emp_shadows

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Cyber-Kun, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

What you suggested on that road in the north east, I am going to end up doing.
    I figured that would be the best way to balance the first real NF flag with the first real BE flag.

[​IMG]

As long as you pretend there is fire, the spot will be fine.

What texture do you suggest then?
    I will test some other textures myself thought.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  2. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

Apparently people don't like Shadows.
    Well some people do, but it has been removed from a bit of servers.

Could people provide feedback on why it is not liked?

3. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

On Nachos & Juicebox, I've heard a lot of complaints about it being a pain for moving vehicles around the map - for instance, they'll get frustrated & express their anger about there being too many props & other objects on which to get stuck or bump into. Other people don't like how it's dark, or don't like how ammo crates can't be dropped due to the no-build zone, etc.

The map has definitely improved from its original version, but for some reason it's lacking something that makes players want to come back for more. I personally like it - and I used to hate the original, and never had anything good to say about it. The latest version is fun, but comes with some annoying nuances (such as getting vehicles stuck on all sorts of random things, prop_static cars from HL2, etc.).

There are some people who feel the map favors BE over NF, or NF over BE. I've not played it enough to notice a direct imbalance though.

I like how at every flag or chokepoint, there tends to be at least one alternate path to the next flag. For instance, while teams duke it out in the street, infantry can go through buildings & etc. - not to get to the other side or to get to the entire South area of the map, but just enough to have a 2nd means with which to push the enemy back & sneak through to take flags, etc.

I don't know what else could improve it, and a lot of people's version of feedback is merely such statements as: "This map sucks!", "I hate this map!", "everyone rtv", etc.

Though a brighter environment -might- do the map some good. Dark maps in Source games and Source mods aren't all that great and rarely work out, because so many people will just turn up their gamma to spot enemies who think they're covered well or hidden by darkness. This is a phenomenon not limited to the Source engine, though. Any game that throws gamma control to its user is susceptible to failing miserably at dark multiplayer maps. I do like the aesthetics of a dark map though - it's a nice change, especially after playing emp_orangeland (;) Mayama), etc.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  4. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I dont find it is to dark and I never got any of my tanks stuck, seriously...
    It sounds like the standart "i dont know the map so I feel helpless and might
    lose cause I wasnt able to memorize the whole map" excuse.
    You can experience it on every custom map, people are just searching
    an excuse why they suck. I saw people complaining because they die...
    on custom maps... :pathetic:

5. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

the map is great. It is hard to dislodge the enemy from the middle, but once you do, it's a quick push back. usually action gets held up at the park or the hotel for BE or NF respectively.

People need to get used to some of the newer maps, as empires won't last long with only 5-8 maps to play.

6. GoodGame

GoodGame Member

I mostly like Shadows. I think difficulty of moving vehicles because of the tight and narrow corners, and maybe a general hatred of conquest maps pisses some people off. My only frustration was the chokepoint at the middle which was a big blind spam point.

7. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

you need to get a group of vehicles to get that point. Probably the best way is to get 2 mediums up front with an APC behind. meds rush in with APC following, then you cap the flag.

8. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

Or I fix that area some. Good idea?

Originally that is you where supposed to do on that flag though, just everyone forgets about rushing.

9. GoodGame

GoodGame Member

My experience was it was just mediums trying to hit each other at the mid and the infantry trying to move up, but so much spam at the point where the ammo boxes are at the mid that it was impossible for a vehicle to push through alive. My thoughts earlier were to have a more open vehicle area adjacent to the mid so there was more maneuver and less spam. Or more cover at the mid for infantry to push up. Or just make the turn at the midpoint much wider, and solve the lag issues (due to sightlines) by having walls outside of the middle room.

10. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

add more res per flag.

ppl dont like it cause they cant just spam vehicles, and if they suck and lose their apc's (often happens) then they are fubar'd and lose the map.

alternatively, FIX the spawnpoints. Otherwise the map will always fail when noob apc drivers hamper their team.

11. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

Just played Shadows for the first time and I loved it. Great map.

12. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

I'm finally working on the graphics side of Shadows. Lately most of the work has been for gameplay, and along with a few needed gameplay fixes, I will clean up the map.
    Small example here.
    Ignore the broken area_portal

Also, I need help. This is part of my compile log.

brushes 6724/8192 80688/98304 (82.1%) VERY FULL!
    brushsides 62012/65536 496096/524288 (94.6%) VERY FULL!

As you can see, I need a little help with my brushs. What I do need thought to take out about 2000 brushsides, is a new texture.
    The way I make the street curves in Shadows is very very bad. Could someone decent with textures take a look at this.
    It is a vmf of part of the streets I use to make Shadows. Could someone make the whole thing a single texture for the street?

13. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

Could someone look at the Street Problem?
    I really need a texture made based off of that.

14. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

15. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

haven't looked at the .vmf but ever thought about useing displacements to make road curves, this way it's only one face being used and not like 20.

16. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

It really, really feels like a lot of people have me on ignore in this forum.

17. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

poor bumgravy lol

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i wont ignore you bumgravy *hugs* :(

19. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I think the major problem of shadows is the center flag
    its the most uninteresting place of the whole map, a empty
    hall, but its the place where two even teams spend the most time on.

20. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

I'm thinking about deleting the north flag itself.
    How would that change the map?