Vehicle creation queue

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Freaknovich, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

One of the most annoying things to deal with in this game is having perfectly time your vehicle creation. What can be worse than having waited several minutes until there is enough res to build a tank, only to have someone come in and build a tank of their own a split second before you do? What I am suggesting is the implementation of some kind of vehicle build queue, allowing the first come to be the first served. This can also eliminate the need of going through another attempt at building a vehicle after someone else stops your initial creation by building their own tank from that vf. Your vehicle will simply be built immediately after theirs leaves the vf. After giving this some more thought, I realized there are few issues that this can cause, and I have listed the below, along with the solutions I came up with.

Problems:

What if someone is queued to build a really expensive tank our team cannot afford yet and all I want is an APC?

The person who is waiting to build their tank (let's say it costs 1200) should have that 1200 (minus their wages) reserved to them. If someone else wants to build a vehicle purely from wages, they should be able to do so while the other person is waiting for their 1200 tank.

What if some douche decides to reserve a super expensive tank and decides to go afk?

The queue should have a short expiry time of 5-10 seconds. This will ensure the guy who is waiting for his tank is still there. The way this can be done, is when attempting to build a tank that is too expensive, the build menu will persist, with a queue button that you must press to put yourself in the queue, and press it again to refresh the your place in the queue every 5-10 seconds. Also, the command should have the option to clear all current queues that are in place.

What happens if the vf is clogged?

If the vf is clogged, you should have the option to queue your vehicle creation, instead of having to re-open the vehicle menu. Depending on your place in the queue, your vehicle will be built once the vf is clear.

2. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Been suggested before (once by myself), and been shot down. Can't remember why but there were several good reasons. Although I do agree that the root of the problem is really annoying.

3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

For some reason I imagine people just sitting in the vf refreshing to get their tank. I guess this is no different then what some people do now, but there is a difference between a guarantee and a possibility.

Though a vehicle queue like what planetside2 has would be neat. Like what you suggested at the end of your post.

4. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

We can't have the starcraft method where you can only que 5 at time?

5. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I fear that this would simply lead to people sitting in the VF waiting for vehicles because instead of there being a chance of a person getting the vehicle somewhat soon, there's a guarantee that they'll get their vehicle if they just wait. I like the concept behind a queue because people wouldn't get frustrated getting cut off from making vehicles by others, but that frustration does help stop people from sitting around in the VF.

6. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

Well if the whole reservation of res and queue is too far fetched, I would say that there should at least be way to not have the vehicle menu disappear if your vehicle creation was not successful. Could there not be a place on the vehicle menu to output the "vf is busy lul" message?

7. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

If there's no res it shouldn't queue, but it should function like Planetside 2 where multiple people can roll out tanks seemlessly without having to meet "VF is blocked or something lul" every time.

8. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

If the player is still in the VF and if there's still enough res, it could show a message "VF is busy producing a vehicle, will retry your build attempt in 3 seconds" ? This build queue stuff sounds really complicated for something that could be easily fixed with automatic retries.

9. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

The PS2 queue works well because there's no shared resources, I can easily imagine the problems of losing resources to noobs becoming worse that the current issue. Beerdude's idea sounds good though.

10. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

If you decide to add this, can you put this thread into the implemented section? This is a special thread after all.