[2.5 RC4] emp_chain incorrect starting ref placement

Discussion in 'Closed bugs' started by CyberKiller, Apr 29, 2014.

1. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

The NE start base starts with the refinery placed way outside it's base rather than on the ref node in it's base.
    Screenshot 1
    Screenshot 2
    Could probably be fixed using entspy.
    Unless of course this behaviour is intentional.

Edit: Oops, should have posted this in non-code bugs...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  2. Silk

Silk Mapper

Well spotted but not a bug. This was intentional for balancing. The reason why is the distance that players in the north and players in the south have to travel to get to the refineries. Northern teams had to travel quite a bit further and had a significant disadvantage. I liked the ref placements though from a gameplay standpoint and went looking for a different solution than to just move them. So I went ahead and measured (in actual gameplay distance following accessable terrain) the distance between the bases and the refineries. The disadvantage for northern teams was too big to ignore it, and one of the things I tested out was the distance that had to be travelled if I actived the second ref instead of the first one for northern teams. And quite by accident tbh it turned out it matched the southern distance pretty much exactly that way and I went for that solution.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/234836/mapping/emp_chain/refs distances.gif

Look at the numbers as income difference in time, not just as distance in space because people can go to multiple refineries at once and several can be collecting resources at the same time.

For example a team starting in southwest only needs to travel 292 for their first ref, and 313 for the second. This is 605 total to have all the refs up and running in their own area

The other team however (northeast) needs to travel 387 and 563 which is 950 and not fair compaired to 605. By having the second ref spawn, the NE team only needs to travel like 40 for the ref in their own base and 563 for the 3rd to have all 3 refs, which adds up to 603. This is very comparable to the 605 of the SW team.

The other scenario is also very satisfactory. The SE team needs to travel 265 + 396 = 661, while the opponent in the North would have had to travel 458 and 598 for a total of 1056. By placing the second ref instead of the first this is now 598 + 50 = 648 which is again very close to the 661 of the other team.

I made much more balancing calculations btw to prefer this solution to others including advantages and disadvantages of the terrain, but this example on it's own already shows quite well why I did it.

So it looks weird, but it's completely balanced this way and it's nice to have a difference anyway :)

I'm sure all other maps were designed for balance just as much as this one ^^

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  3. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

I see, I guess someone can move this thread to closed bugs then.