

Follow the same steps in the opt-in section above, but choose NONE - Opt out of all beta programs instead. Steam will update Empires back to the regular version.

FAQ

How large is the update?

Usually it will be 10-100 MB. Steam will only download what has changed between the regular version and the beta version. The downloaded files are not cached however. This means the difference has to be re-downloaded each time when switching between regular and beta.

How do I know if I'm running regular or beta?

In the steam games list, Empires ends with [beta] when you are opted in to beta. Also, from the main menu, the version identifier in the bottom right will end in "beta".

Will opting into beta overwrite my custom content?

Only if we add an updated file that conflicts with your custom content. You can restore your custom content with your backup after you're done testing and have opted out of the beta.

Steam will not overwrite any controls or config files. These directories and files are safe and will never be overwritten:
    • scripts\presets\
    • cfg\
    • mapcycle.txt
    • maplist.txt
    • motd.txt
    • pure_server_whitelist.txt
    • serverconfig.vdf
    Can I continue to use Empires SVN?

No. We've stopped using SVN entirely; you should update through steam.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2016
  2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Can't make the background pic in empires start say "BETA" in big red letters?

3. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

Then when we release it will also say beta. A release build is just a beta build that's been set live.

[​IMG]

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

You make such pretty diagrams Jephir.

5. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

So, backup the Empires folder is not a must right?
    I don't really want to have 10GB wasted in my harddrive.

6. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Nope security, just chop and change as necessary

7. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I tested it without backing up, it only seems to download about 160 MBs so a backup doesn't seem necessary.

Btw, this system is awesome, 1000x better than SVN, release clients, and modifying the steamuser.cfg file.

8. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Yeah it only downloads files that have changed, in this case its so big because so many maps have been updated. Hopefully it will be smaller in future. Worth backing up any custom sounds / models you have but apart from things like that its not important

9. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Weathly can you start a new thread that describes to new players how to get started with the game? You might want to mention issues that have been addressed. Some of us will link old discussions in the groups to that thread to let them know the previous issues are addressed.

Main web page needs updating too. http://www.empiresmod.com/

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  10. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

They only need to download Empires and play, no need for instructions. News needs to be posted though, I really don't understand why nothing has been updated.

11. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Needs beerdude to update the main web page, I;m just finishing off a changelog and making an announcement thread of changes.

As DDD said all you have to do now is download Empires (all additional stuff that is required will be installed automatically).

12. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

When he says get started I think he means how to play empires, so we don't (hopefully) get too many clueless new people.

13. D.D.D. Destroyer

I'd make a quick video tutorial of the absolute basics but I don't have the stuff required.

14. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

15. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

put the research tree in the news window ...

16. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Updated website front page.

17. D.D.D. Destroyer

Get the in-game news panel fixed up too, it still shows 2.41 news from last March.

18. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Can we stop all this bloody cross posting please.

DDD you already have a thread in suggestions that I've replied to and kept you updated on

19. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

Just in case anyone ever has a issue using the dropdown to select beta, just use your up/dwn arrows keys to select it.

20. Redskull

Redskull Member

I'm having a bit of a problem here, I got this beta version as well as the SVN one, but I can't create a server in order to try out models and stuff in-game.
    Both versions launch just fine but they boot me back to the start screen whenever i try starting a map.

My launch options for the SVN and Source SDK base 2013 Multiplayer are both set to -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\sourcemods\empires"
    I have not changed anything inside the empires folders.