Game doesn't start without a comm.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Sgt.Security, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I already suggested this in dev section but why not post here too?

We all know how many rounds have been wasted by "GG no comm in the first 2 mins" .

So here's my suggestion :

If we are playing a comm map and there are players on both sides, someone must opt in for both sides, or the game will not start.

When comm vote timer hits 0, the game checks if there's a comm for both sides.
    If not, the comm vote will extend itself for 15 secs. (Loops up to a cap, maybe 5 minutes.)

The only issue that I can come up with is people will exploit this in a scrim to buy more time, but dude it's a scrim, we can call it an auto-forfeit if one side exploits this.

Neoony and BlackRedDead like this.
  2. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

good idea I suggested this myself months ago. I hope it can be implemented.

BlackRedDead likes this.
  3. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Only a problem from something like unpopulated / training server where someone might want to jump into the CV and play vs nobody.
    Can it be a server variable?

Otherwise I think its a simple solution to a big problem.

4. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Agreed. Played a game where nobody went com so i did. Drove the boom tank into a river :/

5. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

BlackRedDead likes this.
  6. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Good idea, but I'd love to still see either a fixed limit (like 5min) that either starts the match or skips the map (ends the round for a new map or map vote) so you don't get 10+ min of boring idling.

On a related note, having the ability to manually disable/enable the timer and/or start a round would be great for plugin development. If this is gonna get worked on, I'd love the ability to disable the timer/manually start a round for my PUG plugin.

7. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

I do agree that your idea would help - but it doesn't solve the major issue:
    Nub: Well no one would com - so I did.
    Vet: But now the game is ruined because you didn't know what to do and the enemy owns 3/4 of the map.
    Nub: Well NO ONE WOULD COM

I don't think someone should be allowed in the com unless they are voted in, and get one vote more than their own vote, unless it's less than 5v5 - then anyone can take it.

Nubs in the com vehicle is the major issue that ruining games. Every 9 year old kid out there is asking "Can I command?".

BlackRedDead likes this.
  8. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I never minded a new person commanding, as long as they had a basic idea of how to do the absolute basics of commanding which is no different then any rts game. In that situation you described I get mad more at the vet then the new guy, at least they tried.

That said I do like the idea of needing more then one vote if it's bigger then a 5v5, it kinda always felt off for someone to win with one vote, it's like people saying they don't want them in the cv but there's no way to actually say no to that guy.

Also, I feel like this suggestion has been here ever since they made comm vote opt in. It just makes sense.

BlackRedDead likes this.
  9. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

If you couldn't vote for yourself - that would help. I have a rule - if I opt in and no one votes for me - I won't com. It's upto someone else to jump in at that point. If you didn't start the game until someone was voted on, the guy who didn't hit the key to vote would be reminded to vote.

BlackRedDead likes this.
  10. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

5min is quite much, 1min should be enough time for the vets comming out of theire "spec sadomism"!
    (wich is the major cause of ruined games, not newbie coms! - tough noob coms are an issue too, especially vets that play noobish on intention like scrat -.-#)

i think what would greatly help is a "com vote" afterwards, to rate his performance ;-)
    maybe 50% autorated by his actual actions (tracked through the match, research times, building, reacting on requests - to prevent to subjective votes!) and 50% voted by the teammembers (just a 3 star vote, with the option to give 0 stars if the com was bad and a -1 star penalty if the com actually got voted out in the match (by reducing the needed percentage to 60%) - but also adding a request vote with the ability to vote for a new commander too (implemented in squadscreen) - wich acts as a replacer, the player voted for alternative com gets "ported" into the com vehicle ;-)
    (to clarify, you can get and hold 3 stars but they are filled rather than given ;-) - meaning you get 1 full star if you have a perfect round where everyone loves you and the autotracker also attest you being super-com - meaning that in best cases you could get around a half star after a round - but mostly less! (see 1 star as 100% rating, while coms can't get under that 1 star after they reached it but will suffer a time based "star drain" afterwards, make it hard to reach&keep 2/3 star rating!)

i agree on that selfvoting on larger party's (>5vs5) is an issue and should be removed! (tough i didn't think it harms the voting of vets, but newbs follow the 1 voted guy while the vets decide who should get voted... xP)
    (at low pop it can still help to actually get someone voted as com if the lobby is full of newbies! - otherwise happy "who get in the boom tank first" race xP - can we add FF for the first 5s of the match then? xD)

11. Neoony

Neoony Member

This all sounds nice.
    But how about people only going comm to start the round and then leave the CV?
    Or you would have to enforce them somehow? :(

Think this would happen, way too often.

VulcanStorm and Xyaminou like this.
  12. Lazybum

I say so what to that, that's no different then round starting anyway with no one in cv. At least this helps a little bit.

VulcanStorm likes this.
  13. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

then we could aswell go back to everyone being eligible for comm like it was "in the old days"

14. Lazybum

I wouldn't mind that to be honest...

15. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

I feel that the opt in system is good. It means players who don't want to comm don't get the responsibility thrown on them.

However the game start should definitely delay(maybe by 30secs) unless both teams have a commander. Of course this should repeat until both teams have commanders but I'm not sure how this would work in a 1v1 situation... Or when seeding the server and playing alone...

BlackRedDead likes this.
  16. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

15s are just enough, but it should be combined with a "warning"(bigred) screen message like "please vote a com" to make everyone on team aware of the need to vote someone (or opt in, but you need to be voted, so better attach the check to the actual vote! - especially if selfvoting gets removed for >5vs5 matches!)

17. CRITAWAKETS

CRITAWAKETS Member

Make some exceptions to this system.

If the enemy team is empty, the game will start without a comm. If this exception is not implemented, testing of new features will be difficult.
    If no comm is selected after a while the game will just ignore it and start the game without a comm.

18. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

already mentioned several times that this "delaying to vote for a com" should only take place at games bigger than 5vs5! ;-)
    thus meaning 9vs0-5 games can still start without! ;-)

the loop shouldn't be infinite thats true - but also got mentioned already:
    i personally would suggest a 1-2min restriction by 15-30s loop, so it occurs only 4 times! - 1min should be already more than enouht, but maybe equal classic mode start time with IO mode (i never understood why you have more time to wait on infantry only maps than classic mode!?)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  19. complete_

complete_ lamer

agreed with black red dead on both counts. this needs to be removed when its games smaller than a certain number, because the fact is in smaller games the game doesnt end so quickly due to lack of com. you cant force a new player to be a com or even know how to opt in. five minutes is also too long. if it hasnt happened by 2 minutes, it aint happening.
    and this doesnt stop a person from opting in just to leave comm after the game starts so it stops looping for 5+ minutes. otherwise i am for it

also i just want to point out how fucked up it is that security gets his suggestions just because he talks about it in dev chat and butters everyone up. love that when one tries to make suggest normally instead of backroom talking, he ends up on page 2+